blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272684 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  MTT - Best line please?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTT - Best line please?  (Read 2889 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »

PFR is perfect, mantis 88 plays well post flop.

As played bet then call shove or check/shove either is fine.

In Gus Hansen's book Every Hand Revealed a reoccurring theme whilst shipping the 2007 Aussie Millions is the fact he raises 3.5xbb with medium pairs. Let's take a quote from him when he picks up 8-8 shorthanded. "There is no doubt in my mind that medium pairs play much better pre-flop than post-flop. Apart from the 1 in 8 where you actually flop a set you will be facing overcards in 7 out of 8 instances, making it almost impossible to know how to proceed." In T-Mar's example we are merely 5-handed and there is just 1 over-card...and we're not really sure how to proceed.

Now I've read this book a couple of times and have noticed with interest how he never raises 2.5xbb with medium pairs and how he doesn't share your opinions about how easy 8-8 is to play post James. So I reckon I'll side with him rather than the internet kids for the time being. Also good post trigg.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:08:07 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »

Although Hansen is a top class player..them internet kidz put in crazy volumes and this is an online tourney...not a live one.

I'd go with the kidz depending on how the table has been playing (if everyone calls everything unless it's raised big I'd raise big but if the table plays standard 2.5 times is fine...if you only get one caller odds are he's going to miss the flop anyways.)

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »

Although Hansen is a top class player..them internet kidz put in crazy volumes and this is an online tourney...not a live one.

I'd go with the kidz depending on how the table has been playing (if everyone calls everything unless it's raised big I'd raise big but if the table plays standard 2.5 times is fine...if you only get one caller odds are he's going to miss the flop anyways.)

Offering the bb 3/1 is a mistake imo. Post you're prob gonna end up guessing. In this hand if villain ships we are guessing. Yep, he may well miss...but he doesn't need to hit to win...especially if our strat is to guess.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »

my post was more helpful on this hand than yours. Mine was merley telling everyone reading to discount the shit you wrote in yours
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 10:30:11 PM »

Why is raising 3.5xbb with 8-8 in this spot is so shit big man?

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

the fact you change your opening raise depending on your holdings makes the play fundamentally terrible and so transparent. "oh its that mantis (or is it gus hansen) raising 3.5x with his medium pairs. he was opening 2.5x with AA earlier
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 10:37:18 PM »

the fact you change your opening raise depending on your holdings makes the play fundamentally terrible and so transparent. "oh its that mantis (or is it gus hansen) raising 3.5x with his medium pairs. he was opening 2.5x with AA earlier

so true- all donks 2* with suited connectors- 3* it with aces and 4* it with JJ and 8* it with 33

Cos who wants to see a flop with 33?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »

That's the only reason you think it's shit? That's it? Cos if you do...I pick up A-A and raise 3.5xbb vs you...cos you're such a wise player...& you ship vs my medium pair. gg trigg.

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »

not really because you and gus wouldnt open AA to 3.5* only mid pairs.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »

That's the only reason you think it's shit? That's it? Cos if you do...I pick up A-A and raise 3.5xbb vs you...cos you're such a wise player...& you ship vs my medium pair. gg trigg.

if i think you have a medium pair and have a stack to shove, its pretty likely i shove whatever the fk i think you have, poker is a game of stack sizes and ranges, not specific isolated incidents like 1 hand from the aussie millions where gus, who has played less tournies than chrisswan says 3.5xing is best.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »

Sorry dude, but if you do actually vary your raise sizes with lots of different types of holdings your point is redundant cos it's just as effective as keeping it uniform.

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »

In fact sorry it's much more effective because you get the insightful players "knowing" what you have and reacting in the way you hoped they would.

action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 11:15:48 PM »

cba to argue over this. Your so objective there isnt much point.
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »

I don't want to argue about it either tbh. You came on and said I did a shit post and I asked you why. You trotted out the uniform bet theory like it was some kind of zomg hidden strat gem I'd never considered. I used to uniform bet. There are lots of reasons not to uniform bet...eg bb defends light vs bigger raises...why raise less with A-A for uniform effect?

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »

I think bet call gets the money in best and give him some pseudo fe with ur betsizing. risk of him checking back and us seeing a probably shite turn this shallow aint ideal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: