blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  How often
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How often  (Read 4089 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 11:45:09 AM »

Do you update your phone apps?

Manually, and as infrequently as I can get away with. I hate it when they change the look/features so only update if I’m getting bugs affecting how they work.

I feel exactly the same. I hate it when the fek the functionality of the app up with a so-called "Improvement" but, I am scared of viruses/fraud/hacking/identity theft/sexual exploitation etc, so I like to update reasonably frequently to get the security patches.

Should have bought an iPhone. The iPhone apps developers are controlled a hell of a lot more than Android ones. And before anyone starts I know there are some issues with iPhone ones but these are a hell of a lot less.

Oh I see Mr BobbleHat. There are issues but we can't mention them because it might spoil your argument. Try that on the Brexit thread and see where it gets you.

No headphone jack? What a great idea that is for a start.....

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »

Manually, and as infrequently as I can get away with. I hate it when they change the look/features so only update if I’m getting bugs affecting how they work.

I feel exactly the same. I hate it when the fek the functionality of the app up with a so-called "Improvement" but, I am scared of viruses/fraud/hacking/identity theft/sexual exploitation etc, so I like to update reasonably frequently to get the security patches.

Should have bought an iPhone. The iPhone apps developers are controlled a hell of a lot more than Android ones. And before anyone starts I know there are some issues with iPhone ones but these are a hell of a lot less.

Oh I see Mr BobbleHat. There are issues but we can't mention them because it might spoil your argument. Try that on the Brexit thread and see where it gets you.

They are mentioned lol. I just cant remember what they are Wink Headphone jack, schmedfone jack. you not heard of Bluetooth, or are you scared of frying your brain?

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »

They are mentioned lol. I just cant remember what they are Wink Headphone jack, schmedfone jack. you not heard of Bluetooth, or are you scared of frying your brain?

Sigh,Oh yeah, Bluetooth. Have to remember to charge em up and move them around from car to car and room to room, then they go flat mid Archers. Pfft!

3.5mm Jack has worked fine since 1786. Why change it except to squeeze a few more quid out of the Apple fanboys?

And the screen is designed to break if you drop it.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

BTW- If you have a headphone jack you can still use bluetooth headphones if you want to, you just wouldn't be arsed.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »

Sigh,Oh yeah, Bluetooth. Have to remember to charge em up and move them around from car to car and room to room, then they go flat mid Archers. Pfft!

3.5mm Jack has worked fine since 1786. Why change it except to squeeze a few more quid out of the Apple fanboys?

Between my daughter and I we have broken multiple Samsung screens, and they are more expensive than those on an iphone... but when my iphone died, I got little warning and it was irrepairable. 

You get way more for the same dosh on a cheap Samsung these days.  My dauighter just got a new A40 for not much over £200, and there was nothing remotely close from Apple at that price.  If I had my time again, I'd get one of those vs a way more expensive phone with a bunch of better features that I don't really need.

Never really had an issue with updating apps on either.

Swings and roundabouts, but will be unlikely to update my until it breaks fatally.

Am with you on headphone jacks. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »

unless you really dislike a feature it pays to regularly update apps and software on all devices.

as much as cosmetic changes annoy, not updating security patches will hurt much more.

once exploits become know you can bet there are botnets looking for out of date software to run malware on.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »

Randomly, but no idea how often.

But manually yeah?

Yeah, just whenever it pops a red number on the app store and I notice it.

I actually did it twice yesterday, because when I plugged my phone into iTunes, it said there was a software update to do. Did that, and then there were about 20 apps that wanted updating after I had done the software update.

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »

Funny thing is the only time I ever broke my iPhone screen was when I caught the wire from my earphones on a door handle and the phone came flying out my pocket.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »

Funny thing is the only time I ever broke my iPhone screen was when I caught the wire from my earphones on a door handle and the phone came flying out my pocket.

Yeah, well the only time I ever broke my Samsung screen is when I was trying to get it to connect to bluetooth headphones, got frustrated and threw it at a wall.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 02:36:31 PM »

Yeah, well the only time I ever broke my Samsung screen is when I was trying to get it to connect to bluetooth headphones, got frustrated and threw it at a wall.

v good.  Funnily my daughter is attached to her headphone jack and can't be doing with the lack of home button on most phones these days.  There is something more satisfying about buttons and plugging something in.  Tabs seem a whole lot less satisfying than a laptop too. 

Back to the original question, I update apps overnight on wifi.  Sometimes I'll do a search around on systems/apps to make sure everything looks hunky dory.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 02:48:23 PM »

Samsung onward has Gorilla Glass which is meant to be a lot harder to break

I havent put it to the test yet, but there are some fun videos on YouTube

#Invalid YouTube Link#

Sigh, can someone fix the link for me?

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »

Samsung onward has Gorilla Glass which is meant to be a lot harder to break

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »

Samsung S10 onward has Gorilla Glass which is meant to be a lot harder to break

#Invalid YouTube Link#

I always use a simple bumper case with my phone cos I drop it at least once a day.

I also add a lanyard, (once you've tried one you will never go back)

Click to see full-size image.

My current phone is a Galaxy s5. (The last of the Samsungs with a removable battery) had it 5 years and it's still a great phone, but had it's last security update last year.

Was going to replace it with the Huawei P30 Pro because of the fabulous camera but unfortunately it failed the 'does it have a headphone jack?' test. Next choice, Galaxy s10

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »

Is there any reason other than the obvious planned obsoletion that batteries in 'phones cannot be changed?

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 06:58:31 PM »

Is there any reason other than the obvious planned obsoletion that batteries in 'phones cannot be changed?

They can be changed, but you can't do it yourself.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: