blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Sign of the times
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign of the times  (Read 1043 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »

During a televised speech, announcement or news programme, I find the presence of someone signing for the deaf very distracting. So much so that I have to switch off or switch over.

This might sound uncharitable but I wonder what percentage of the population actually need and can understand signing?

Does it justify the intrusion?

Wouldn't subtitles be better?

What about a parallel, 'with signing' broadcast?

Don't get me wrong, I would walk over hot coals to help anyone less fortunate than myself, but there must be a better way in this instance.

The older I get, the better I was.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:44:50 PM »

During a televised speech, announcement or news programme, I find the presence of someone signing for the deaf very distracting. So much so that I have to switch off or switch over.

This might sound uncharitable but I wonder what percentage of the population actually need and can understand signing?

Does it justify the intrusion?

Wouldn't subtitles be better?

What about a parallel, 'with signing' broadcast?

Don't get me wrong, I would walk over hot coals to help anyone less fortunate than myself, but there must be a better way in this instance.

I found the same thing watching the Queen's speech  last night and said to my wife that I found it very distracting and that subtitles would be far less intrusive and do a good job in serving the objective.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of somebody who is in the unfortunate position of losing their hearing as to their view.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: