blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 06:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Stuart Hall, 15 months.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stuart Hall, 15 months.  (Read 13434 times)
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »

The defence's argument for mitigation seemed to centre around the fact that he'd only abused a dozen or so children, compared to Savile's 1,300+. 

That's hardly a defence.

As you say, it isn't a defence. It is a reason why the sentence he should receive should be lower than someone whose offences (in number, type or both) were worse.

I meant it was used by the defence as an argument for a lessening of his sentence.  His sentence isn't greater than someone who has carried out fewer offences, because his sentences run concurrently.  Comparing him to Savile in order to reduce his sentence is ridiculous imo.  It's like saying Peter Sutcliffe only killed 13 women so he can't be compared to Harold Shipman.

surely you can only imprison pol pot, everyone else pales in comparison.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »

All the facts are contained in

http://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-stuart-hall

Gives the background, mitigation and policy behind the sentencing rather than wild speculation.

First time I've read through a complete summing up like that.

Disturbing as these things are, and whilst I have no principled objection to quite extreme punishments (castration, death penalty for example), I found it easy to follow and easy to see why the judge concluded/sentenced as he did.

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »

Gives the background, mitigation and policy behind the sentencing rather than wild speculation.

Disturbing as these things are, and whilst I have no principled objection to quite extreme punishments (castration, death penalty for example), I found it easy to follow and easy to see why the judge concluded/sentenced as he did.

Me too.

I wonder if the fact that 15 months probably represents most of his remaining life is taken into account?

The older I get, the better I was.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »

i am probably naive but reading that report and that the "minor offences" are not enough to be charged shocked and saddened me
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »

Why was the rape charge allowed to "lay on file"?

Does that mean they didn't think he would get convicted or something else?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »

The defence's argument for mitigation seemed to centre around the fact that he'd only abused a dozen or so children, compared to Savile's 1,300+. 

That's hardly a defence.

As you say, it isn't a defence. It is a reason why the sentence he should receive should be lower than someone whose offences (in number, type or both) were worse.

I meant it was used by the defence as an argument for a lessening of his sentence.  His sentence isn't greater than someone who has carried out fewer offences, because his sentences run concurrently.  Comparing him to Savile in order to reduce his sentence is ridiculous imo.  It's like saying Peter Sutcliffe only killed 13 women so he can't be compared to Harold Shipman.

Well, Sutcliffe and Shipman both killed people, whereas Hall's offences weren't as serious as Savile's. Not just the number, but the type. His lawyer was doing his job in pointing out that, with all the publicity in the last year, some people might tar them both with the same brush.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »

seems like it's a case of well the 70s gonna 70s and it was all pretty rife.

def should be put down rather than a 6 week jolly getting looked after in prison.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »

That's hardly a defence.

Well, Sutcliffe and Shipman both killed people, whereas Hall's offences weren't as serious as Savile's. Not just the number, but the type. His lawyer was doing his job in pointing out that, with all the publicity in the last year, some people might tar them both with the same brush.

His offences were pretty much identical to some of Savile's.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »

Me too.

And me (although I do have a principled objection to the more extreme punishments mentioned)

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »

That's hardly a defence.

His offences were pretty much identical to some of Savile's.

Some, definitely. But I thought Savile had others that were a lot more serious.
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »

how can touching a girl who is underage even through clothing ever be deemed minor?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »

how can touching a girl who is underage even through clothing ever be deemed minor?

because it is, when compared to other types of abuse that sadly occur all too often.  Yes it's wrong, it's not nice to think about but unlikely, imo, to cause any lasting ill effect to the victim, where as less 'minor' offences most definitely could be the cause of serious long term issues.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:46 PM »

because it is, when compared to other types of abuse that sadly occur all too often.  Yes it's wrong, it's not nice to think about but unlikely, imo, to cause any lasting ill effect to the victim, where as less 'minor' offences most definitely could be the cause of serious long term issues.

Acknowledge this is your opinion, to which you have full rights too of course, but really? Are you actually saying that?

so in essence... "its ok sweetheart, he didnt really touch you did he, it was just your tee-shirt/skirt?

Carpe Diem
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »

The more I think about it, the angrier it makes me. His defence barrister said " merely 13 girls unlike Saviles 1300"!

So that's 13 lives he could of totally tilted unless they had really good support in place. 15 months. The recurrent sentences sends out a really freaky message too. 15 months for " inserting his finger into a 13 year olds vagina" ( who was drunk). All the same sentences and lesser run at the same time. It's just not right.

Is it correct that he has to be sentenced in according to the law 25 years ago?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 11:00:50 PM »

because it is, when compared to other types of abuse that sadly occur all too often. Yes it's wrong, it's not nice to think about but unlikely, imo, to cause any lasting ill effect to the victim, where as less 'minor' offences most definitely could be the cause of serious long term issues.

Acknowledge this is your opinion, to which you have full rights too of course, but really? Are you actually saying that?

so in essence... "its ok sweetheart, he didnt really touch you did he, it was just your tee-shirt/skirt?

no I'm not saying anything of the kind Waz - that's a big leap you've made there.

what he did was wrong and he deserves to go to prison for it.  that does not mean that those particular offences were not, comparatively, minor ones.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: