blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:28:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  SOLD OUT ... Stranger things have happened... DTD Caribbean Poker Party ME
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLD OUT ... Stranger things have happened... DTD Caribbean Poker Party ME  (Read 4520 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »

Good luck in Day 3 today David.

Thanks. If I can get the wifi settings sorted I'll update later on here and/or twitter. @amospokerpops

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »

hadn't checked progress..

gooooooooo

naff the beach and the sun. griiiiiiinnnnnnd it thumbs up Goodluck
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:07 AM »

Best of luck to you David I'd love to see you do a win.

I hope you didn't expend too much energy on the beach-volleyball.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »

I lived the dream for 16 levels and through 84 exits but AA<QQ killed it.

I believe I've played the best poker of my life hereafter times here. For all but two hands on Day 1 and the entirety of Day 2 I felt totally comfortable.

There was a period today where I lost it, but I recovered with a couple pushes and felt very confident of the cash and perhaps more. Sometimes someone else's bad call is the difference between success and failure. It was tonight for me.

Thanks for your support. We almost made it happen.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 11:19:41 AM »

Unlucky David. Doesn't sound like JP made a 'bad call'... it was just a cooler that's all.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

Unlucky David. Doesn't sound like JP made a 'bad call'... it was just a cooler that's all.

QQ doesn't play well against the old bloke's range for getting 40 BBs in when you're two from the money. His mistake in calling. Even if he includes QQ and AK, which would also be wrong.

But that's fine, and I understand that this is why there are no live MTT pros.

I'm philosophical enough about it all to realise that in a sense I was on borrowed time after getting it all in with JJ on a 422cc board vs 32 but this year I've exited four big tournaments on either a 'bad beat' or a cooler. UKIPT runner runner to counterfeit my flopped 2pair. May DTD Deepstack tens<sevens and the DTD half million gtd deepstack I ran kings into aces and couldn't bink. I'll embrace variance but I wish it would hit me in smaller comps!

smashedagain
moderator of moderators

if you are gonna kiss arse you have to do it right

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »

and its a good call for you mate. Nice to win pots without showdown but there are times when even old boys have to gamble with aces Smiley.
When does everyone fly back David. Will you be at Dtd this weekend?

[ ] ept title
[ ] wpt title
[ ] wsop braclet
[X] mickey mouse hoodies
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »

and its a good call for you mate. Nice to win pots without showdown but there are times when even old boys have to gamble with aces Smiley.
When does everyone fly back David. Will you be at Dtd this weekend?

I'm not complaining about the call really, I got lots of people to make bad calls earlier in the tournament, and bad folds. I was happy with all of those. It fucking hurt though to be so close and to go out like that.

Fly back overnight Tuesday arrive LGW 1035 Wednesday from memory
I'm not there this weekend, it may be a while before I am again tbh.

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »

QQ doesn't play well against the old bloke's range for getting 40 BBs in when you're two from the money. His mistake in calling. Even if he includes QQ and AK, which would also be wrong.

QQ has slightly more than 40% equity vs a range of QQ+ and AK.
It has slightly less than 40% equity vs a range of KK+ and AK.

JP only needs ~36% equity to make a break even call, given the pot odds he is getting (calling an additional 140k into a pot that now contains a little more than 250k). He has this equity against all but the tightest of ranges (e.g. KK+ and AKs where he only has 27% equity).

Plus of course, if there is ANY chance at all of you jamming with TT/JJ (or even just bluffing) then he has a super easy call. And I assume you are a good player so there must be some chance of you being able to get JJ in for only 40bbs vs a presumably aggressive opponent.

If you are SO tight that you literally only have KK+ (and maybe AKs if feeling frisky) then it is you that is making a mistake since you will get run over by an aggressive player, especially around the bubble. IMO if you are folding QQ or AK vs JP's 3bet you are making a terrible mistake.

Presumably JP gave you enough credit to be able to have QQ and AK (maybe even JJ/TT some of the time), and perhaps even an occasional bluff. If you really do have a range of KK+ and he somehow has perfect knowledge of your range then yes he has made a mistake. But he can never have perfect knowledge of your range and can only make his best guess, and so it is not a mistake given the information that he presumably had at the time. Just a cooler.

I am not biased towards JP btw, I hardly know him. Just trying to say that you got 'reverse coolered'.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:32:59 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »

If you are SO tight that you literally only have KK+ (and maybe AKs if feeling frisky) then it is you that is making a mistake since you will get run over by an aggressive player, especially around the bubble. IMO if you are folding QQ or AK vs JP's 3bet you are making a terrible mistake.

I really love that line of thinking, & way of explaining it - it is the Charlie Munger "obverse" thing.

Charlie, when faced with a bit of a tricky decision, always turns the problem upside down, or back to front, to better see the answer. And Charlie made a goodly few bob for himself, & his partner.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

Thanks Tikay.

BTW @ David... I hope you do not feel I am being critical here. After all you played the hand fine - getting AA all-in preflop can never be a mistake lol!!

I am just trying to be helpful. I feel that if I am privileged enough to be allowed to buy a piece of someone's action then I have an obligation to spend a few minutes of my time going through any hands they post and offering any pertinent advice if I have any to give.

(I have normally done this through PM though... last month I sent a very detailed PM to someone who had massacred a hand in a tournament in which I had bought action. He didn't take it as a criticism, and just realised that I was trying to be helpful)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:39:44 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »

Thanks Tikay.

BTW @ David... I hope you do not feel I am being critical here. After all you played the hand fine - getting AA all-in preflop can never be a mistake lol!!

I am just trying to be helpful. I feel that if I am privileged enough to be allowed to buy a piece of someone's action then I have an obligation to spend a few minutes of my time going through any hands they post and offering any pertinent advice if I have any to give.

(I have normally done this through PM though... last month I sent a very detailed PM to someone who had massacred a hand in a tournament in which I had bought action. He didn't take it as a criticism, and just realised that I was trying to be helpful)

Interesting way of looking at staking  Wink
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »

ooooooh unlucky nice try.

to the beach batman!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »

I've had some time for reflection now.
It still hurts, but I can see it for what it is and accept it.
I believe I have played some of the best poker of my life here, I had people telling me they hated having me at the table and across days 1 & 2 I would have hated to have me at the table.
Last night I boosted my stack from 131k to just shy of 200 within three hands. I got a touch f run good, first by calling a pf raise in position with K9cc, flopping a flush draw, turning a K and rivering the flush before my opponent open mucked claiming QQ...
Second agai calling in position with KQhh and flopping the flush draw, getting there on the turn and getting a decent 10k paid on the river, but...
I mangled a hand BvB where I decided that I was going to win the pot whatever it took having raised A10off and getting a flat call I led the Qhigh flop, led the J turn and called a ruralise, then bet out around 40% on the diamond river with three diamonds on show. I got called by QJ and lost it for a level or more. My stack just kept getting diminished, my raises were 3bet and frequently there was a 4bet before it got back to me, I tightened up but still chips vanish with antes and, you know this, it is tough sometimes.
My recovery with the A9 shove and the good fortune with JJ where I got it in badly  on a 422 bpard, but felt no shame in winning given his preflop call with 23
Had I played better in that period whilst my stack was being eaten away perhaps I'd have had sufficient in my stack to get the fold that I didn't  necessarily know I wanted ( does that make sense?)

I've spent today getting the ferry to Nevis and taking a tour round the island, I've seen views that take your breath away and I'm typing this on the balcony of the hotel before popping down to pick up an order of Guava BBQ ribs to eat by the pool... Loser? Unlucky? I don't think so.

I've taken Stuart's comments on board and I appreciate that it's one of those things, but can it happen in smaller tourneys in smaller tourneys please. Although, having said that, I ran golden in that GP back in March that led to my presence in St Kitts and I wouldn't have missed this experience for the world.

My confidence is high and I will be looking to play more of the festival events next year. Look out for my requests guys. And thanks for your support.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

btw, no bitterness towards JP but I will be rooting for Rob to win this. I've been lucky enough to avoid being at his table but it seems he's a bit of a handful...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: