blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:52:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  How much do you tip?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much do you tip?  (Read 10508 times)
UpTheMariners

We Only Sing When We're Fishing

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »

Didn't phill Ivey win an event and leave all the first place money as a tip ?

That turned out not to be true.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM »

surely a poker dealer is only doing his job as well then?  That was my point in asking why there is such a culture in poker to tip after winning an event yet if you win in the bookies or in a corner shop on a lottery ticket i am pretty sure you wouldn't tip 2-3% of your winnings.

I used to work in a corner shop and it had been known for people to tip lottery winnings.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »

surely a poker dealer is only doing his job as well then?  That was my point in asking why there is such a culture in poker to tip after winning an event yet if you win in the bookies or in a corner shop on a lottery ticket i am pretty sure you wouldn't tip 2-3% of your winnings.

I used to work in a corner shop and it had been known for people to tip lottery winnings.

what was the biggest tip you saw out of interest?
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

what was the biggest tip you saw out of interest?

Biggest tip i saw was an elderly lady who gave me £5 when she won like £50 i think it made my day when i was 15. It probably helped that i also delivered her papers and she tipped well then also. I believe when someone won like 16k which was the biggest winner in the shops history they left a few hundred for the staff but that was before my time. That person was also a friend of the shop owner so i suppose it would depend on who it was.

Tipping is a funny one in that i always remember it really made my day when i used to get a tip when i worked in a  service industry but often i had gone the extra mile for them to earn that tip and gone above and beyond my job. I used to get paid to deliver food so why should i get a tip when the food arrived? I was never that bothered if people didnt tip but maybe if someone had asked for some special requests or speedy delivery or whatever and id provided that then a tip was nice. The best ones for me were driving customers home when they were pissed. Always used to tip well then!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »

If you win a tournament or decent cash hand, I am curious to how much you tip? If I win a couple of grand, might tip upto £50 and a couple of quid if I win a decent cash hand.

But if you are to win £100k or something, how much do you tip? Heard that some places expect tips of over £1k, whilst I would not even contemplate leaving that much as a tip!

Call me a tight git but £100k and i would probably leave £500 maximum...and i can honestly say if a 'suggested tip' was mentioned to me i wouldn't leave a penny...bloody hate that...I'd make a point of taking the family up the pub with it instead...several times if need be.

If however i already had plenty of cash in the bank it would be different.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 06:09:40 PM »

As has been said, at the WSOP they take the tips out of the prize pool, so if you win $8m in the main event, you've already tipped a quarter of a million before you visit the cage.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »

ept too rihgt?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Longines
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »

As has been said, at the WSOP they take the tips out of the prize pool, so if you win $8m in the main event, you've already tipped a quarter of a million before you visit the cage.

It's only a $144k tip for the main event, anyone who doesn't cough up the rest to make it a round 250 is obviously a tightarse.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 06:41:39 PM »

If you win a tournament or decent cash hand, I am curious to how much you tip? If I win a couple of grand, might tip upto £50 and a couple of quid if I win a decent cash hand.

But if you are to win £100k or something, how much do you tip? Heard that some places expect tips of over £1k, whilst I would not even contemplate leaving that much as a tip!

Call me a tight git but £100k and i would probably leave £500 maximum...and i can honestly say if a 'suggested tip' was mentioned to me i wouldn't leave a penny...bloody hate that...I'd make a point of taking the family up the pub with it instead...several times if need be.

If however i already had plenty of cash in the bank it would be different.

There was a lad who won £100k+ and was told as a suggested tip its usually 1-5%

Think I agree with your point entirely, £500 would be my absolute maximum
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »

It's a business so as long as they can keep getting away with it and it doesn't affect numbers they will do it.  They would be stupid not to.  The trouble is the amount of 'deductions' from live mtts is getting bigger and bigger.  £1000 +£100 is standard now.  Some companies then take 3% from the pool on top of that.  Multiple re entries are allowed which are fully raked.  Then expect a tip when you cash out (any cash even a min cash which sometimes still leaves you losing if you had more than one bullet) and aggressively suggest this at the cash desk.  Compare this to 2007 when the GUKPT was the flagship uk poker event at £1000+50 or £60 i can't remember with no 3% taken from the pool.

The amount of cash leaving the poker economy is massive at the higher end compared to the old days.  If you add in the cost of hotels/travelling which are getting higher because events are now 3 or 4 days long with huge deepstacks far more common (virtually every week now at £300 or higher) its quite amazing where all the money lost to the 'system' keeps getting replaced by in the live scene.
WotRTheChances
MinRaiseFTW, WotRTheChances, Quelles_Sont

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 07:29:48 PM »

For me the % definitely depends upon the amount cashed for. If i won a small midweek comp for £2k, i'd happily tip £60 (3%). However if I shipped a bigger one for like £150k I certainly wouldn't be tipping 3% (£4.5k), I would probably tip 1k (0.67%). I'd probably always tip at least 0.5%, so on 1M that would be 5k, seems fine. Sure will ever have this problem though.

Agree with the person who said they would tip less/not at all if constantly reminded and pestered about it, that is something that really annoys me. Particularly if someone is backed and in a load of MU, doesn't get a penny of it and it's not their money to give away.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »

For me the % definitely depends upon the amount cashed for. If i won a small midweek comp for £2k, i'd happily tip £60 (3%). However if I shipped a bigger one for like £150k I certainly wouldn't be tipping 3% (£4.5k), I would probably tip 1k (0.67%). I'd probably always tip at least 0.5%, so on 1M that would be 5k, seems fine. Sure will ever have this problem though.

Agree with the person who said they would tip less/not at all if constantly reminded and pestered about it, that is something that really annoys me. Particularly if someone is backed and in a load of MU, doesn't get a penny of it and it's not their money to give away.

I must be a total nit i could never imagine tipping someone who is just doing their job £1k no matter how much i won.
ABO151

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »

sometimes it can also be swayed by a ''round number effect'' - for example when I was fortunate to win 8250 I gave 250 - when I won 6190 I gave them 190....if you swap with pals do you give them their share of winnings before or after tip..;-)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »

I've left a £1k tip before, but that was for DTD which is my local who've done a lot for me - knowing and liking the staff definitely ups the %.

I've also left nothing when prompted for tips, eg EPTs, i hate that in any situation, also I hate the way they choose a pretty blonde girl to do that job, she smiles sweetly then looks so upset if you say no. Stars take it out the prizepool (Deauville is an exception I know) so cry me a river love.

I think Tom's numbers seemed right, £20 for a £2k win seems a bit cheap, so more like 2-3% there, but for huge cashes more than 1% seems ott.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:11:20 PM by cambridgealex » Logged

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 11:33:32 PM »

"Cry me a river, love"

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: