blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 09:07:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272685 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2390 2391 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 2397 2398 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6357507 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35895 on: October 22, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »

Jeez, I'm TERRIBLE at throwing away food that is not fresh. I rarely use more than half a loaf of bread (though I'm off bread at present), I get a fresh loaf & the ducks get the rest.

Same with grapes & bananas, I throw more away than I eat.

I've always felt a bit bad about it, but now I feel better, because I can blame Tesco. Excellent. Problem solved. It's Tesco's fault.

If the ducks get it at least its being used Smiley

Do they sell grapes loose anymore? (confession I only shop at Tesco or Morrison's ). I find the punnets massive but I do get through them, though I had some go off after 3 days a few weeks ago.

Pretty much, yes, they come in zipper bags, just remove the ones you don't want & buy the depleted bag.

I eat stacks of them though, north of a lb a day.

Good for exercising bowels though, evacuations are very thorough.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #35896 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »

Had the most amazing day. Truly awesome spectacle. The tour was exceptional full of mind boggling facts an figures.

Click to see full-size image.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #35897 on: October 22, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »

Jeez, I'm TERRIBLE at throwing away food that is not fresh. I rarely use more than half a loaf of bread (though I'm off bread at present), I get a fresh loaf & the ducks get the rest.

I've always felt a bit bad about it, but now I feel better, because I can blame Tesco. Excellent. Problem solved. It's Tesco's fault.

Do they sell grapes loose anymore? (confession I only shop at Tesco or Morrison's ). I find the punnets massive but I do get through them, though I had some go off after 3 days a few weeks ago.

2 young nippers solves the grapes going off problem, though bananas can be an issue.  Bread in the freezer is wrong.

I do most of the shopping and don't shop much in advance, when the missus gets involved it can be carange.  She'll go online and buy a truckload because it is all 2 for 1, ... then decide she wants to eat out, ... then it all runs out in 2 days.

Should start a gardening thread.  Tomato plants £1 each, and produce loads of veg fruit if you can just remember to water them.

Oh and MOL clearly needs to prepare better for going on twitter, no matter what you think of his business.  I have used RyanAir but they do irritate me, they advertise at a third the price of the competition, then they bung a load of unavoidable extras on and you end up paying half price.  Just advertise at half price, I am still buying.  And RyanAir refunded the fella with the dead kids, he isn't that heartless, and it is obviously just one of those things that sometimes goes wrong with big buisness.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35898 on: October 22, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »

Ooh, Hoover Dam itt!

I only go to Vegas for the poker, but aside from the Baseball game I attended last year, the only non-poker stuff I do is the Hoover Dam, & I try to visit it most years.

It blows me away, the sheer size of it, the audacity of the concept when first envisaged. And to think of the heat those workers had to endure when building it. After work, they went back to their timber shacks, with no air-con. Then I get in the Taxi & complain if the aircon is not working.....

Did you stop off at Boulder City? Incredible feel of modern history there. Frontiersville, back in the day.

No Hoover Dam = no water, & no Vegas. No railroad, either.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35899 on: October 22, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

2 young nippers solves the grapes going off problem, though bananas can be an issue.  Bread in the freezer is wrong.

I do most of the shopping and don't shop much in advance, when the missus gets involved it can be carange.  She'll go online and buy a truckload because it is all 2 for 1, ... then decide she wants to eat out, ... then it all runs out in 2 days.

Should start a gardening thread.  Tomato plants £1 each, and produce loads of veg fruit if you can just remember to water them.

Oh and MOL clearly needs to prepare better for going on twitter, no matter what you think of his business.  I have used RyanAir but they do irritate me, they advertise at a third the price of the competition, then they bung a load of unavoidable extras on and you end up paying half price.  Just advertise at half price, I am still buying.  And RyanAir refunded the fella with the dead kids, he isn't that heartless, and it is obviously just one of those things that sometimes goes wrong with big buisness.  

Yeah, I just went googling, & discovered that. But mud sticks, & people WANT to believe bad things about MOL & Ryanair, it's so easy.

Ryanair "extras"? Yup, 30% of their profit comes from ancillary sales these days. Most impressive, imo. Bet you wish you had got Shares in them when they first floated. Wink I went for BA instead. Lovely brand, shit business.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:25:11 PM by tikay » Logged

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #35900 on: October 22, 2013, 04:25:26 PM »

Ooh, Hoover Dam itt!

I only go to Vegas for the poker, but aside from the Baseball game I attended last year, the only non-poker stuff I do is the Hoover Dam, & I try to visit it most years.

It blows me away, the sheer size of it, the audacity of the concept when first envisaged. And to think of the heat those workers had to endure when building it. After work, they went back to their timber shacks, with no air-con. Then I get in the Taxi & complain if the aircon is not working.....

Did you stop off at Boulder City? Incredible feel of modern history there. Frontiersville, back in the day.

So much concrete. Apparently they had to install pipes inside the concrete so they could run water through them to get it to set quicker otherwise it would take approx 100 years. But then you know that.

I only had time for the Dam as my car hire expired mid afternoon. On other visits I too have gone just for the pokerings. First time I've had a car because we went to LA for three days and I wanted to experience driving into Vegas after sunset. Will definitely hire a car again and do more travelling.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:27:11 PM by Kev B » Logged

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35901 on: October 22, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »

An almost ninja edit there Kev Smiley
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35902 on: October 22, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »

Ooh, Hoover Dam itt!

I can't believe you haven't been, so much concrete. Apparently they had to install pipes inside the concrete so they could run water through them to get it to set quicker otherwise it would take approx 100 years.

I only had time for the Dam as my car hire expired mid afternoon. On other visits I too have gone just for the pokerings. First time I've had a car because we went to LA for three days and I wanted to experience driving into Vegas after sunset. Will definitely hire a car again and do more travelling.

I have been - I visit it every year!

Concrete generates heat whilst curing, so has to be kept artificially cool.

In the case of the Hoover Dam, much of it was "mass concrete", & the ambient temps are obviously high anyway, so it was quite a headache.

Failure to keep it cool whilst curing (curing, not "setting") means it shrinks & cracks. That's a damn bad thing in a Dam.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #35903 on: October 22, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

Thank you Andrew. I have a habit of skim reading whilst multi tasking on the computer. I really must stop doing that.  Grin Grin Grin

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35904 on: October 22, 2013, 04:34:33 PM »

Ha, I missed that.

I need to remove my head from my arse more often.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #35905 on: October 22, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »

Thank you Andrew. I have a habit of skim reading whilst multi tasking on the computer. I really must stop doing that.  Grin Grin Grin

Not quick enough for Tikay though eh lol.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #35906 on: October 22, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »

Yeah, I just went googling, & discovered that. But mud sticks, & people WANT to believe bad things about MOL & Ryanair, it's so easy.

Ryanair "extras"? Yup, 30% of their profit comes from ancillary sales these days. Most impressive, imo. Bet you wish you had got Shares in them when they first floated. Wink I went for BA instead. Lovely brand, shit business.

Think easyjet (who get nothing like the same stick) have outperformed ryanair in the share dept over the last 5 years.

I really can't understand your blind spot with Ryanair.  Do you think people like Camel (and myself), who will never use Ryanair unless they are the only realistic choice, don't number millions?  They smell bad and that's a PR disaster for an airline.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35907 on: October 22, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »

Think easyjet (who get nothing like the same stick) have outperformed ryanair in the share dept over the last 5 years.

I really can't understand your blind spot with Ryanair.  Do you think people like Camel (and myself), who will never use Ryanair unless they are the only realistic choice, don't number millions?  They smell bad and that's a PR disaster for an airline.

With the exception perhaps of first class/business class and/or long haul flight regulars, don't you think that 99.99% of air travellers, especially short haul flight travellers, simply pick the cheapest flight or the flight with the most convenient times? I think Tikay and Camel are just the loud minority (albeit on opposite ends of the spectrum of course), I don't think any kind of brand hatred or loyalty comes into it.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35908 on: October 22, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

Most do just pick the cheapest, which does show people up for being skinflints.

It's not just flights, but hotels, insurance, a load of things that can be compared on price aggregator websites. People will pick the cheapest one, then bitch and moan when their flight/hotel/whatever turns out to be shit, but then next time, they're straight back to Laterooms/Expedia and booking the cheapest one again, seemingly oblivious to why certain companies manage to be cheaper than others offering very similar things.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #35909 on: October 22, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »

When I went to Galway in the summer I seriously considered getting a train to London and going from Heathrow AND spending 2.5 times the price for the flight to save using Ryanaiir.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 ... 2390 2391 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 2397 2398 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: