blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Geeky OCD phone stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Geeky OCD phone stuff.  (Read 6783 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 11:33:31 PM »

As for the other point - there are very, very few attacks taking place on phones.

The theoretical risk is there but the actual risk is probably pretty small.

The figures I have found for 2018 was Kaspersky Labs (so someone who sells security software); they said the number of attacks and people affected has grown a lot.

However they gave a figure of a bit less than a million people affected.

There are an estimated 5 billion smart phone users in the world - so about 1 in 5000.

Encouraged by Jon's post, I went digging and found some reassuring stuff.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 11:33:47 PM »

Android malware can't magically install itself on your phone

When we talk about "malware," most people envision a plague-like force that finds its way onto your phone and then sneakily undermines you. But guess what? Even in a worst-case scenario on Android, that just isn't how things work.

In order for something to "take over" your Android device — or do much of anything, really — you'd first have to manually install it and then grant it access to any relevant permissions. Most of the talk about malware on Android relies on the assumption that the user has done both of those things, be it intentionally or via manipulation. But that's a pretty big assumption to make.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 11:36:16 PM »

Your odds of actually encountering Android malware in the real world are almost laughably low

Android malware tends to be more theoretical than practical, and it's true: Most Android security scare stories fail to take into account all the layers of protection mentioned above and the fact that few, if any, regular people are actually in danger by whatever new threat happens to have come along.

There are examples upon examples of this, year after year. And there's a reason, as we'll get into next.

First, for perspective: Based on Google's 2017 data, the probability of downloading a "potentially harmful app" from the Play Store is about 0.02%. Less than a tenth of a percent of active Android devices worldwide encountered such a scenario last year. Even for the minority of folks who download apps from sources outside of the Play Store, we're looking at 0.82% of all devices, globally, being affected by any "potentially harmful app" over the last year.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 11:37:03 PM »

Google Play Protect, which continuously scans the Play Store and your actual device for signs of suspicious behavior (and remains active and up to date independently, without the need for any manufacturer- or carrier-provided rollouts). And yes, that system does occasionally fail, but (a) that happens far less frequently than Android security headlines would lead you to believe — more on that in a moment — and (b) such constant challenging and adaption is an inevitable part of any security system.

Beyond that, Chrome on Android keeps an eye out for any website-based threats, and Android itself monitors for signs of SMS-based scams and warns you if any such signals are detected.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 11:40:42 PM »

I didn't even know I had Play Protect, but I checked it out and hey presto!

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 11:46:33 PM »

Here's to another 5 years.   

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »

Bought this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133077637092

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 11:25:30 AM »

Arrived a week late and I don't like it now I've seen it in the flesh.

I will be returning it.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »

So now I am going to buy a Galaxy S7.

But.

Should I buy it here.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LTE-32GB-Unlocked-Factory-Galaxy-New-Samsung-4G-S7-G930F-Phone-Android-FREE-SHIP/401915336847?var=671757859634

Or here?

https://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/products/samsung-galaxy-s7-32gb-black-unlocked-e0cda38a-bb4b-48e3-94b9-43c202db137c

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »

BTW- You don't think I'm rushing into this do you?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »

You are returning a galaxy S7 and going for an S7 instead?

Was the galaxy just too big or was it something else?  I know I am a bit wary of some of the sellers on ebay and amazon.  You read a few comments stating the phone is blocked or second hand whenever you see a phone seller that sell phones cheaper than you'd expect.

I used to have an S7 and it was the fragility of the screen and the cost of replacing it that did for me.  But get it well shielded and it should be fine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:59:29 AM by tikay » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »

I'm returning the S7 'Active' and buying the common or garden S7.

So are you saying go for the refurbished on Music Magpie rather than the new on eBay?

BTW- If you click Additional Options - Don't use smileys you won't get playing cards littering your posts.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2019, 12:20:27 PM »

I went from an S5 to an S8 and I'm not a big fan of the curved screen at all, you get used to it but for the first few weeks I absolutely hated the thing.

From what I know the S7 is very similar to the S8 so if that's a flat screen then happy days. You still won't like it though as it'll be smaller and just won't feel right in your hand. There's a joke there somewhere but I'll leave that to someone else.

I got mine from here: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/samsung-galaxy-s7

Decent price, excellent service and they have some very good second hand offers as well.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:23:46 PM by tikay » Logged

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »

Wow. Spades everywhere. So annoying Cheesy

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »

I'm returning the S7 'Active' and buying the common or garden S7.

So are you saying go for the refurbished on Music Magpie rather than the new on eBay?

BTW- If you click Additional Options - Don't use smileys you won't get playing cards littering your posts.

I don't know the answer to the first question.  My choice would be to go for a cheap phone from a reputable dealer, but we covered that earlier, and maybe I am too cautious when buying expensive stuff.

I know the latter about smileys already, it is just that I don't do it often enough for it to stick in my mind.  And as long as we have OCD Tikay to tidy up after us...  Hi Tikay and thanks, Evilpie needs your help.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:40:52 PM by tikay » Logged

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: