blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Tottenham riots
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tottenham riots  (Read 54730 times)
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 12, 2011, 11:35:17 PM »

I'm all for the press slapping about MPs, don't get me wrong. I just think it's about time they thought up new ways to do it.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
highmile

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025554/David-Starkey-Enoch-Powell-right-infamous-rivers-blood-speech.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

This, I believe, is so close to the truth and is basically what I am hearing from many people.

'It's not a skin colour, it's a culture'. When people are brave enough to stand up and declare that yes, some blacks, some white's and some asians have become embroiled in the worst of Jamaican gangster culture, we will be able to start to tackle the problem.
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025554/David-Starkey-Enoch-Powell-right-infamous-rivers-blood-speech.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

This, I believe, is so close to the truth and is basically what I am hearing from many people.

'It's not a skin colour, it's a culture'. When people are brave enough to stand up and declare that yes, some blacks, some white's and some asians have become embroiled in the worst of Jamaican gangster culture, we will be able to start to tackle the problem.

I really don´t think it has anything to do with Enoch Powell. Some of what he has said is quite accurate imo (specifically the bit you have quoted), which is quite unusual for David Starkey. A bizarrely rude, ignorant and frequently wildly inaccurate man. If we want a history lesson on the Tudors we should consult him if we don´t his opinion is rarely of any value.
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 13, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

"Whites have become black"

Incitement to racial hatred anyone?

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »

why? unless u implying plack is bad.
ManuelsMum

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »

Does it sound like he's presenting this development as a good thing?

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me i didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.
J Lennon
highmile

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2011, 03:12:12 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

"Whites have become black"

Incitement to racial hatred anyone?

Why?
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 14, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »

Something positive itt...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025225/London-riots-Ashraf-Rossli-receives-22k-donations-JustGiving-campaign-attack.html?ITO=1490
maccol

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 14, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

Ask your dentist.I think he will probably confirm this. 

Embracing the variance.
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 14, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »

I wonder which toothpaste he would recommend.

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
maccol

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 14, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »

I wonder which toothpaste he would recommend.
One with added whitener obv. 

Embracing the variance.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: August 19, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/opinion/wrong-answers-in-britain.html?_r=4&scp=10&sq=David%20Cameron&st=cse

Not seen that much sense written about the riots in the British press.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: August 19, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »

Paywall FAIL.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »

Sigh.  I followed a link there and could read it.  I blame the working class.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

Nothing can justify or excuse the terrifying wave of violent lawlessness that swept through London and other British cities earlier this month. Hardworking people in struggling neighborhoods were its principal victims. Public support for racial and ethnic coexistence also suffered a damaging, and we fear lasting, blow.

The perpetrators must be punished, the police must improve their riot control techniques, and Prime Minister David Cameron’s government must do all it can to make such episodes less likely in the future. We are more confident about the first two happening than the third.
Mr. Cameron, a product of Britain’s upper classes and schools, has blamed the looting and burning on a compound of national moral decline, bad parenting and perverse inner-city subcultures.

Would he find similar blame — this time in the culture of the well housed and well off — for Britain’s recent tabloid phone hacking scandals or the egregious abuse of expense accounts by members of Parliament?
Crimes are crimes whoever commits them. And the duty of government is to protect the law-abiding, not to engage in simplistic and divisive moralizing that fails to distinguish between criminals, victims and helpless relatives and bystanders.

The thousands who were arrested last week for looting and for more violent crimes should face the penalties that are prescribed by law. But Mr. Cameron is not content to stop there. He talks about cutting off government benefits even to minor offenders and evicting them — and, in a repellent form of collective punishment, perhaps their families, too — from the publicly supported housing in which one of every six Britons lives.

He has also called for blocking access to social networks like Twitter during future outbreaks. And he has cheered on the excessive sentences some judges have been handing out for even minor offenses.  Such draconian proposals often win public applause in the traumatized aftermath of riots. But Mr. Cameron, and his Liberal Democrat coalition partners, should know better. They risk long-term damage to Britain’s already fraying social compact.

Making poor people poorer will not make them less likely to steal. Making them, or their families, homeless will not promote respect for the law. Trying to shut down the Internet in neighborhoods would be an appalling violation of civil liberties and a threat to public safety, denying vital real-time information to frightened residents.

Britain’s urban wastelands need constructive attention from the Cameron government, not just punishment. His government’s wrongheaded austerity policies have meant fewer public sector jobs and social services. Even police strength is scheduled to be cut. The poor are generally more dependent on government than the affluent, so they have been hit the hardest.  What Britain’s sputtering economy really needs is short-term stimulus, not more budget cutting. Unfortunately, there is no sign that Mr. Cameron has figured that out. But, at a minimum, burdens need to be more fairly shared between rich and poor — not as a reward to anyone, but because it is right.

Fair play is one traditional British value we have always admired. And one we fear is increasingly at risk.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/kinboshi/nyt-riots.png

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: