blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272711 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Ante Up Tourneys
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ante Up Tourneys  (Read 1155 times)
prettygreen

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »

Anybody got any strategy pointers for these tournaments?

Appreciate its very stake dependant.

A question:

Say its ante of 500, (4500 in pot). What would be a standard open here? Tried most things between 500-pot with little success.

Assume its fine to limp every other hand we dont open with? Shocked at some players folding for 5 into a 5k pot. Surely players these days can't be that stupid?
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »

A question:

Say its ante of 500, (4500 in pot). What would be a standard open here? Tried most things between 500-pot with little success.

Assume its fine to limp every other hand we dont open with? Shocked at some players folding for 5 into a 5k pot. Surely players these days can't be that stupid?

Make it up as you go along.  It really depends on the table.  The rules can change too, the stars one is different to the WSOP one.

You get some really weird things happening , if someone raises to 1000 in the 4500 pot, and you reraise to 2000, it can get folds that make no sense if the original raiser thought about it.  Some tables are very limpy, others aren't.  I guess nobody offers training.  Post flop is fairly standard though you obviosuly need to think about ranges more.

The limp every pot thing falls over if you are bad at folding post or the fella on your left raises every pot.     

Limp reraises happen way more often than in normal hold em strategies, and seem effective.

I have played barely any, but won one on stars and have a 100% cash record in the WSOP version.  I expect people who can think about the concepts must have a much bigger edge than in normal nl tournaments where even the fish get most of the theory.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »

Look at my hand in PHA and just bite your thumb! as its standard! stack size is crucial! remember 10 antes is worse than 10 big blinds! I would be shoving with 15-20 antes! try and sneak in pre cheap if you can and just dont take it seriously!
prettygreen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »

A question:

Make it up as you go along.  It really depends on the table.  The rules can change too, the stars one is different to the WSOP one.

You get some really weird things happening , if someone raises to 1000 in the 4500 pot, and you reraise to 2000, it can get folds that make no sense if the original raiser thought about it.  Some tables are very limpy, others aren't.  I guess nobody offers training.  Post flop is fairly standard though you obviosuly need to think about ranges more.

The limp every pot thing falls over if you are bad at folding post or the fella on your left raises every pot.     

Limp reraises happen way more often than in normal hold em strategies, and seem effective.

I have played barely any, but won one on stars and have a 100% cash record in the WSOP version.  I expect people who can think about the concepts must have a much bigger edge than in normal nl tournaments where even the fish get most of the theory.

Sound advice Mr Barraclough. Cheers :-) wd in Vegas
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »

Ok read this and now fully trained. Lets ship one.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: