blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 06:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272955 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  anyone keep chickens?? help needed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: anyone keep chickens?? help needed  (Read 6276 times)
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 08:35:53 PM »

Chickens love spaghetti and its great fun feeding them it - if you dangle it a little bit above them they'll jump up for it - could be fun to do with the kids.

Ours jump up onto our windowsill and tap the glass asking for food - they can be pretty amusing, like everyone said, actually pretty cool pets!

As already mentioned above, the eggs are amazing, really really yellow yolks, nothing like shop bought ones at all.

I live in the countryside so its fine if they jump over the wall into the neighbouring field, they always come back too, atleast ours do, guess its like cats, as long as they know where their main source of food is they'll come back for more! Although we have had a little bantam go missing for a few weeks, until we finally found her sitting on a massive pile of eggs under a bush!

Hope they don't wreck your garden too much - only downside, they poo everywhere!
already found out about the poo everywhere lol
looking forward to the eggs for brekkie tomorrow i hope!

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
mouth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »

Forgot to mention they can wander but have an amazing instinct for knowing where home is and always come back, and yes, they will put themselves to bed every night as soon as it gets dusk.

The pecking on the windows is funny. When I had the last pub the chickens wandered round the car park all day quite happliy and used to jump into the raised flower bed round the conservatory windows and knock on the glass to the diners inside. Found this actually encouraged people to order chicken as they then thought it was fresh Smiley

Oddest thing was, the car park had a raggy hedge on one side and no gate so the chickens could get out anytime they liked yet they rarely ventured across our boundary line. There was also a family of feral cats living there (it was a big car park!) and although they regularly killed wood pigeons  - and grey squirrels - they never went near the chickens.

If you have lined the shelf with straw then you may find you need to add a little lip/edge to stop eggs rolling off after being laid too close to the edge.

Don't tell her to turn down, put on your shades if you can't see
Don't tell her to turn down, turn up the flame.

http://gobshiteonlegs.blogspot.com/
Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »

You need to clip their wings stop em flying off, sorry not wings just one of em, sounds a bit daunting but its easy. Any fox's?
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »

Forgot to mention they can wander but have an amazing instinct for knowing where home is and always come back, and yes, they will put themselves to bed every night as soon as it gets dusk.

The pecking on the windows is funny. When I had the last pub the chickens wandered round the car park all day quite happliy and used to jump into the raised flower bed round the conservatory windows and knock on the glass to the diners inside. Found this actually encouraged people to order chicken as they then thought it was fresh Smiley

Oddest thing was, the car park had a raggy hedge on one side and no gate so the chickens could get out anytime they liked yet they rarely ventured across our boundary line. There was also a family of feral cats living there (it was a big car park!) and although they regularly killed wood pigeons  - and grey squirrels - they never went near the chickens.

If you have lined the shelf with straw then you may find you need to add a little lip/edge to stop eggs rolling off after being laid too close to the edge.
thanks loads for this really helpfull advice

sounds like you have had a lot of fun n fresh eggs
silly question ....do they lay eggs at night ..no eggs yet!

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 06:39:50 AM »

You need to clip their wings stop em flying off, sorry not wings just one of em, sounds a bit daunting but its easy. Any fox's?
clip wings .....to stop them flying away omg

we have foxes regularly in our garden so the play house is very secure ..just worried in the day

www.ageuk.org.uk/

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »

They can lay at any time but may take some time to get into it.  At the moment ours seem to be laying at night (or early morning) but in the summer they often pop into their house during the day to lay an egg for us.

mouth

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »

Lee im assuming they already had their wings clipped if they 10 months old as mine were done as soon as they were fully feathered, but if not, your vet will do it, ask if you can borrow a cat carrier or two to transport them. Sounds cruel but catch them by their legs and pop them upside down to carry them in and out of box/vet/anywhere. My daughter used to pick them up like pets and cuddle them but i wouldnt recommend it as they have pretty sharp claws! They really dont mind being carried upside down - well none of them have ever argued with me yet...

mine laid early morning. How come yours were ten months old? Im wondering if you have been fobbed off with duff layers lol! What are you feeding them? Mine never laid an egg ion layers pellets but once they were eating food scraps as well they started to lay, but they were probably about 6 months before they laid their first egg.

leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »

thanks for all this mouth
i am feeding them the chicken feed that he gave me and any scraps we have at the min.

will have to take a trip to the vets cos yesterday i get home from work and Ali (Mrs fish) is laughing saying we have naughty chickens.....
one went over next doors she got it back then knock at the door and a gentleman said ...is this yours  with a chicken in a crisp box.

one sat on the fence so Ali try to get it down it was playing a game with her jump up and down when she came anywhere close

BUT WE HAVE ONE EGG TODAY
looks like its beef after all this sunday!!  (just joking)

www.ageuk.org.uk/

Biddy 62

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »

Easy peasy clipping their wings. Needs 2 of you, one to old the chicken the other fans out the wing. With a good pair of scissors cut the ends off 2 maybe 3". Look on youtube, enyoy your egg, nowt like em.  Few years back i used to share an allotment. Me and mate got some chickens and like you used to go to the nest box full of anticipation. No eggs for 4 weeks. I boiled an egg and went down to the allotment and popped it in the nest box. Phone call from excited mate weve got one, Knock on door he had come down to give me the egg. No i tell him you found it you have it. Poor fucker went home to do himself chips and egg. Phone call rfom him, heyup they are laying em hard boiled, he had a chip sarnie.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »

Easy peasy clipping their wings. Needs 2 of you, one to old the chicken the other fans out the wing. With a good pair of scissors cut the ends off 2 maybe 3". Look on youtube, enyoy your egg, nowt like em.  Few years back i used to share an allotment. Me and mate got some chickens and like you used to go to the nest box full of anticipation. No eggs for 4 weeks. I boiled an egg and went down to the allotment and popped it in the nest box. Phone call from excited mate weve got one, Knock on door he had come down to give me the egg. No i tell him you found it you have it. Poor fucker went home to do himself chips and egg. Phone call rfom him, heyup they are laying em hard boiled, he had a chip sarnie.

Wing clipping. Clip one side only. (Otherwise they will still fly even if they're clipped almost bald).

The trick is to unbalance them

The older I get, the better I was.
mouth

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »

Wing clipping. Clip one side only. (Otherwise they will still fly even if they're clipped almost bald).

Tom. One of my feet is slightly bigger than the other. This finally explains my unbalanced state to me. Thank you Smiley

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »

Tom. One of my feet is slightly bigger than the other. This finally explains my unbalanced state to me. Thank you Smiley

I've been patiently waiting for a "Foot in mouth" joke opportunity. This was almost it.

leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »

lol think ill take em vets and pay thanks loads tho

www.ageuk.org.uk/

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »

I've been patiently waiting for a "Foot in mouth" joke opportunity. This was almost it.
i know some guys who claim to have had

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 07:08:56 PM »

i know some guys who claim to have had

I'm aiming for subtle...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: