blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 12:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272881 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  What individual dominated their sport more than any other dominated theirs?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What individual dominated their sport more than any other dominated theirs?  (Read 19688 times)
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »

Wow, bold statements from both parties.

Lay Low Back High
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »

Just watching Federer bash heads with Djokovic for the umpteenth time.

The only reason Fed hasn't dominated like some of others in this thread is the standard of competition while he has been at the top of his game has been incredibly intense.

I'm pretty sure if they had come from any other era all of Federer, Nadal, Novak and Murray would be undisputed and clear number 1 in the world.

For Federer to remain competitive with these guys who are at their physical peak while he is at an age where most tennis players have retired is virtually unbelieveable.

The guy is one of a kind, and I'll miss him more than other ex-sportsman when he finally packs it in.

Can't have Murray especially and nadal even Spoke about as the greatest ever or even close, nadal is a huge roids cheat I think everyone in the game knows that deep down at different times of his career and the speed of his comebacks and his random abscenes from the tour at certain periods prove that without much doubt,  his physique changed at the same time as he suddenly shifted a stone of muscle off his frame plus all he has ever done is predominately best up people on dirt in an era when they was no other serious Challengers on dirt to compete with him.

As for Murray do me a favour he isn't in the same league as Big Mac Connors Lendl Edberg Becker Borg courier even safin and I have probably missed a few more out and that is just in the modern era.  I find it amazing how people wax lyrical about muz. He has pretty much maxed out his physical talent as much as safin didn't.  Muz is nothing but a grinder in the all time discussion list on tennis for me.  He would never have been a clear number one in the world in tennis in any year other than the year Hewitt had it off in my lifetime.  Even then it would be debatable whether even in murrays prime he was better than Hewitt that year

I totally agree with assessment of Fed and Djokovic though. They really are two of the greatest players to ever play the game IMO even though Djokovic has had to play virtually all his tennis in the most brutal era ever.  Fed did pick up a lot of soft slams at the start of his career which Djokovic has never had the chance to do and hence his all time slam list will be a lot lower than his talent would deserve.

I looked through a list of world number tennis players since the mid 70s (ie those I've seen)

The list includes players who wouldn't be fit to lace Murray's plimsols.

Rafter, Courier, Hewitt, Rios, Wilander and Muster.

I'd make Murray fav over Agassi, Edberg and Becker too. Probably even Sampras on any surface except grass.

McEnroe is the only player outside the current elite I'd make a clear fav in a match with Murray at their respective peaks.

Just like Tim Henman was, Andy Murray is massively underrated in his own country IMO. He's a fantastic tennis player at his best (although he doesn't produce his best often enough to be considered an all time great)

A week too early for this years version of dubais marble gag. I assume you are winding. Me and everyone else up with that post?  Becker or edberg v muz at evens at Wimbledon both in their prime you would get absolutely filled in.

Absolutely not winding at all.

The tennis Murray played in the Olympics was breathtaking.

He destroyed Federer and Djoko who were both absolutely desperate to win it (Novak is a masive patriot and wanted to win it for his country while for Fed the Olympics singles was the only tournament missing from his resume).

And to win Wimbledon under the severest pressure of all, was a monumental achievement.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »

Becker did that at an age I hadn't even sat my a levels
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »

The only single performance which I've seen which compares to Murray's demolition of Federer in the Olympics final was Mac's brutal win over Connors in the Wimbledon final of 1984.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2015, 01:28:58 AM »

I can't believe we are talking about a home town non major tennis event which only Murray actually seriously was training that year to peak for as one of the greatest tennis performances of all time.

1984 lawns final was one of the finest demolition jobs of all time I agree. My first ever memory of tennis
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2015, 01:31:35 AM »

Murray is a much better player than Becker ever was but Becker didn't have to beat 2 out of 3 of best players in world ever to win an event, take out nadal Federer and Djokovic and Murray would have double figures in grand slam events.
The level of game the top 8-10 players are playing at no surpasses anything before it by along way

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2015, 01:36:58 AM »

Fall asleep listening to Nadal on drugs comments,A-Plus for uncle Tony hiding this from the authorities.  He was a physical beast from the age of 16. You can't be serious with Safin? One of my favourite players but a complete nut job which stopped him from winning more major tournaments so he can't even enter the equation. Murray and Safin 2 majors each but Murrays consistency to keep reaching semis and finals can't be ignored.  He has done great winning two in this era of tennis.

It is also pointless comparing the likes of nadal/djokovic/federer/murray to the likes of becker/bjorg/edberg/lendle,the game has changed completely,serve and volley is virtually dead and defence and physical strength rule the game.

Lay Low Back High
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2015, 01:38:09 AM »

Murray is a much better player than Becker ever was but Becker didn't have to beat 2 out of 3 of best players in world ever to win an event, take out nadal Federer and Djokovic and Murray would have double figures in grand slam events.
The level of game the top 8-10 players are playing at no surpasses anything before it by along way

Have you seen who is currently in the top 10 in the world? Cilic?  Berd? Ferrer? Nish? Wawrinka? Raonic? Outside the top four these are cart horses of the highest order in any discussion about the greatest ever in any era. Do me a favour.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2015, 01:38:40 AM »

I can't believe we are talking about a home town non major tennis event which only Murray actually seriously was training that year to peak for as one of the greatest tennis performances of all time.

1984 lawns final was one of the finest demolition jobs of all time I agree. My first ever memory of tennis

I bet you if you asked Federer if he had any regrets from his career he'd answer "Not winning the Olympics singles".

He even played the doubles at the Olympics ffs, that's how much he wanted a gold medal.

Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2015, 01:39:28 AM »

The only single performance which I've seen which compares to Murray's demolition of Federer in the Olympics final was Mac's brutal win over Connors in the Wimbledon final of 1984.

It was a superb showing but if you rewind a few
Months to Wimbledon the same could be said about Federers win v Murray.  I suppose that made Andy Murray's Olympic gold win even better.

Lay Low Back High
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2015, 01:41:59 AM »

Beckers serve was different gravy to most players especially Murrays.  If you are talking about talent,Murray is in a different league to Boris.  Mentally and serving BB ticks the boxes.

Lay Low Back High
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:01 AM »

I bet you if you asked Federer if he had any regrets from his career he'd answer "Not winning the Olympics singles".

He even played the doubles at the Olympics ffs, that's how much he wanted a gold medal.

It worked.

Lay Low Back High
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:08 AM »

What other regret would he possibly have? Other than the roid cheat Rafa being alive at the same time as him and stopping him winning 5 frenchs on top of everything else.  Comical to think fed took the London games as seriously as the lawns earlier in the summer. It was a warm up event for him before the Us open nothing more nothing less,
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2015, 01:43:51 AM »

Fall asleep listening to Nadal on drugs comments,A-Plus for uncle Tony hiding this from the authorities.  He was a physical beast from the age of 16. You can't be serious with Safin? One of my favourite players but a complete nut job which stopped him from winning more major tournaments so he can't even enter the equation. Murray and Safin 2 majors each but Murrays consistency to keep reaching semis and finals can't be ignored.  He has done great winning two in this era of tennis.

It is also pointless comparing the likes of nadal/djokovic/federer/murray to the likes of becker/bjorg/edberg/lendle,the game has changed completely,serve and volley is virtually dead and defence and physical strength rule the game.

Federer won serving and volleying at the beginning of his career.

Federer won as an all court player from his mid twenties onwards.

I can't imagine Becker, Lendl, Stich, Sampras, Agassi or Connors being able to win majors playing two completely different syles of tennis.

In my lifetime only Borg and McEnroe have been able to do it.

And Federer has done it for longer and against better opponents.

He's the GOAT.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2015, 01:45:22 AM »

Have you seen who is currently in the top 10 in the world? Cilic?  Berd? Ferrer? Nish? Wawrinka? Raonic? Outside the top four these are cart horses of the highest order in any discussion about the greatest ever in any era. Do me a favour.
if you put Ferrer or Wawrinka in a time warp back to the 80s or 90s with there current skills and fitness then I would think they would be clse to being a favourite every game they played

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: