blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The Open, 2018.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Open, 2018.  (Read 14681 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »

Such a shame that this isn’t on the ‘protected list’

One of the sporting highlights of the year which has delivered some really dramatic moments over the years.

Certainly agree with that, though what is, & is not covered under "Protected Events", the so-called "Crown Jewels", is a little confusing, & if I read it correctly, The Open IS a "protected event". What exactly that means is unclear, to me, at least.

1. What is a listed event? The Broadcasting Act 1996 (as amended) gives the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport the power to draw up a list of sporting events of national interest.1 No definition of “national interest” has been included in the relevant legislation2 but the DCMS has said that a “listed event” is “one which is generally felt to have special national resonance” and which contains “an element which serves to unite the nation, a shared point on the national calendar, not solely of interest to those who follow the sport in question.”3  The purpose of listing an event is to make it available to all television viewers, particularly those who cannot afford the cost of subscription television.4 The current list is divided into two categories: Group A and Group B. For Group A events, full live coverage must be offered to qualifying broadcasters – broadcasters whose channels are available without payment to at least 95% of the UK population5 (i.e. BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4, and Channel 5).6 Events listed in Group B may have live coverage on subscription television provided that secondary coverage is offered to qualifying broadcasters.

Group A: full live coverage protected

• The Olympic Games • The FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament • The European Football Championship Finals Tournament • The FA Cup Final • The Scottish FA Cup Final (in Scotland) • The Grand National • The Derby • The Wimbledon Tennis Finals • The Rugby League Challenge Cup Final • The Rugby World Cup Final

Group B: secondary coverage protected

• Cricket Test matches played in England • Non-Finals play in the Wimbledon Tournament • All other matches in the Rugby World Cup Finals • Six Nations Rugby matches involving home countries • The Commonwealth Games • The World Athletics Championship • The Cricket World Cup - the final, semi-finals and matches involving home nations' teams • The Ryder Cup • The Open Golf Championship
[/b]

Maybe the fact that the BBC show edited highlights of the Golf, & show bits of it online, satisfies the criteria, I really don't know.

That list makes no sense to me, as many of those events are not free to view. Maybe the key is "offered to qualifying broadcasters", so if they are offered to the BBC who then say "we can't afford to cover it", the requirement has been met.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 08:38:32 AM »

The 18th is brutal, as are some of them bunkers. Not sure I'd ever get out of buggers like this. 

If that is one of The Spectacles, I have actually got out of that in one.  Just and only just.

I also finished that round 3, 4 (bounced over the bridge on the burn) 5.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »

The 18th is brutal, as are some of them bunkers. Not sure I'd ever get out of buggers like this. 

If that is one of The Spectacles, I have actually got out of that in one.  Just and only just.

I also finished that round 3, 4 (bounced over the bridge on the burn) 5.

Amazing stuff. I think I read that the last 3 holes at Carnoustie are "the toughest 3 closing holes at any Major course", & no less than Tom Watson said that the Par 3 16th was the toughest Par 3 in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/44777487

Click to see full-size image.

I'm a-guessing these are "the spectacles"?

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »

The 18th seems to be pretty testing, too;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/44832864

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 12:58:17 PM »

Sergio has such a great links record overall, I find it hard to leave him out of my staking plan.

With Carnoustie being so notorious, I have tried to find some value outsiders who grind it out rather than the flash Rory types at the top of the list, who may not have the patience for this.

I pointed out local player Matty Southgate, who has a rep for performing at Links Golf, and hitting some form. The wind is predicted to be at its calmest tomorrow early doors and he is out second. With the course in perfect condition he will have no excuses tomorrow, so I have also backed him for first round leader. Along those same lines I have also backed Sully, Pieters and little known Saffa, Shaun Norris. All early birds. Sergio has the afternoon saver.

Next up is Hatong Li, who did so well last year, and just seems to seem more relaxed on the tour week on week, he too is 125-1.

I rarely back Poults, but he has the grinder mentality, and is back on form. In the demo area on Sky this week he has played every shot he has called to perfection. He is on top of his game.

Small arrows have been chucked at Knox(maybe knackered but playing beautiful Links golf), Grace(like Sergio, lovely links record), Leishman(back to lay) and Westwood(I know, but again he just seems close to hitting some proper consistentcy.Back to LAYYYYY).

Finally, despite all I said about avoiding flashy players, I am convinced John Rahm is going to win a monster soon. He loved it in Ireland, and has spent plenty of time here. It may not be this week, but if it isn't, its money lent.

Love it.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »

Jon Rahm lost his head completely in the US Open and again a couple of weeks ago. I'm no golf expert but I can't see him having the patience.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »

Jon Rahm lost his head completely in the US Open and again a couple of weeks ago. I'm no golf expert but I can't see him having the patience.

You're probably right. I hoped it was clear he wasn't my major interest, but as you point out, the reason for including him is the fact he is putting himself in these positions, and, I hope, as he matures, so will his chances of seeing out the trip!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 04:26:59 PM »

Get on the GOAT boat Cheesy

Palmer does make me laugh.

T_Mar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »

Sky Sports will have full coverage from 0630 on Thursday & Friday, &, presumably, a little later over the weekend.

I'd prefer it to be on BBC, but it is what it is, & as long as we don't see or hear too much from Jenny Woodentop, I'm sure it will be OK.

Peter Alliss gets mixed reviews these days, whilst Ken Brown is the GOAT, but Sky's equivalents are Wayne Riley & Rich Beem, both of whom are very good.

Wayne Riley > Ken Brown for me. Not even close

Problem with Sky is having to put up with that goon Livingstone - Can’t think of worse anchor for major sports show / station.

dino1980
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 12:53:42 AM »

I don't have the mad skills of the golf experts, but here's my Ten to Follow. Well, eleven actually, but Eleven to Follow does not roll off the tongue too good.

Jason Day

Shane Lowry

Matt Kuchar

Ian Poulter

Tyrrell Hatton

Alex Noren

Patrick Reed

Henrik Stenson

Jordan Speith

Tommy Fleetwood

Justin Rose

11 selections then, what can possibly go wrong?

I think I've thrown almost as many darts as you Tony. Like you I'm also on Day, Stenson and Hatton. Plus, Rahm, Molinari, Z.Johnson, Oost, Na and the fellas Betting Emporium tipped up. Here's hoping one of us finds our way to the winner's enclosure on Sunday.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 06:39:26 AM »

And they are off.

Can't be too many big sports occasions which start at 0635 in front of packed grandstands.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 06:46:17 AM »

I don't have the mad skills of the golf experts, but here's my Ten to Follow. Well, eleven actually, but Eleven to Follow does not roll off the tongue too good.

Jason Day

Shane Lowry

Matt Kuchar

Ian Poulter

Tyrrell Hatton

Alex Noren

Patrick Reed

Henrik Stenson

Jordan Speith

Tommy Fleetwood

Justin Rose

I think I've thrown almost as many darts as you Tony. Like you I'm also on Day, Stenson and Hatton. Plus, Rahm, Molinari, Z.Johnson, Oost, Na and the fellas Betting Emporium tipped up. Here's hoping one of us finds our way to the winner's enclosure on Sunday.

Morning Nick,

Mad, isn't it?

I added the BE selections late last night, too, plus my punting guru and special friend got me on Carbrero-Bello at a three figure price.

I shall doubtless regret all the bets come Sunday night, but never mind, The Open is the absolute nuts.

PS - thank you for the PM, and the Vive le France winnings. Wish I could say they have been wisely reinvested.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

Jason Day

Shane Lowry

Matt Kuchar

Ian Poulter

Tyrrell Hatton

Alex Noren

Patrick Reed

Henrik Stenson

Jordan Speith

Tommy Fleetwood

Justin Rose

Morning Nick,

Mad, isn't it?

I added the BE selections late last night, too, plus my punting guru and special friend got me on Carbrero-Bello at a three figure price.

I shall doubtless regret all the bets come Sunday night, but never mind, The Open is the absolute nuts.

PS - thank you for the PM, and the Vive le France winnings. Wish I could say they have been wisely reinvested.

What were the BE selections?

I saw the original one for Day but for some reason I can't log in to see Neil's free Open bets - perhaps I'm banned Smiley

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »

Jason Day

Shane Lowry

Matt Kuchar

Ian Poulter

Tyrrell Hatton

Alex Noren

Patrick Reed

Henrik Stenson

Jordan Speith

Tommy Fleetwood

Justin Rose

Morning Nick,

Mad, isn't it?

I saw the original one for Day but for some reason I can't log in to see Neil's free Open bets - perhaps I'm banned Smiley

That's odd Ralph - you could log in a few days ago to see the Road to Riches piece, but not now?

Anyway, for a man who is on Danny Willett (- 4 last time I saw) at the best part of 300/1, don't think you need any tips. Wink

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »

Jason Day

Shane Lowry

Matt Kuchar

Ian Poulter

Tyrrell Hatton

Alex Noren

Patrick Reed

Henrik Stenson

Jordan Speith

Tommy Fleetwood

Justin Rose

Morning Nick,

Mad, isn't it?

That's odd Ralph - you could log in a few days ago to see the Road to Riches piece, but not now?

Anyway, for a man who is on Danny Willett (- 4 last time I saw) at the best part of 300/1, don't think you need any tips. Wink

I don't appear to have to log in to read RtR but when I try to read Neil's free Open bets it asks me to log in and tells me I'm doing something wrong.

PS You seem to be inferring that I could actually see them for some reason. Why would that be?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:48:47 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: