blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:09:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Line check
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Line check  (Read 5367 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »

How do we interpret/react to the weak turn lead if we have no hand?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »

Tbh I don't know why I keep biting, but I am in the sort of mood recently where I just seem unable to let sloppy thinking and contradictory arguments go. I know I am going to come across as bitchy and pedantic, but actually I am just trying to be precise and rigorous. Honestly I am not trying to be mean and aggressive with my points, I just can't think of a nice kind way to say them. Please don't be offended pal...

Quote from: outragous76 link=topic=57236.msg1537353#msg1537353
I was assuming the raise wasnt AI and therefore the point is irrelevant
Please explain WHY this would make the point irrelevant. And also - being pedantic - you must surely admit that the quote I gave does show you inferring that we should not raise the turn because it might lead to us being stacked if villain hits his draw? You had denied saying this...

1. I have - its his calling range  - I have just omitted terrible flush draws which he may have
Actually, you definitely had not stated (until this quote) whether the range you gave was supposed to be his calling range or his donking range. In fact, reading your other comments I am not 100% sure that you actually did mean this range as a calling range... for example, you give loads of Kx hands in this range, but then later say that you think villain will fold most of these hands to a raise. Can you see why it is difficult to actually discuss this properly with you, when I am not even sure what range you are giving?

But let's take it at face value, and assume that you were indeed giving a calling range in your stove sim. And let's also put aside any disagreements (and mistakes you may have made e.g. including all suited Aces, not just the flush draw ones) about the exact construction of this range for the time being...

Your stove shows that against the calling range that you give for villain AK has better than 56% equity. So why wouldn't we want to get the money in? Nice bit of clear value to be had right away with a 12% equity advantage, plus lots of dead money already in the pot to further pad your EV. Not to mention the added bonus that you would also be protecting your equity share in the pot (and your tournament life if that sort of thing is important to you) by forcing opponent to fold some shitty hands that still have equity against your hand. So can you explain the thought process that you had at the time, when you saw you had 56% against a calling range but thought this was not a good spot to raise for both value and protection.

2. The only hands not in the range specificed are Qx - i think  he ck/calls these hands
Maybe, maybe not - you can account for uncertainty like this in stove by weighting the combinations of Qx/FD hand that he calls with. This makes your stove much more realistic. I feel that villain may very well try to get to the river cheaply by making a 1/4 pot blocking bet with a lot of his pair plus gutshot hands like QJ, KT or whatever. Many bad players do this with their draws too. We may very well have different opinions on exactly what a call flop, donk small turn line tends to mean, and that is fine of course. But I certainly would not remove these hands completely from either his turn donking range or his turn calling range.

3. I dont think he leads Qx hands - and he probably doesnt get them in for the rest
I have pretty much discussed this one above. But I am just going to repeat one of my earlier points - villain is a presumed bad player, so why have you made an assumption that he is not calling with QJ type hands (i.e. pair plus gutter) and such like?

BTW, I also made 2 further points in the post you responded to, but I made them in an edit so you may not have seen them... The one thing that I really want to pull you on is that you said villain is 100% bluffing all his missed draws on the river. It is really bad to make this sort of blanket assumption imo. And if this assumption is incorrect then the line you suggested is not good.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:33:02 PM by Honeybadger » Logged
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »

tl;dr  Tongue

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »

tl;dr  Tongue
Yes you did! Wink
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

I dont think eitehr line is wrong, but i prefer mine

what I would say is that the villain makes a lovely leverage bet on the turn where we are commited and he can fold any bluffs , get in huge draws and hands that  already beat us

outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »

MC

I def think that results would be welcomed in this hand, got nothing to do with being results oriented but adds weight to what people do with what hands and why

cheers

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

what I would say is that the villain makes a lovely leverage bet on the turn where we are commited and he can fold any bluffs , get in huge draws and hands that  already beat us
How can villain have any bluffs in his range here? He check-called the flop! He can have a ton of semi-bluffs of course if that's what you mean, but he can't have any really weak semi-bluffs/pure bluffs given that he called the flop OOP. With his semi-bluffs it is lovely if he folds these on the turn... and even lovelier if he doesn't. It is also smashing if he gets his money in with 'huge draws', since we have a nice equity edge on the turn. And if he has somehow got a made hand that has us beaten then so be it, we are committed anyway with the SPR being so low.

Tbh, I think villain's play is really bad with any part of his range. Apart from anything else, it solves the problem for us of having slightly awkward stack sizes on the turn. If villain did not donk then we would either have to overbet shove all-in or make a smaller bet that leaves a really annoying amount of money behind on the river. His donk makes things loads easier for us by setting the SPR up really nicely for a comfortable jam. And not just with our specific hand either: if we had a big draw ourselves he is setting up stacks beautifully for us to have the best possible risk/reward ratio through shoving. And if we have a weakish draw or weaker made hand he is giving us the additional option of just flatting IP with it since we are getting such a great price.
Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

MC

I def think that results would be welcomed in this hand, got nothing to do with being results oriented but adds weight to what people do with what hands and why

cheers

I don't mind results being posted at all. But I don't think it adds any weight to the discussion really. I definitely won't be saying "see I told you so!" if villain turned up with QhJh or something like that. And I'm sure you won't think it has proved your side if villain turned up with something completely random like AJo that he would have folded to a turn jam.
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

MC

cheers

I don't mind results being posted at all. But I don't think it adds any weight to the discussion really. I definitely won't be saying "see I told you so!" if villain turned up with QhJh or something like that. And I'm sure you won't think it has proved your side if villain turned up with something completely random like AJo that he would have folded to a turn jam.

No but if we never know how people play hands then we learn nothing

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 02:57:07 PM »

Yes I agree. Shock horror!! Wink
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »

Im hoping the villain has 77

PaintingByNumbers

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

Why could we not float the Turn?
outragous76

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

Assuming we dont have a hand with value?

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »

Yes I agree. Shock horror!! Wink

Guy and Stu, sitting up a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
PaintingByNumbers

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »

Assuming we dont have a hand with value?

So, his lovely bet folds out the bottom of our range. What else does it achieve?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: