blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Stuart "easypickings" Rutter : In the well
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stuart "easypickings" Rutter : In the well  (Read 81544 times)
NigDawG

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

bit short sighted to think ukipt buy ins wont be increased imo

expand?

i don't think stars entered the regular uk live poker market to just run £500 events...

and out of all the individual international pokerstars poker tours, £500 is the smallest main event buy in they offer at the moment. most are 1k-2k. and let's face it, they can sell out any cardroom multiple times over for any realistic buy in if they wanted with online satellites

Christopher Brammer
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »

expand?

i don't think stars entered the regular uk live poker market to just run £500 events...

and out of all the individual international pokerstars poker tours, £500 is the smallest main event buy in they offer at the moment. most are 1k-2k. and let's face it, they can sell out any cardroom multiple times over for any realistic buy in if they wanted with online satellites

I think Stars have reacted to a change in the UK market, brought on by the recession, that means the £300-£500 events are the way to go right now. In the future I think they will have a mix of £500 and £1000 events, but I also think they might go for some £5000 high roller events on some stops, as they have a lot of high roller events on the other tours. DTD I think will prob be £1000 next year.  

Deffo think they will also go for week long festivals too
Cf
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »

Of the 8 currently announced UKIPT games only 3 of them are £500 buyins. The rest are £1000+ (with perhaps the exception of the €1000 one as i dunno which way the ex rate swings)

Blue text
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2010, 04:39:14 PM »

Did you manage to come out a winner over the last 3 months? What stakes were you mainly playing?

Who is nicer, you or your brother Tom?

Has anyone tried to knuckle you in a tournament before?

Did you manage to come out a winner over the last 3 months? What stakes were you mainly playing?

Funnily enough, I haven't played quite as many hands as you might think.....

I think the gem of all the developments that have taken place on the internet has to be the training sites, and they have proved even more useful for the task of trying to pick up games from scratch. There still aren't too many mixed game videos out there, so I made it my aim to watch literally everything I could, and it's been a great way to learn. In fact, there was one point I was putting so much time into the videos and coaching, I realised I was way behind in terms of just putting in a bunch of hands, and picking up my own experience first hand.

I've just looked at the numbers, and I've come out almost exactly even. I was playing like an absolute clown at first, but have managed a steady win rate recently. I never imagined it as a money making exercise, more just because I was intrigued with the other games, but there is maybe just a bit of potential there. Mixed games online are still fairly sparse, but if you can take away your two toughest NLHE tables and replace them, say, with a couple of Omaha hi-lo tables, I'd recommend it to people as a useful extra tool to have.

The whole experience has been interesting as an insight into whether it is fair that no limit holdem has emerged from the mix as the massively dominant game. When I first got into poker, the very first book I read was SuperSystem, and there was some kind of symmetry as the very first thing I did with the mixed games was to retrieve a dusty copy from the shelf. It was a reminder that of course there was a time when holdem was no more popular than seven-card stud, and even some of the draw games appeared as much in cardrooms as no-limit holdem did. For veterans of the mixed games, it's probably quite sad that they have been left behind. Despite me enjoying them, however, I have definitely come to understand the reasons why holdem began to be seen as the cadillac, as the other games do not quite have the same instant excitement, and therefore would never carry over to TV.

I think the mixed games might be in the process of staging just a bit of a comeback, not least because 6-max no-limit holdem is so so tough online nowadays. The 8-game mix is attracting some good action on Stars, and the idea of a medley event like that definitely is a exciting development in poker.

SmileyTom, especially if you need a doctor.

Not yet. But then, would I be right in saying that we've never played a single hand together?
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »

Funnily enough, I haven't played quite as many hands as you might think.....

I think the gem of all the developments that have taken place on the internet has to be the training sites, and they have proved even more useful for the task of trying to pick up games from scratch. There still aren't too many mixed game videos out there, so I made it my aim to watch literally everything I could, and it's been a great way to learn. In fact, there was one point I was putting so much time into the videos and coaching, I realised I was way behind in terms of just putting in a bunch of hands, and picking up my own experience first hand.

I've just looked at the numbers, and I've come out almost exactly even. I was playing like an absolute clown at first, but have managed a steady win rate recently. I never imagined it as a money making exercise, more just because I was intrigued with the other games, but there is maybe just a bit of potential there. Mixed games online are still fairly sparse, but if you can take away your two toughest NLHE tables and replace them, say, with a couple of Omaha hi-lo tables, I'd recommend it to people as a useful extra tool to have.

The whole experience has been interesting as an insight into whether it is fair that no limit holdem has emerged from the mix as the massively dominant game. When I first got into poker, the very first book I read was SuperSystem, and there was some kind of symmetry as the very first thing I did with the mixed games was to retrieve a dusty copy from the shelf. It was a reminder that of course there was a time when holdem was no more popular than seven-card stud, and even some of the draw games appeared as much in cardrooms as no-limit holdem did. For veterans of the mixed games, it's probably quite sad that they have been left behind. Despite me enjoying them, however, I have definitely come to understand the reasons why holdem began to be seen as the cadillac, as the other games do not quite have the same instant excitement, and therefore would never carry over to TV.

I think the mixed games might be in the process of staging just a bit of a comeback, not least because 6-max no-limit holdem is so so tough online nowadays. The 8-game mix is attracting some good action on Stars, and the idea of a medley event like that definitely is a exciting development in poker.

SmileyTom, especially if you need a doctor.

Not yet. But then, would I be right in saying that we've never played a single hand together?

Pretty sure the answer to the last question is a lie Stu.

Come on now think hard.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »

hi mate, congrats on the win. mbn to finally win 1 cash

few questions..

normal Maccys or Maccys breakfast? We drove round Coventry for hours last Saturday morning trying to find McDonalds breakfast, and when we eventually did, ordered 23 hash browns. It would be difficult for normal Maccys to taste better than that.

Nandos or Dominoes? Have you ever heard anyone talk about pre-DTD Dominoes? Does Dominoes give you a little flag in your food? I think we have an answer.

Walkers or Mccoys? Walkers. Of their World Cup range, Prawn-Wright-Phillips is my favorite.

Lost or 24? 24 is the nuts. Lost became too bizarre, I'm too stupid to follow it.

Leeds United or Man United? It's a tough choice, but USA just pip it.

Full Tilt or Stars? Full Tilt, I haven't had to dive under a table at one of their tournaments yet.

American Pie or Harold and Kumar? American Pie, the first one was the best.

Fave sport? I used to travel all over the place to watch Wednesday before I got into poker. So, anything but football.

Best time to wake up in the morning? Morning?

Jeff Stelling or Chris Kamara? The accidental genius or the deliberate one? The deliberate one

Norman Chad or 'The Tower'? The Tower is the biggest legend ever. The GUKPT wouldn't be the same without him.

Player you would hate to be HU vs for the WSOP ME? John Eames Juanda

If you could pick 3 things to take to a deserted Island for 4 weeks, what would you take? Beachball, pack of cards, Julian Thew

Mike McDermott or Joey Knish? I hadn't realised this before Dubai told me, but in that scene where Mike Mcdermott five bets Chan pre-flop and makes him fold, it is limit poker! I think he has to take it. "I want him to think that I am pondering a call, but all I'm really thinkin about it Vegas and the fuckin' Mirage " is pretty hilarious too.

thanks.

easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »

1) Why don't I get paid for being an employee of Tower Enterprise?
2) Have you ever gone through the phase where you try and win every single hand you play in poker? If so, how did you combat this?
3) When are we going to go and see Stevie again?

edit to add: This is Sunny btw Cheesy (questions probably make more sense if you know who I am!)

1) Why don't I get paid for being an employee of Tower Enterprise?

You just get the sense of pride, and the complete bemusement of everybody at Villa Park. I think the standard was set at the half time drinks order, where everybody else had ordered wine and orange juice, and the Tower Enterprise had ordered eight shots of vodka!

2) Have you ever gone through the phase where you try and win every single hand you play in poker? If so, how did you combat this?

I know exactly what you mean, though I think I experienced a bad spell, with completely the opposite reaction. It's probably inevitable if you play enough live poker, that you'll experience a stinking spell at some point, and mine came in late 2008/early 2009. Whereas this last weekend the deck really opened up a path for me to win, there was a period of time when the deck just shut me out of everything. What made it difficult was that it was eerily similiar circumstances a number of the times. In 2008, I walked out of EPT Copenhagen after just seven minutes whilst most people were still filing in,having suffered 33 vs 99 on 932, got knocked out of my first World Series Main Event with 88 vs 99 on 982, got knocked out of a double chance freezeout in Brighton on the first hand(!) with 88 vs QQ on Q8x, and lasted less than two hours at EPT London before running 55 into 88 on Q85.

In a way, I knew that the run wasn't even interesting, as luck will always swing wildly over time. However, the repeating of the circumstances definitely changed the feel of live tournaments for a while. It definitely changed the feeling of hitting a set; I realised that this was really just stupidly superstitious, but I always had so much passion for live poker that it was too easy to recall the stunned feeling of previous occasions moments after my medium pocket pair found a third on the board. Maybe inevitably, I made one hilariously bad fold, where I passed a set of fives on KT985 at the Blackpool GUKPT, only to be shown ace-high. More tellingly than any single occasion, however, a poor run of results made me lose a bit of confidence, and clam up for a few months in terms of the style I played.

The answer to the problems probably just comes from reading what I have written. Losing a few opportunites in a couple of months of live poker where I didn't run badly showed me the perils of being results orientated. The GUKPT at the Vic will stick at the forefront of my mind, and a hand where I had aces against Pab and what my poker mind knew was an obvious slow-play in position after he had three-bet pre-flop. Instead, my poker heart lost its nerve, and said the words "all-in," allowing him to make an unsurprisingly good fold.

I used to do alot of long distance running, and compete in races all over the place. Poker is alot more fun, but racing had just one great comfort. If you ran well, you would do well in the race. If things hadn't gone well, you couldn't blame the wind; it had been the same for everyone. The fact that this is far from true in poker is what makes the game such a challenge. There had been times in poker where I felt my running was OK, and I had been rewarded with nothing, and yet in Coventry over the weekend, I tried to trip a couple of times, practically stumbled over the finishing line, and yet it came good.

It had taken far too long, but I eventually realised the answer, and I think it came just after that Vic final. I needed to channel all that energy that wanted to do well in poker, instead into wanting to play well, and not worry which way the wind blew. It would become almost irrelevant whether someone did hold the top set in a spot where all your chips are going in with the middle set anyway. It's an attitude that has helped me become much more clear sighted about poker tournaments, and a much more enjoyable one to take on.

3) When are we going to go and see Stevie again?

It breaks my heart, but I fear we will never see Stevie, or the likes of him, again.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:16:28 PM by easypickings » Logged
Geo the Sarge

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »

Tks for doing this again Stu, really enjoy your writing and some top com answers too.

Apart from the obvious WSOP ME, which tourney/event would you most like to win and why?

Geo

When you get..........give. When you learn.......teach
ChipRich

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »

hi mate, congrats on the win. mbn to finally win 1 cash

few questions..

normal Maccys or Maccys breakfast? We drove round Coventry for hours last Saturday morning trying to find McDonalds breakfast, and when we eventually did, ordered 23 hash browns. It would be difficult for normal Maccys to taste better than that.

Nandos or Dominoes? Have you ever heard anyone talk about pre-DTD Dominoes? Does Dominoes give you a little flag in your food? I think we have an answer.

Walkers or Mccoys? Walkers. Of their World Cup range, Prawn-Wright-Phillips is my favorite.

Lost or 24? 24 is the nuts. Lost became too bizarre, I'm too stupid to follow it.

Leeds United or Man United? It's a tough choice, but USA just pip it.

Full Tilt or Stars? Full Tilt, I haven't had to dive under a table at one of their tournaments yet.

American Pie or Harold and Kumar? American Pie, the first one was the best.

Fave sport? I used to travel all over the place to watch Wednesday before I got into poker. So, anything but football.

Best time to wake up in the morning? Morning?

Jeff Stelling or Chris Kamara? The accidental genius or the deliberate one? The deliberate one

Norman Chad or 'The Tower'? The Tower is the biggest legend ever. The GUKPT wouldn't be the same without him.

Player you would hate to be HU vs for the WSOP ME? John Eames Juanda

If you could pick 3 things to take to a deserted Island for 4 weeks, what would you take? Beachball, pack of cards, Julian Thew

Mike McDermott or Joey Knish? I hadn't realised this before Dubai told me, but in that scene where Mike Mcdermott five bets Chan pre-flop and makes him fold, it is limit poker! I think he has to take it. "I want him to think that I am pondering a call, but all I'm really thinkin about it Vegas and the fuckin' Mirage " is pretty hilarious too.

thanks.

lolol, thanks for answering Stu.

gl in Vegas.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »

Just finished reading this now. Both and incred and really com thread thanks very much.

Hopefully I'll see you in a few weeks with new wrist accessories !!

gouty

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »

well played stuart in winning in notts the other week.
can you explain the snap call with A7 against roberto on ft?
i wondered if you had a read on him or something or were you pot committed as i never saw the orig raise size?
cheers
alex
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:53 PM »

Not got my finger on the poker circuit like u Bramm

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2010, 10:37:38 AM »

the Edinburgh UKIPT coming up is £1k to play

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »

gl today.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »

Meanwhile in Event 6 the $5K nlhe Shootout 36 players made it through from 358 strarters and are each now guaranteed $15k

4 Brits in the list

Heather Mercer         
Eugene Katchalov       
Brent Wheeler       
David Rheem       
Josef Monro       
Joseph Mcgowan       
Joshua Tieman       
Justin Smith       
Keven Stammen       
Max Pescatori       
Tommy Vedes