blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:33:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Your computer is infected!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your computer is infected!  (Read 10072 times)
WYSINWYG

MPD sufferer. (+2 Hidden)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

Boot up in safe mode and then do a windows restore to a date before you were infected.

how do i boot up in safe mode?

As the computer is booting, press and hold the 'F8' key. Then hit it wiv hammer.

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.
WYSINWYG

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 01:15:16 PM »

Get the following software

1. AVG Antivirus

http://free.avg.com/

2. Adaware

http://www.lavasoft.com/home.php

3. Superantispyware

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html   (This is the mutt's nuts and got rid of stuff other scanners left behind)

All free.

Try the Windows restore from safemode first, then run these. The restore may not function anyway, or the virus may find a way round it by breaking itself up into different files which it then recompiles after you go back/clean up. Once you have run all of the 123 above in regular mode, reboot in safe mode and run them again.

Also, hopefully your machine comes with a legit copy of XP/Vista, if not, you may have an operating system that is itelf infected, in that case you would need to just syphon the user files you can and wipe the whole thing.

Good luck, the whole thing is a total pain in the ass I know, but I did find the waste of time cut short by superantispyware.

ps. If a bubble pops up and suggests you download some software, do not click ok.

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 01:27:26 PM »

Get the following software

1. AVG Antivirus

http://free.avg.com/

2. Adaware

http://www.lavasoft.com/home.php

3. Superantispyware

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html   (This is the mutt's nuts and got rid of stuff other scanners left behind)

All free.

Try the Windows restore from safemode first, then run these. The restore may not function anyway, or the virus may find a way round it by breaking itself up into different files which it then recompiles after you go back/clean up. Once you have run all of the 123 above in regular mode, reboot in safe mode and run them again.

Also, hopefully your machine comes with a legit copy of XP/Vista, if not, you may have an operating system that is itelf infected, in that case you would need to just syphon the user files you can and wipe the whole thing.

Good luck, the whole thing is a total pain in the ass I know, but I did find the waste of time cut short by superantispyware.

ps. If a bubble pops up and suggests you download some software, do not click ok.

thanks sir, i'll give this a go when i get home from work
Dino

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »

Don't you find that superantispyware also removes any Ipoker skins installed,it does on my computer.
I find spybot removes most things,although it does take a while to search through.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »

hope it wasn't that link i sent you scott?

still works fine for me.
Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »

The Spyware Doctor might be the greatest for this problem.

http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »

Don't you find that superantispyware also removes any Ipoker skins installed,it does on my computer.
I find spybot removes most things,although it does take a while to search through.

When you check and get it to 'clean' files, you can select the ones you want it to trust.  You just need to select the ipoker ones as trusted and it won't delete them.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 08:56:58 AM »

hope it wasn't that link i sent you scott?

still works fine for me.

yeah, it was the link, never mind
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 09:14:35 AM »

wow sorry mate, weird tho, I've googled and can't find anyone else who's had trouble with ovguide, they're recommended by pc world here Huh?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/151547/find_and_watch_tv_and_movies_online.html

I watched TUF 8 ep 6 yesterday on there yesterday no probs.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »

wow sorry mate, weird tho, I've googled and can't find anyone else who's had trouble with ovguide, they're recommended by pc world here Huh?

yeah, seems strange - away to chuck my laptop into a nearby shop cos can't even go to the links given in this thread without it coming up with an insecure thingy page. In the meantime I've taken control of the gf's laptop but I don't dare try ovguide again on this!!
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »

gg computer
WYSINWYG

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

yeah, seems strange - away to chuck my laptop into a nearby shop cos can't even go to the links given in this thread without it coming up with an insecure thingy page. In the meantime I've taken control of the gf's laptop but I don't dare try ovguide again on this!!

Maybe try getting a memory stick (1GB is less than a tenner), and downloading the files I linked to above onto it (save file don't run it, from a good machine), then plugging it into your bust laptop and running them from there.

rossfourfive

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »

This little bastad has got me. In safe mode just now and it doesn't appear when i'm in safe mode. I think its brastk.exe which i found in C:/Windows and C:/Windows/System32.

I have deleted both those files but it still doesn't let me go anywhere from google. Am i write off? I didn't click the stupid pop up thing but has it already downloaded its pish onto my laptop?

Does this now mean some spotty faced geek locked up in his bedroom has access to my computer and passwords etc?

How did you get rid of it in the end Scotty?
WYSINWYG

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »

This little bastad has got me. In safe mode just now and it doesn't appear when i'm in safe mode. I think its brastk.exe which i found in C:/Windows and C:/Windows/System32.

I have deleted both those files but it still doesn't let me go anywhere from google. Am i write off? I didn't click the stupid pop up thing but has it already downloaded its pish onto my laptop?

Does this now mean some spotty faced geek locked up in his bedroom has access to my computer and passwords etc?

Sounds like it hijacked your browser. The amount of work and time needed to recover a system can be huge. Would it be possible for you to take the files you want off (onto a memory stick for example) and just format the drive and reload windows? Would save a lot of time.

It could easily have put other programs onto your system by using the browser hijack to redirect you to websites which host maliciious code. It needs to run an alien program anyway for the browser hijack. Decent chance some of your password files and logs of your keystrokes are sitting in some beardy guy's bedsit, yes. Decent chance he'll never use them, half of the UK is infected with something or other. Hell knows why anyone would want to use internet banking in these conditions, or why the banks would offer it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:40:54 PM by WYSINWYG » Logged

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »

Have you tried to do a system restore from when you're booted up in safe mode?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: