blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 01:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  National Anthems
Poll
Question: Which country has the best national anthem?
Italy
France
Germany

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: National Anthems  (Read 13077 times)
ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 12:07:52 PM »

Abolish the monarchy and the House of Lords.  Ridiculous establishments for a modern, democratic nation.

Only if you'll abolish the House of Commons, then. 

Can't stand our Gordon.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »

Abolish the monarchy and the House of Lords.  Ridiculous establishments for a modern, democratic nation.

Can't stand our Gordon.

Irrelevant.  Our government is democratically elected - chosen by the people of the UK (although the actual democratic system we use is flawed, but that's a different argument).

House of Lords makes a mockery of 'democracy' - an elected second chamber would make more sense.  As would no monarch.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 12:20:45 PM »

Abolish the Monarcy and Great Britain has nothing that sets it apart from the rest of the world.

A lot of countries are envious that we have a queen and that is proven by the vast amount of visitors they get when they travel.

Like it or not they are ambassadors for this country and when they travel they advertise us and bring prosperity to the nation.

No other nation thinks that we should get rid of the Monarchy. It is just British people who don't like them and I can't understand why? Maybe it's jealousy. Brits in general don't like to see anyone who apparently wields more power than they do.

I'm happy to be a subject of my Queen. It's not like she's going to ask me to lay down my life for her. She doesn't ring me up every now and again demanding that I kneel for a minute or two.

Believe me whatever they cost the nation the Monarchy are a bargain.

(Apart from Edward of course)

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »

Can't stand our Gordon.

Irrelevant.  Our government is democratically elected - chosen by the people of the UK (although the actual democratic system we use is flawed, but that's a different argument).

House of Lords makes a mockery of 'democracy' - an elected second chamber would make more sense.  As would no monarch.

Like you say, ignoring all the flaws in our electoral system, that allows a minority choice total power, Our Gordon wasn't democratically elected, and any system that allows any old Tom Dick or Harry to suddenly become our leader ( one with the power to actually lead us to war etc, not just a figurehead like Liz ) is every bit as flawed as the idea of a monarchy.

Either keep the monarchy, or get rid of the whole system, and start again.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

Abolish the Monarcy and Great Britain has nothing that sets it apart from the rest of the world.

Eh? We're not the only monarchy in the world.  How does it 'set us apart'?

A lot of countries are envious that we have a queen and that is proven by the vast amount of visitors they get when they travel.

Lots of people do lots of silly things.  Doesn't mean they're right.

Like it or not they are ambassadors for this country and when they travel they advertise us and bring prosperity to the nation.

I don't like it, and Ginger Spice has been an ambassador for the country - doesn't mean her children and her children's children should be given extra privileges, does it? 

No other nation thinks that we should get rid of the Monarchy. It is just British people who don't like them and I can't understand why?

They are completely irrelevant to British people.  An elected president as a 'figurehead' would make far more sense.  In my opinion of course.

Maybe it's jealousy. Brits in general don't like to see anyone who apparently wields more power than they do.

I don't like to see people placed into positions of privilege and power just because they were born in the right family.

I'm happy to be a subject of my Queen. It's not like she's going to ask me to lay down my life for her.

Why do you want to be a subject of someone else?  Is she better than you?

She doesn't ring me up every now and again demanding that I kneel for a minute or two.

No, she'd have to pay extra for that...

I don't believe you.

...and the rest of his family.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »

Coz ours is best  thumbs up
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »

Coz ours is best  thumbs up

Oh, I forgot about that.

Grin

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »

I'm talking about the more powerful countries. We're set apart from them.

If it's democracy you're after then unfortunately what lots of people do is right.

I don't like it, and Ginger Spice has been an ambassador for the country - doesn't mean her children and her children's children should be given extra privileges, does it?

Is that the best you could come up with?     Grin

No other nation thinks that we should get rid of the Monarchy. It is just British people who don't like them and I can't understand why?

They are completely irrelevant to British people.  An elected president as a 'figurehead' would make far more sense.  In my opinion of course.

But what if we end up with someone like George Bush? At least the Monarchy are trained from birth to be ambassadors and do and say the right things. Admittedly they make mistakes but they are human after all.

Maybe it's jealousy. Brits in general don't like to see anyone who apparently wields more power than they do.

I don't like to see people placed into positions of privilege and power just because they were born in the right family.

You'd rather vote them in to power and privilege? What about non royals born in to money? Should they be denied it? It's not their fault.

The Monarchy goes back a long time and if you're born in to it now then yes you're privileged. Years ago you had to fight wars and get your head chopped off and things. It's a long standing family line that shouldn't be broken just because it's easier these days.

I'm happy to be a subject of my Queen. It's not like she's going to ask me to lay down my life for her.

It's not that I want to be but I am and it's not a problem so I don't mind. I'd prefer to be a subjct of my Queen than to have someone with any background voted in to rule over me as a president.

She doesn't ring me up every now and again demanding that I kneel for a minute or two.

£1.50/m from BT landlines. Other networks may vary.

I don't believe you.

Well it's true so you should

Most of them probably yes. Not the Queen though. She's ace!!!

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »

If only you'd put FACT after your post.  You missed your chance.

The monarchy is a bad idea, FACT.

[/end thread]

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

I'm talking about the more powerful countries. We're set apart from them.

If it's democracy you're after then unfortunately what lots of people do is right.

So the majoirty of the world come to britain to gawp at the Queen???  What LOTs do is not necessarilly right.

Is that the best you could come up with?     Grin

She's better than racist Phil.

But what if we end up with someone like George Bush? At least the Monarchy are trained from birth to be ambassadors and do and say the right things. Admittedly they make mistakes but they are human after all.

WTF? We had someone like George Bush - you remember him - big cheesy grin - made a fortune leading us into needless wars - Blair I think they called him. He now lives in a stately home and we pay for his guards - while we pay for a useless figurehead and her hangers-on.

You'd rather vote them in to power and privilege? What about non royals born in to money? Should they be denied it? It's not their fault.

The Monarchy goes back a long time and if you're born in to it now then yes you're privileged. Years ago you had to fight wars and get your head chopped off and things. It's a long standing family line that shouldn't be broken just because it's easier these days.

Nobody's saying disband the familly line - it's the giving them power that's wrong.

It's not that I want to be but I am and it's not a problem so I don't mind. I'd prefer to be a subjct of my Queen than to have someone with any background voted in to rule over me as a president.

Is Gordon Brown's background closer to yours than Lizzy's? He's the one that rules over you.

£1.50/m from BT landlines. Other networks may vary.

If the British Monarchy's a bargain - I wish I was a bargain to the country as well. The Swedish Monarchy's a bargain - ours is an extravagant waste of time.

I don't believe you.

Well it's true so you should

Most of them probably yes. Not the Queen though. She's ace!!!

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »

Monachry ftw.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »

So the majoirty of the world come to britain to gawp at the Queen???  What LOTs do is not necessarilly right.

In a democracy it is. The majority rule and that is that. Thankfully we have a queen who can help us out if we have a crap prime minister by sacking him. The majority select a leader but the Queen can get rid if we make a mistake.

WTF? We had someone like George Bush - you remember him - big cheesy grin - made a fortune leading us into needless wars - Blair I think they called him. He now lives in a stately home and we pay for his guards - while we pay for a useless figurehead and her hangers-on.

Thankyou for agreeing with me here. Much appreciated.

Nobody's saying disband the familly line - it's the giving them power that's wrong.

Nobody's giving them power. They already have power from the fact that they are the Monarchy. If you elect someone you give them power.

Is Gordon Brown's background closer to yours than Lizzy's? He's the one that rules over you.

Yeah but our Liz had to swear him in and she'll soon swear him out again if he f**ks up too much.

If the British Monarchy's a bargain - I wish I was a bargain to the country as well. The Swedish Monarchy's a bargain - ours is an extravagant waste of time.

They generate more in gdp than they cost so I think they are a bargain.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »

In a democracy it is. The majority rule and that is that. Thankfully we have a queen who can help us out if we have a crap prime minister by sacking him. The majority select a leader but the Queen can get rid if we make a mistake.

Thankyou for agreeing with me here. Much appreciated.

Nobody's giving them power. They already have power from the fact that they are the Monarchy. If you elect someone you give them power.

Yeah but our Liz had to swear him in and she'll soon swear him out again if he f**ks up too much.

They generate more in gdp than they cost so I think they are a bargain.

This is a level right? The Queen can remove the Prime Minister? You really believe that?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:31:30 PM by Rod Paradise » Logged

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »

This is a level right? The Queen can remove the Prime Minister? You really believe that?

Of course she can. She owns him in the same way that she owns you.

Queeny owns everything!!!!!!

I always thought she could tbh. I know it wouldn't happen but I bet there's something that says she can. I bet if she didn't want him in the first place he wouldn't have got a look in.

She's the big cheese you know. The head honcho. The gaffer. The PM just runs things on her behalf so she can do more socialising with her friends at our expense.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »

[ x ] definite level

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: