blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Selling for WSOP Main Event at 1.4, Stuart Rutter (sold out)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Selling for WSOP Main Event at 1.4, Stuart Rutter (sold out)  (Read 11051 times)
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »

Update from wsop site so I assume he got thro

Aq v 77 on a qq7 board
7/8/2013 9:22:57 PM PST (about 11 hours and 40 minutes ago)

Rutter Loses The Minimum

During another round of the tournament area, British pro Stuart Rutter told us about a hand he was involved in that could have seen lesser players lose plenty more chips than he did.

Rutter held aq and found himself in a three-bet pot on a qq7 flop. Normally, this would be a great position to find yourself in, but not when your opponent has  77in his hand! The player who had flopped a full house check-called the flop and turn before leading on the river.

Rutter still has 54,000 so is definitely not in trouble.

Stuart Rutter   54,000   -6,000

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »

763   Stuart   Rutter   BIRMINGHAM,   ,      GB   51675   Amazon   /   373   /   6

from the WSOP thread

check that every day, can't go wrong if you need to find out

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:50 PM »

Nice work Stu, glgl on Day 2!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Free_Rollin

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

Good work Stu, nice start! Good luck!
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 12:29:41 AM »

easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »

Through to day two with 51,675, full report coming.....
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »

easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2013, 04:08:28 AM »

WSOP, Main Event, Day 1

The table draw brought good news straight away, and I remained on the same table the whole day. I feel happy about how it went, but slightly gutted to not have progressed with more chips at that table, as the draw could not have been too much kinder, and I had a peak of 89,000 just after the dinner break. It was actually a great fun day yesterday; everybody was just happy to be there, really friendly, poker felt really special with the Main Event excitement in the air. The funniest moment for me was a hand where I raise under the gun, an old guy is three to my left, and has already called me the crazy Brit many times. He thinks the action is folded to him, and goes to fold his cards, but then does a double take, realises I have raised, and flicks in the call!

These were the most interesting hands, would love to know people's thoughts.

1) 100/200. Lady to my right raises to 600 on the cutoff, I have   and 3-bet the button to 1,500. The small blind, who has played incredibly tight all day, cold calls. She calls. Flop is   three diamonds. Checked to me, I decide to bet 1,400 into 4,700. Both call. The woman does so pretty quick. Turn gives me trips coming,   three diamonds  , and completing the possible flush. The lady is playing 17,000 and the pot is 8,900. She checks quickly again, and I try to work out how much weighting I want to give to this possible tell that she seems to really likes her hand. I never really base a whole decision on one specific live read, and so I decide to increase the chance of a flush in her range just slightly. The stack size could not be any more awkward, as I am obviously calling all-in if she does indeed check raise all-in. I decide to check, and this is yesterday's decision I still feel most unsure about. The river gives me quads (tough to do having not even flopped a queen!), as it comes   three diamonds . Both check. My value bet sizing is an interesting decision here, as it depends on how much I want to make sure they will check raise a flush, or the small blind will check-raise tens full. I would often go big here, but given the lady's stack and the small blind's reasonable chance of tens full, I decided to go small, and bet 4,200. Small blinds folds, and the lady quickly calls with   . A surprising hand to see, not least because she didn't four bet before the flop. It was definitely my most dubious moment of the day, because I probably won the absolute minimum, even if that is results orientated given her hand and the run out of the board.

2) 100/200, level 2. I raise to 450 UTG +3 with   , folded round to the big blind who is a youngish guy who seems the most capable at the table. He defends. Flop is . He checks, I bet 550 into 1000, and he check raises to 1600. It feels like this must be one of three: Trip aces, a flush draw, or a complete air ball, i.e. I'm pretty sure he never has a six or a pocket pair. I decide to semi-float, partly because he must have an air ball a reasonable amount, but also because he was the one guy I thought I might be able to put in a horrible river spot for a lot of chips near the start of the tournament. The turn is    , completing the flush. He checks. There must be an increased chance now of an air ball, and so I bet smallish, 1800 into 4200. He calls fairly quickly. It feels almost certain that trip aces is now the bottom of his range. The river is   . He checks, pot is 7800. I'm either betting 11,000 or giving up. I try to work out whether I can absolutely trust him to know that AQ is 100% a bluff catcher if I do bet 11k. I'm not sure if I want him to think that, say, a jack high flush is a bluff catcher, as that would narrow his perception of my value betting range. I decide that I can trust him, and that although there will be some suspicion because of me calling of the check raise on the silly flop, it does look fairly strongly that I must have it. I bet 11,000 into 7,800, and he thinks for about five minutes and folds.

3) 150/300, level 3. (Note, the update that appeared is wrong, Rutter unfortunately lost the maxiumum!) I have run up to 89k, and have AQ on the button. A French guy raises to 1,500 (5x) from a 22,000 stack in mid position. I peel the button, and we go heads up to a beautiful . He checks and (relevantly, possibly) makes some kind of light-hearted comment that I can't remember, but could well be related to strength. I bet 1,200 into 3,450, and 2,600 into 5,850 on the turn. Both are small on the basis that I will get all the money if he has a queen, or probably any pocket pair jacks or above (albeit they seem unlikely). He calls both times.

River is   , and now he leads 5,000 into 11,050. He has 17,000 total. On the face of it, it should be a standard decision to move all-in, but it's live poker, and I want to use two clues. There has been some acting going on, and a 5x opening raise may weigh him more towards mid pocket pairs than KQ and QJ. Obviously there is some chance he is bluffing with a missed AK or AJ, but that now becomes irrelevant as he is not calling, and so the relevant part of his range is just the 77 or possible KQ, QJ, etc, with a couple more questions to answer first. Can he have pocket eights or pocket fives much at all? It didn't feel like he would check the flop very much at all with those hands. Secondly, can he have, say, tens or above? It also felt unlikely, with aces being possibly the most likely of the four.

The next was that, if the live tells were relevant, would they indicate sevens more than QJ? Do these guys Hollywood with QJ here, or just when they feel they have a complete lock on the hand with 77? I decided to give a bit more weighting towards pocket sevens. The big question was obviously how many queens he can have. I decided to give him all KQs, and 50% of QJs. If he actually was raising a lot of queens, this would cancel itself out, as then Q5, Q7 and Q8 come into his range, so there no need to think of his range lower than QJ. The decision felt massively close, and seemed to rest a lot on the live read, but obviously there are four remaining combos for KQ, two for QJ (given my 50% weighting), and only 3 combos for pocket sevens.

He snap called, and did indeed have sevens. I regreted it, but obviously it's results orientated again to base reaction on the hand he had; the decisions remains which of the two ranges is the wider one, and I think it's really close and interesting.

Looking forward to day 2, which is tomorrow (Wednesday). Will update at end of play.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:24:11 AM by easypickings » Logged
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »

OUT of the main event, at the end of level four today. One of the most gutted I have ever been. I hadn't played the Main Event for four years, and it felt so special, which meant that the feeling of busting out was a real low point.

So, once again, there were two really close decisions, both of which I thought about respectively for 3 minutes and about 6 minutes; the first I am not sure about, and the second, given the hand, I ultimately got wrong.

Apart from that, there was nothing I could do; I returned with 52k, got up to 71k, and lost QQ vs KK twice, bizarrely to about 21k stacks each time. The day was in hindisight frustrating in a number of ways, with a string of silly things happening on another weak table. Three times I three bet just about preferring a fold; three times, a player called for less, thinking the bet was that lesser amount, and then had to be corrected by the dealer. I lost all three hands, and am pretty sure that on at least a couple of them, they may have folded had they known the correct amount. So, here are the two really close decision hands:

1) First level of the day, 250/500 (50). A guy who has limped a lot does so again, and I raise to 1500 with   on the button. The flop comes a beautiful   , and he check calls my 1,800 into 3,700 bet. The turn is nice too, it brings    , and he now surprisingly leads for 3,400 into 7,300. He led in a pretty determined manner, which made me decide to put a reasonably strong read on him being weak or marginal, and not strong. If I just call, it creates a pot of 13,900, and he has 20,500 behind. I think this is a really close decision between flatting, and raising to try to get the chips in (against this guy, I think the best raise is actually to 9,000, creating a spot where he may sometimes move in, and if he calls, he will call the 13,900 remaining on most rivers). If I flat, I feel one benefit is that he may well lead a lot of rivers and truly hang himself, or if not, will give me no credit (very possibly "putting me on a busted flush draw"), and call something like 13,000 on the river. Obviously the downside of the flat is the cards that will kill my action, which are hearts and possibly the three aces. So, here was my reasoning for the likelihood of him having certain hands in his range, and the best action against them:

i) A set: Obviously always unlikely given combos. Flatting is a small way behind as I may lose action on rivers. Otherwise, I get it all in both scenarios.

ii) Two pair. Should be unlikely when I have KQ blocked, although even K5 had to be possible. Flatting is a small way behind, as I may lose action on rivers. Otherwise, I get it all in both scenarios.

iii) A weak king (and the more unlikely strong queen). This felt very likely, especially given the determined way he bet, and there are going to be a lot of the possible kickers in his range too. It felt that raising to 9k had maybe a 30% chance of losing him now, 20% chance of losing him on a bad river, and 50% chance of getting the lot. It felt that if I flatted, I would be guaranteed a 12k call on a non ace or heart river, and would get it all on those rivers if he led at all.

iv) A flush draw. This was unlikely to be with a pair (only a heart draw involving with 8 was possible), and felt some kind of possibility without a pair. If I know he has a flush draw, it's interesting what the best action is. Given my raise now would be small, I only win the 5,300 extra if I raise, and I may well get more than this if he bluffs the river. If I raise, there is a slight downside of the scenario of him shoving the river, where it will be a difficult decision against an unorthodox player, and I could make a mistake by folding or a mistake by calling.

I might run the numbers on this at some point, as it's going to be close, but I decided to flat, just because of how strongly he would not believe me on a blank river ( Iwish I could think quick enough to snap call the turn as if with flush draw, but wanted to take time on the turn to think it through), and because of the possibility of him donking a river.

Two things made me regret not raising the turn: firstly he had the strongest possible king (KJ), and secondly (this one is results orientated), the river was a nasty  . Bizarrely, he actually led the river for 5,600 of the remaining 20,500. I thought for a while about value raising, but the possibility of a set or aces up is so small, and kings up really should be too, meaning that I would be raising into a flush or JT more than into those hands.

2) Exit hand, 500/1000 (100). I have 31,500 and   in the big blind. Cut off raises to 2,400 and I call. This isn't normally a peel off 31.5 bigs, but the cutoff was a semi-maniac and had just lost a big pot. Flop is   . I check-call his 3,100 bet. Turn gives me middle two pair, coming   . I check, he bets 8,000 of the remaining 26,000 in my stack. It means the pot is now 20,400. This is not a fantastic spot at all obviously, and I think the decision is really close. I had thought about leading the turn, but that can only be in order to get it in, as I burn money if I fold when he moves in with AK and AA, and I now thought for a while on the turn about just calling with the intention of passing the river. Even though this leaves only 18,000 and a 28,400 pot, it seemed an option, but once again I get can bluffed on the river, or accidentally bluffed if he value bets AK or AA.

Now had this been against a certain type of player, this is actually an easy fold on the turn given the bet sizing. If the player was both very aware of pot control and stack size issues, he may well pot control all one pair hands, especially with the awkward effective stack size situation for him on the turn when he bets into a 12,400 pot with an effective stack of 26,000. This type of player would pot control AK and AA, and probably also any one pair with a ten or diamonds, as they would fear getting check-raised all in.

However, the opponent here was almost certainly completely unaware of any pot control or stack consideration (I think he didn't even look at my stack at any point during the hand), and so it changed things, and became very close. It felt that his range was:

i) The three two pair hands (kings up) that beat me, all of which would fit 100% with him betting the flop.
ii) The 2 two pair hands that I beat me, which would not fit too well with him betting the flop, but which he might well bet.
iii) The two straights, the draws to which I think he would quite likely bet on the flop.
iv) AK or AA. Although I wasn't sure, I felt he would probably bet the turn with them.
v) A ten. Very difficult for him to have a non-paired ten, as the best is 107, but he might well bet KT,QT, and JT again.
vi) New diamonds he had picked up. Less likely, as less combos and less chance of a flop bet
vii) A random ace high or pocket pair he had turned into a bluff. Felt unlikely, but the number of combos would weight these stone cold bluffs a bit more highly.
viii) The small possibility of a set (small given the combos and my blocking of two of the sets)

I will also run the numbers on this one. It seems initially that I am in favourable shape against the range, but the problem is of course that the hands that have me beat have me in awful shape, whilst for example KT has 16 outs against me, AK and AA have 12, and QT and JT have 8 outs.

It seemed really close, but given that I felt he could well have all the hands I beat (AA,AK,KT,QT,JT,J8 and Q8), I decided I was just about favourable given the 11k in the pot already, and went with it.

He snap called with KJ. Gutting to have such a close decision, and for it to be wrong against his hand. Going to mull over some more what the right decision against his range is.

Thanks for the staking guys, disappointed that it came to nothing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:54:00 AM by easypickings » Logged
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »

Sigh, ul mate.

Ty for the detailed trip report, was an interesting read.

Peeling JQs pre on your bust hand is totally standard btw.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Big_D

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »

Great trip reports Stu, unlucky in the ME mate.

Returns received btw, Thanks.

Ship It!
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »

UL mate :-(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: