blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:10:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272583 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Reddit vs Hedge Funds & Wall Street
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reddit vs Hedge Funds & Wall Street  (Read 3846 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »

I don't really like the separation between shorters and the people pumping the shares.  People have been pumping up crappy stocks on bulletin boards for such a long time, and some are massive scumbags too.  Shorters take serious risks with their own money,  so the hero/villian line can be pretty blurry.  Well done to those who originally spotted the opportunity here. 

There are bound to be some serious losers here, as the stock looks a bit of a basket cases.  It will end badly, just like it did with the bitcoin late adopters :/  Don't do it Marky.

Short squeezes are great for schadenfreude though.
 https://www.ft.com/content/0a58b63a-4294-3e07-8390-c3aabef39a26

If you are paywall'd out [url[https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-idUSTRE49R3I920081028[/url]

Agree with this - at first glance it's a bit of a jape sticking it in the eye of hedge funds. Other than that it's very reminiscent of the ramping during the dot com boom. In this notional collective of amateur investors will be  a decent number of very skilled traders manipulating everyone else to their end. The best trick here is getting so many people to buy with the perspective of who cares if i lose a few hundo as long as I'm sticking it Wall Street. Actually, you are just lining the pockets of other slick operators who aren't running hedge funds.

No doubt if you're brave enough, quick enough and a good trader some small fortunes will get made here, as with Bitcoin, especially if buyers are still being attracted by the 'game'. Ultimately though, where can it end when there isn't the intrinsic value to support the price.

That said, with BTC, I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see the queue of buyers end, especially now so many institutions are involved as well.

Oh, do feel free to buy Blackberry and Nokia stock though, follow me in, it's golden.

sola virtus nobilitat
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 11:50:35 PM »

Breaks it down nicely for simpletons like me.

Only thing I know how to run-up, is a bar bill!

Quite right what Ocasio-Cortez & Kasparian say, imo.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »

How this was always going to end?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56106824

Roaring kitty looks like a proper villain.  He must be crying into his millions about losing his job.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 05:04:13 PM »

Roaring kitty looks like a proper villain.  He must be crying into his millions about losing his job.

Even if he is innocent of this it's going to be so hard convincing anyone that he didn't do it for personal gain.

Ah! The element of surprise
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »

Even if he is innocent of this it's going to be so hard convincing anyone that he didn't do it for personal gain.

I don't know the US rules, but over here they have rules against market manipulation and acting as a concert party (building a big stake).  Very few people ever get found guilty here, so if he was here he would probably be fine.  I think these crimes are hard to prove to a jury, and there usually is an alternative honest explanation that introduces doubt. 

The aggravating factor is he worked for an investment company and if he were here, I think he could fall foul of the regulator.  I don't think that will matter to him too much, as if he has been wise and sold a bunch,  he'd have made more than enough to not worry about working in financial services for a long time. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: