blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:58:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live poker
| | |-+  Live Tournament Staking
| | | |-+  Alex Goulder WSOP 5k 8max
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alex Goulder WSOP 5k 8max  (Read 20704 times)
Redbull

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »

gl Al, lol @ Reporter!
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »

Good Luck Alex. Show 'em how it's done.

+1

+565,000

Ah! The element of surprise
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »

Excellent battling back from a stinking start.

Go onnnn Allen!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Young_gun

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »

Gl alex best of British

Twitter: @johnnybev1987
#skypokerteamhitsquad
#lovethegame
edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »

Excellent battling back from a stinking start.

Go onnnn Allen!

Bouncing Back

Allez!!
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 06:27:39 PM »

Right so not over jet lag - got a mean 4.5hours sleep and wide awake now (830am local time) but will hopefully be able to catch another hour or two in a bit. Time for some hands from yesterday.

I used to be able to remember hands so well, now they're all just a clusterfk and I can't remember much even from just a few hours ago. I should write them down as I go along, but would rather be concentrating at the table.

Most of the pots I lost early were unavoidable. Hands like this:

Hand 1

Open TT utg 300 (50/100), young reg who's come from other table with 15k from 25k starting so lost a big one early on, 3bets MP to 800. Folds to me, I have an easy call here.

Flop 723r I check, he bets 800, I obviously call.
Turn A I check, he checks. Would've been happier with a bet than a check. Think I'm pretty much always losing now.
River A I check and he bets 1800. I fold.

A few other ones like that, and I've dribbled down to 20k.

Hand 2

Then a oldish guy opens utg 450, at 75/150. I call from utg2 and the sb calls. Flop , sb checks, he cbets 800. I felt he might be cbetting all his pocket pairs here, and only really has sets, AK and AA that can continue on the turn, so with 60% of a straight flush I decided to float. This could be bad, esp with it being 3way so the sb can just have Kx or set too, but on this board, I feel like this guys gonna have to give up his non nutted hands everytime on the turn, as there's no draws, no air I can have, I have to have Kx or a set. That was my logic anyway.

Turn which is gin for us. He bets 2100. Now I know he has AK or AA for sure. I'm obviously not folding, but I decided to raise to 5100, thinking he could fold those hands. From his perspective, I've called a bet on K64r 3ways, and now raised a 9 turn. Even though I'm repping really thin (66/44), what bluffs can I possibly have? I thought this guy wouldn't want to risk his whole stack in level 2 with one pair (and he has to be worried about an allin river bet once the pot gets this big).

This could be way off and it turns out, it was - the guy was David Einhorn, billionaire hedge fund owner, so probably isn't too bothered about whether his AK is good in a $5k, even if I am "supposed" to have a set!

We're risking 5100 to win 5200, and given I have 12 outs to the nuts and implied odds for the rest of his stack if we're wrong and he does call us, it can't be that bad.

So I made it 5100 and he thought for a while before calling. River paired the 9 and I snap gave up once he checked (he had AK).

Hand 3

The weakest player on the table raised to 450 from mp, the David Einhorn called on the btn, and I called in the bb with playing 8.5k

I check, guy bets 800, DE calls, I overcall.

I decided that I needed to lead this card for value and protection, and also define their ranges much easier this way than guessing if one of them bets. I bet 1900 and the original raiser calls and DE folds. Putting him on draws and better Jx / overpairs.

I obviously check, he very quickly bets 3500. I have 5k left. I think this is an easy hero call if you think about it. This size is not a nutted size, when the pot is 7.6k and I have 5k left, so thought flush was unlikely, also he took slightly too long to call on the turn to have a flush draw, which given he raised preflop would likely be nutted with a gutshot as well. Obviously that's not solid, but just another thing that was on my mind, his timing felt more like an AK, AQ, KQ sort of call that he wasn't sure about, rather than a nutted combo draw.

And I ruled out AJ, QQ+ with a high degree of certainty because he bet so quickly when the flop flush draw got there. He'd be worried about this card with these hands and either check back or think then bet. So i called pretty happily, and won vs KQo.

Hand 4

There mustve been some pot that got me to 30 odd k, because that's what I started the hand with Jacobsen with. The details aren't important, basically I raised , he peeled bb with 89o, flop he check raises, I call, turn he bets I call, river he puts me in for like 17k into like 25k and I call. Buzzing now! Briefly...

Hand 5

Now I didn't know who this guy was at the time, he'd played semi straight forward, with one bad bluff (imo) so didn't think he was particularly good, otherwise would just flat pre here.

250/500/50 he opens mp 1100, Im mp2 with and 3bet to 2600, he calls.

Two Clubs two hearts he checks, I bet 2200, he calls
he checks, I bet 5100, he calls.
Pot is 21k he has 32k back.

Here's my mistake. I didn't check. I should check this. He has 10 combos of boats/quads, AKss, AQss, AJss 3 combos, and QQ probably doesn't 4bet this deep, so lets say 5 combos of QQ, that call or raise us. Total: 18 combos.

Worse hands that can call us, 44,66, 88, 99,TT, 30 combos. Probability of him calling these hands - debatable, could be 5% could be 80% . Spoken to some players I really respect about this, and they say we'd have to assume he's a pretty big fish to value bet this. I think without a spade in our hand it makes it even more of a check.

Sizing-wise I went for about 30% pot, 7400, think this is OK if we are going to bet. He went all-in. Damn it.

He can be bluffing with Kx, Q as two ideal bluffing combos. Game theory wise it's kinda suicidal to turn any hand without the in into a bluff, but he could make an exploitative adjustment vs my sizing (thinking I'm not nutted) and turn everything into a bluff here. I didn't think he would at the time. He's risking 32k to win 29k, laying himself 0.9:1 so I need to call him with 45% of my range to make him indifferent to bluffing. I'll obviously be folding all my bluffs, but given I've bet 30% pot, I have like 4:1 value:bluffs so need to fold about a third of my value range as well. JJ no spade obviously is an ideal combo to bet/fold.

So I'm happy with the river fold, even if he was making an exploitative bluff with 44, I can exploit that in the future by having a stronger range when I bet here (not value betting JJ) and using this sizing for my nut flushes as well. In theory...Cheesy

Hand 6

So we got moved, and had about 45k on the new table, with many faces I recognised. I ran like god in the first 10 hands here. had AA vs KK vs a 17k stack, and found QQ and TT in cold 4bet spots when Joe Cheung had 3bet from a small stack, he folded both times, I chipped up in one or two other small ones, and had 87k at peak.

I 3bet folded once, and then played the final hand of note with Joe Cheung. He opens CO 2k, at 500/1k, I peeled bb with .

I check he bets 2500, I call.
Turn I check he checks.
River . I decide that this is pretty much the worst hand I can have in this spot, everyyhing I call the flop with is now either a pair, flush, straight, two pair etc. QJ and J9 more or less only air given I'd probably just get in AJ and AQ vs his 25bb stack. and can rep Kx, flushes and Tx with a 5500 bet here. It's not too small that he has to pick it off really wide, and it's not too big to polarise me. He obviously felt differently and called with 22.

So we bagged up 63k. Felt like I got put through it a bit today, but I learned some good lessons, and am ready to battle again later on today. Some nicer table draws would be nice though...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »

In hand two, calling with five to act behind you seems interesting. Are these >$3k comps not quite tricky/reggy compared to the smaller ones? Is there not a tendency for players to squeeze behind (pleno excepted)?

Or do you just say, if someone squeezes, we will be last to act and can decide our fate then?

Players are more or less likely to iso-raise an oldish guy's UTG+1 open when the guy who flats to his left is Unknown Youngish Brit? His hand will be very well defined by his response to a raise, making it easier for the squeezer to play it out from there.

Early in the comp, plenty of chips to play with, keen to play pots, blue paint. Is it that simple?

Just interested in the dynamics of the call there. Think I raise or fold more in those situations [than perhaps I should].

VBOL today, sir. Do wins.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:56:12 PM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »

Reading that back, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking - blimey he's had a mare here! And you could be right. Lots of debatable decisions and plays. I don't claim to have played well yesterday, I've just written the hands honestly and given my reasoning and thoughts at the time.

Will strive to play better today Smiley

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2015, 07:00:02 PM »

In hand two, calling with five to act behind you seems interesting. Are these >$3k comps not quite tricky/reggy compared to the smaller ones? Is there not a tendency for players to squeeze behind (pleno excepted)?

Or do you just say, if someone squeezes, we will be last to act and can decide our fate then?

Players are more or less likely to iso-raise an oldish guy's UTG+1 open when the guy who flats to his left is Unknown Youngish Brit? His hand will be very well defined by his response to a raise, making it easier for the squeezer to play it out from there.

Early in the comp, plenty of chips to play with, keen to play pots, blue paint. Is it that simple?

Just interested in the dynamics of the call there. Think I raise or fold more in those situations [than perhaps I should].

Yeh I may get squeezed behind by a good player. That possibility is not enough of a reason to fold JT suited to 450chip raise 100+bbs deep though. Or a reason to 3bet it and bloat the pot vs a strong range.

Even if it gets squeezed behind to 1500 or whatever, if the utg raiser calls I have an easy overcall and if he folds I could still maybe justify a call vs some. JTs is premium in my book.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »

Yeh I may get squeezed behind by a good player. That possibility is not enough of a reason to fold JT suited to 450chip raise 100+bbs deep though. Or a reason to 3bet it and bloat the pot vs a strong range.

Even if it gets squeezed behind to 1500 or whatever, if the utg raiser calls I have an easy overcall and if he folds I could still maybe justify a call vs some. JTs is premium in my book.

Your book is worth reading. Thanks for the answer. Maybe work on focusing hard on the river when you have a universe draw, too. Smiley

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »

I think your blue paint comments at the end some it up Tal, people might cold 4 as we rep kinda thin pre and its hard to fight back against. Don't want to be seen to be isolating the presumed fish really wide early on, so try to take 3 with a really good multiway hand.

Mr Cheung doesn't give a fuck.

Thoughts on folding J9cc otf? Hard to improve and lots of bad cards

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2015, 07:17:18 PM »

I think your blue paint comments at the end some it up Tal, people might cold 4 as we rep kinda thin pre and its hard to fight back against. Don't want to be seen to be isolating the presumed fish really wide early on, so try to take 3 with a really good multiway hand.

Mr Cheung doesn't give a fuck.

Thoughts on folding J9cc otf? Hard to improve and lots of bad cards

Yeh considered it, very possibly the best play.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »

Restarting now. Table looks much better, just Melanie Weisner and Matt Waxmax (short) that I recognised from the names.

64k @600/1200 leggo!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 10:49:52 PM »

4th hand hj shoves 15k with bb sat out, I have 88 on sb, snap, lose to QQ. 47k

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2015, 11:44:06 PM »

Firmly in the danger zone after calling the turn with a double gutshot, that would have been so nicely disguised had it came in...

23400 and blinds just gone up to 1600.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: