blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Sport's Greatest Captain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sport's Greatest Captain  (Read 7388 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »

Willie Miller , how on earth he managed to get a team of journeyman pros to win the cup winners cup and the super cup I have no idea

Not entirely sure that Aberdeen team was full of journeymen!  Half the team were mainstays in Scotland's last great national team which routinely got to WC finals.  Also there was the little factor of a super hungry Sir Alex.

Good shout though.  All my family are from Aberdeen and they have always been my Scottish team.  Been to Pitt numerous times on summer holidays as a kid just after the era you were talking about.

leighton, mcleish, miller and strachan were the only 4 players in that team/squad that went on to get more that half a dozen caps
the rest were kept out by players in the old English 1st division and the old firm players

so i would call them journeymen and a great team gelled together by a great manager and captain
Willie Miller , how on earth he managed to get a team of journeyman pros to win the cup winners cup and the super cup I have no idea

Not entirely sure that Aberdeen team was full of journeymen!  Half the team were mainstays in Scotland's last great national team which routinely got to WC finals.  Also there was the little factor of a super hungry Sir Alex. 

Good shout though.

Billy McNeill >>>>> willie Miller.

players around billy mcneil were of a much higher standard than the standard around willie

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 06:04:26 PM »

17 years apart, how do you know they were not as good? How do you know the inter team was terrible compared to the real team? Or vice versa.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »

17 years apart, how do you know they were not as good? How do you know the inter team was terrible compared to the real team? Or vice versa.

my mistake i thought the celtic team had more caps,

but FFS you had willie wallace in your team you think you could lose?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »

Douglas Jardine for me.

Analysis of the opposition way ahead of its's time and picked a team to follow the game plan he had hatched and not the 'best' cricketers at the time. Found a weakness in Donald Bradman which must have been difficult and even when things escalated beyond things he could control he stuck to his plan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyline

Says at the bottom of this Wiki page that in 2004 this series was still voted the most important event in cricket history.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 06:19:30 PM »

Caps don't really come into it. If you look at some of the amount of caps Celtic players got throughout the years, some of them are incredibly low, given how good the players were.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:40 PM »

Mike Brearly was a way better captain than he was a cricketer.

Does that qualify?

Was going to put Brearly also, top class captain.

Brearly was the first person who came to mind when I saw this thread. Everything I have heard was that he was amazing man manager, think the quote is that " he had a degree in people", he should never have got beyond county cricket on his ability with the bat.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:12 PM »

Does that qualify?

Brearly was the first person who came to mind when I saw this thread. Everything I have heard was that he was amazing man manager, think the quote is that " he had a degree in people", he should never have got beyond county cricket on his ability with the bat.

Not universally popular with his players though. Tuffnell was reported as finding it better to get to his bowling mark by walking backwards to ensure that Brearley didn't change the field.
Gets votes for one quite incredible Ashes series.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »

Does that qualify?

Not universally popular with his players though. Tuffnell was reported as finding it better to get to his bowling mark by walking backwards to ensure that Brearley didn't change the field.

Tufnell? Surely there careers never overlapped.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »

Does that qualify?

Tufnell? Surely there careers never overlapped.
no chance unless they both appeared in question of sport!

Was closer than I thought. Brearley retired in 1993 tuff started for Middlesex in 1996.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:52:44 PM by arbboy » Logged
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 11:56:17 PM »

I think I've said this before, but captaincy skills are way overrated in all sports except cricket.

To compare any football captain with Brearly, Vaughan, Ponting, Lloyd or Richards is ridiculous.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 11:57:16 PM »

It was Phil Edmonds, not Tufnell.
TheDazzler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 12:00:35 AM »

I think I've said this before, but captaincy skills are way overrated in all sports except cricket.

To compare any football captain with Brearly, Vaughan, Ponting, Lloyd or Richards is ridiculous.

Ryder Cup captaincy?
Although it's just a term really. RC captaincy is more a management role than an on field captaincy role, I guess?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »

Ryder Cup captaincy?
Although it's just a term really. RC captaincy is more a management role than an on field captaincy role, I guess?

I think the worst Ryder Cup captains are more memorable than the good ones.

Hal Sutton was easily the worst US captain in most people's opinion, passing the buck on picking pairings by putting the highest ranked players together down the card.

Nick Faldo was pretty poor for Europe too electing to have no vice-captains.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 01:09:52 AM »

Immediately thought of Martin Johnson when I saw the title to this thread, and I'm not even keen on the sport.

Feed em rice.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 01:27:54 AM »

I captained the blonde team to victory in the APAT team championships a couple of years ago. Don't think that can ever be topped

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: