blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Tom Rutter - Sky 6-max package
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tom Rutter - Sky 6-max package  (Read 6245 times)
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »

sent

Thanks bab
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »

First event tomorrow: £250 "mini" 1A at 12pm.

Will update at the end of the day on here.

Tom
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »

Event 1: £250 mini 1A

No good today I'm afraid - knocked out in ~60th/130 after never really getting going. At one point got up to 100k (from 50k starting) but even that was short-lived.

Relatively tough position on a harder-than-average table with Tim Chung on my left, George Bedi to his left and a few young players who were solid as well as a couple of dodgier players elsewhere.

Some bizarre pots that i'm not sure are too worth dwelling on - particularly against one player. It was difficult to know where I was in any hand against him because he didn't really seem to have much idea himself - he called down bluffs with losing hands and checked down close-to-nuts hands as well as flopping pretty hard throughout.

Exit hands - in 2 stages

1) At 600-1200/100 from at stack of ~80k called a raise to 2800 in the BB after the SB had also called, holding  .
Flop    two hearts  - everyone checks
Turn     - SB leads for 8000. I raise to effectively set him in for ~42000, thinking he is likely to hold a weak one-pair hand which I can make fold a lot of the time, and that I have 12 outs if called. Unfortunately he snaps with  which holds.

In hindsight I think this is too spewy. I was very surprised to see him calling with AA pre flop, and didn't think there were many hands that he would snap with. If he has 30k I would do this all day but maybe he had too many chips for me to be pulling this move here.

2) 48k at 1000/2000/200 I raise to 4400 with  which is called in the BB who has a virtually equal stack to mine.
Flop          - he checks. I decide to bet small (4200) in order to give myself a 3-bet-shoveable stack if he chooses to raise. Unfortunately he takes away my move by shoving for ~44k

I was surprised by the over-shove, and struggled to narrow down his hand beyond the obvious - possible AT/KT, 2 heart hands and something similar to mine. The most common, and therefore probably most likely, would be hands with just a ten, which I am in good shape against (50%ish at best) I am not in awful shape against anything (30%ish at worst) Eventually I called and he showed  which held. Again, I was surprised about the pre-flop call, though T9 did cross my mind.
This decision is again borderline.

So two slightly questionable decisions, neither of which is awful but both which were perhaps better avoided. No obvious gaping errors but definitely room for improvement!

Next event - £500 PLO on tuesday
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »

Thanks very much for report Tommy. Think both hands are very close, and definitely not a clear mistake.
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 12:22:02 AM »

Late report on the PLO £500

Ended up taking two bullets in this event - pre-discussed with stackers before second bullet taken.

First bullet - got nowhere really. On a table with Kevin Allen, Ben Mayhew and the guy who ended up as overnight chip leader, who was a crazy high-roller roulette Norwegian bloke. Long story short - this guy couldn't miss - and seemed to tear the table, and then the rest of the tables apart. I lost two large chunks to him with big hands into bigger hands, the second of which was 88xx vs TTxx on 2892T, then a third chunk into Ben Mayhew who called with a big draw (overpair and flush draw) against my two pair.

Second bullet was much more interesting/promising - Played mostly on a table with Ben Vinson and Willie Tan and steadily climbed from 50k up to 170k without any huge showdowns. Ended up busting in 16th with 11 paid in an interesting 3-way aipf pot:

Average stack ~280k (from memory) at 2k-4k
UTG+1 (300k+) - early twenties, has just sat down, but has played 3 of the first 5 hands, opens to 10k (standard open for this table) at 2k-4k. Moves chips confidently and seems to know what he is doing.
Cut-off (Me, 145k) -   - 3-bet pot to 36k
BB (60k) - young, fairly tight, has been grinding well for the last ~2 hours - shoves for 60k total
UTG+1 dwells then re-shoves pot to put me all in.

My read of the situation is that the guy in the UTG+1 seat is unlikely to have a big pair (purely because the combination of cards in the other two hands MUST be high) and that he is good enough to realise this and to know that a good drawing hand such as 5-6-7-8 double suited is in good shape here, especially with potentially lots of added value.
I would be very surprised to see anything other than KKxx (more likely as I have an ace) or AAxx in the short stack's hand. Clearly AAxx would be bad for me, but KKxx would not be horrific, especially as 85k of my 145k will be HU vs the drawing hand.

Anyway - I muse this out loud, to which the big stack seems to agree (strangely, as he kind of convinces me to call) and so I do!

Hands:
Short stack   three diamonds - not good for me, obviously I would have preferred KKxx
Big stack  

Board - T7xTx

I appreciate that come of the analysis is over-simplified, but am happy that the call is correct - in the end my eventual equity is ~27% for the main pot (186k) and 62% for the side pot (170k) - for an expected outcome of ~155k.
This would rise to 34% and 62% for ~161k if the short stack has kings rather than aces.
My question would be - given the stage of the tournament especially, is there a better way of playing this hand pre-flop than re-potting? If I flat the initial raise then perhaps the same action occurs behind me - maybe I should then fold for a loss of 10k? Is there any value in raising small?

Anyway, would be interested to see responses.

Next tournament - tomorrow at midday - 1c of main event. Lets do this!

Cheers,
Tom
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:26:01 AM by Numpty Dumpty » Logged
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 01:36:53 AM »

Main event update:

207k going back in the morning at 1k-2k/200

Time for sleep!
easypickings

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 02:54:35 AM »

Great work, goooo Tommy
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »

Gl mate

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »

Busto in 110th

Day 2 was really tough to take. Seated on a relatively soft table, but in the worst seat (2 good players to my left, other 3 spots soft), I got off to a great start, gradually building 207k to 330k in the first 90 minutes. Given the seat position I decided to be fairly tight with my opening hands (so as not to get picked off by the players on my left) but be fairly open with my 3-bet range and be willing to pull the occasional 4-bet light.

From 330k halfway through level 11 it collapsed fairly quickly..
1) Lost 35k with AJ vs AT aipf to double up the guy on my right
2) Lost 55k-60k with 66 vs AQ aipf to (crucially) double up the guy on my left, who was the person who was playing the best stuff at the table.

3) Raised   on the button to 6600 at 1500/3000, with the BB (other good player) calling.
Flop   - I c-bet 8200, he calls
Turn   - check, check for pot control - with the intention to bluff-catch the river if I miss the straight, or value bet if the river is a blank (2,3,J plus likely 4,6,7). Un-worried by hearts. Against a weaker player I feel I would be more likely to bet the turn to get value from drawing hands and hands like A8.
River   - he leads for 16400 - I call, he shows   . Errrrr..no comment.

4) Raise   UTG+1 to 6600, 3-bet on my left to ~14k. Thought strongly about simply giving this up, as I feel that 4-betting if effectively only being called by JJ+ and AK, but in the end opt to call and set mine. Annoyingly I then committed the crime of changing my mind.
Flop   - I check, followed by quick check - which made me think fairly strongly that he likely to have JJ/QQ - I feel that if he has KQ or Ax he is likely to dwell a little longer before checking behind.
Turn   - I decide to bet turn and river to try to get him to fold JJ/QQ which I think he has often in this spot - I bet ~16k, he dwells for 10 seconds before calling.
River   is not pretty, as in his mind I am less likely to value bet my Ax hands - perhaps here this makes the bluff not worth continuing. Pot stands at just over 50k. I decide to bluff fairly small (27k) as I think I still get a fold a reasonable amount of the time (40-50% plucked slightly from the air). He quickly shoves. No idea what he had.

5) Next orbit, playing ~180k. Raise   to 6600 in the cut-off, button (same guy) 3-bets again, to ~14k. I feel that this is a good spot to 4-bet light as his 3-bet % seems high, so I make it 30200 - he shoves quickly, and I fold.

6) Later, playing 140k, still at 1-2k. Cut-off (tight lady) raises to 6k in cut-off. I elect to flat from the SB with   (which I think is a big mistake). BB (same guy) 3-bets to 18500 (he covers me with ~180k). She folds, I shove and he snaps me off with   .  From my point of view, his 3-bet feels like a good spot for a squeeze, and he is certainly in the right frame of mind to find a squeeze here. I would be happy with my decision if I was playing 80-100k, but after thinking on it a while I think 140k is far too much, and I should have found a fold.

Really disappointed with the outcome, especially as I felt I was in a good position at the start of play and generally was happy with my game after a period of very little play, but I just capitulated.

One or two mistakes worth pondering on - apologies and thanks to the guys kind enough to stake me.

Roll on the next one!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:55:26 PM by Numpty Dumpty » Logged
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 06:14:27 PM »

Good to see you mate Smiley

Numpty Dumpty

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »

Good to see you mate Smiley
Gl mate

Thanks guys, and good to see you too Dave - see you at the next one