blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 06:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Queens at APAT
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Queens at APAT  (Read 2091 times)
Charlie44

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2008, 10:03:28 PM »

New to this site. Very impressed Thought I'd make a contribution.

Playing at Manchester APAT last year had the following 3 hands - wonder what you would have done. Some of the stack sizes other detail may not be absolutely accurate but my best recollection.

200 entrants. Entry fee £75 Prize structure flat. 1st £4k? 2nd £2.5k ? 3rd £1,250, ? 4th - 9th £700 ,   10th - 20th £400.

Hand 1
about 4th level. Folded to mid position player (stack size approx 80 blinds - average 60 blinds ) raise to 4 blinds - has been playing solidly. Folded to me (stack size 40 blinds - been playing tight not shown many hands - recently lost showdown - 30% of stack with 2 pair against straight) on cutoff pick up QQ  re raise to 10 blinds. Folded to raiser who goes all in. Call or fold ?

Hand 2 

Early 2nd day - 23 people still in. I ( stack size 20 blinds - average stack. Still playing fairly tight - made some plays but only 1 seen - all in K2 with 6 blinds called by mid afternoon previous day - made straight on river. ) picked up QQ again mid position - raised to 4 blinds. Folded to cutoff (cant remember his playing type - 14 blinds) went all in. Folded to me. Call or fold ?

Hand 3

Just 3 hand later now down to bubble - 2 stacks less than me - I have 6 blinds (you can guess what i did in hand 2 !) . I pick up  you,ve guessed it QQ UTG. Most are playing tight except for the player on the BB ( about 25 blinds average stack) who has been very loose pre flop. I would expect him to call with 50 % of hands.  Raise, call or fold ?

As there are 3 hands (hope this is allowed!) perhaps you can summarise you response with e.g Call/fold/raise before going into detail for reasons.       

WarBwastard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:14:56 PM »

Hand 1 - call.  I assume you folded here as there wouldn't be a hand 2 and if you shoved and won there's no point in you posting it, but if I was putting in 25% of my stack I'm calling the rest to a shove.

Hand 2 - call again, his range with only 14 blinds left is wider than the KK and AA that beat you.

Hand 3 - I don't think I'm ever folding queens with only 6 big blinds left even if I am on the bubble.

http://la-boca-de-la-cueva.blogspot.com/

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -- Bertrand Russell
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »

Hand 1, I call but can see the argument for the fold here..they go in for me. QQ, you're only behind to AA/KK and his range is surely wider than that? (Bring in tens, jacks, AQ,AK?..asking as you were at the table and I wasn't) You've already put in 25% of your chips...now the rest go in.

Hand 2, good call..with 20bbs I don't fold Queens..

Hand 3..shove, you only have 6 BBs, people expect you to shove with a wide range..so let them think they are ahead.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:18:42 PM »

1-I probably call but argument for folding(if I was a nit)

2-call

3-obv raise-why would you fold this ever???(unless the cashing means a lot to you- but for an entry fee of £75 to win £400?Huh?)

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
Charlie44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

Hand 1 - call.  I assume you folded here as there wouldn't be a hand 2 and if you shoved and won there's no point in you posting it, but if I was putting in 25% of my stack I'm calling the rest to a shove.

Hand 2 - call again, his range with only 14 blinds left is wider than the KK and AA that beat you.

Hand 3 - I don't think I'm ever folding queens with only 6 big blinds left even if I am on the bubble.

The only reason I folded hand 3 was the very flat structure of the prize money . I would have to have been at least 3rd to be significantly above £400. For best return surely fold is the right move ?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »

i aint folding none of them

not in an apat event

maybe in the wsop when the bubble is worth $10000+

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Charlie44

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »

Hand 1, I call but can see the argument for the fold here..they go in for me. QQ, you're only behind to AA/KK and his range is surely wider than that? (Bring in tens, jacks, AQ,AK?..asking as you were at the table and I wasn't) You've already put in 25% of your chips...now the rest go in.

Hand 3..shove, you only have 6 BBs, people expect you to shove with a wide range..so let them think they are ahead.

Hand 1

I folded here because in my opinion his likely range is AA and KK. AK always possible because of his bigger stack but I felt unlikely from his previous play. He showed me AA.

Hand 2

Clear call for me. Unfortunately he had KK and I didnt get my Q. on the board.

Hand 3

I folded because of the very flat structure and the fish in BB. I would have had to come at least 3rd to have significantly more prize money that $400. I folded and the bubble burst next hand. Finished in 14th. 
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »

I get it in every hand and im happy about it. QQ is very big hand in all these situations.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:12 AM »

You don't have enough information to fold Queens in any of these spots

To fold Queens you have to be pretty damn sure they have AA or KK. QQ is 58% against AK which you have to take as too much chance they might have AQ or worse.

Definitely calling the first two times...and obviously have to shove the latter.

I don't think I'd consider folding 66s UTG with six big blinds left...this is a terrible fold even in a bubble situation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:16:41 AM by MC » Logged

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:55:56 AM »

I don't have much to add (call, call, shove)

Hand 3 has to be a shove, and you'd love a call as you really don't mind taking 70:30 on the chance of a double-up.

Prospect of finishing on the bubble is to be largely ignored because as you say, the top 3 spots are where the money is.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 04:45:50 AM »

Hand 1

I folded here because in my opinion his likely range is AA and KK. AK always possible because of his bigger stack but I felt unlikely from his previous play. He showed me AA.

Hand 2

Clear call for me. Unfortunately he had KK and I didnt get my Q. on the board.

Hand 3

I folded because of the very flat structure and the fish in BB. I would have had to come at least 3rd to have significantly more prize money that $400. I folded and the bubble burst next hand. Finished in 14th. 
[/b]

whoa there, this is not good. i could poss understand something like 88/99 maybe as u are so close to (only) doubling ur money due to their vulnerability but QQ is a monster. Terrible fold im afraid boss.

hand one, rring to 10bb out of your 40bb stack and folding to a shove is a criminal offence. insta-call.....not coz ur miles ahead of his range, but because u thought about what to do if he shoved.

hand 2, hope u snapped.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 08:46:55 AM »

As it stands I'm not folding any of them.

On the first one I would be inclined to fold - but I wouldn't because of the rr to 10xbb. If I'd played it I'd have flat called the raise, either to hide a flopped monster, to bet out if I'm probably ahead or to fold if I think I'm behind and only lose 4xbb.

This might get me knocked out of a few pots that I should be winning, that's my rock-like tendencies coming to the fore - but even I'm not rock enough to fold after committing a quarter of my stack pre-flop with QQ.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Rupert
:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »

hand 1 I prefer flatting pre if it is going to be a tough decision if he shoves.  if you're 3 betting with the intention of folding you might as well have 62o here because he will seldom flat call you.  Live I think flatting is best after he 4x's it

hand 2 3x pre, now call a shove.  don't fold 66+ getting 2/1

hand 3 easy shove cos you dont hate money

Charlie44

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 02:34:21 PM »

Hand 1

Hand 2

Clear call for me. Unfortunately he had KK and I didn't get my Q. on the board.

Hand 3

[/b]

whoa there, this is not good. i could poss understand something like 88/99 maybe as u are so close to (only) doubling ur money due to their vulnerability but QQ is a monster. Terrible fold im afraid boss.

hand one, rring to 10bb out of your 40bb stack and folding to a shove is a criminal offence. insta-call.....not coz ur miles ahead of his range, but because u thought about what to do if he shoved.

hand 2, hope u snapped.

Hand 3
Everybody has said shove and I respect your more experienced advice. Sorry to be a pain but I decide to do some maths which I think proves you right and me wrong. I honestly though with such a flat structure it cant be right to shove. Though I would say the the expected increase in return is very marginal, and whilst the judgements are thought through, they are by nature subjective and open to errors. Those who like to do a bit of maths I would appreciate constructive criticism.

If fold QQ expected return :
1st - 3rd average £2583 x (say) 5% = £129
4th - 10th £700 x (say) 20% = £140
11th - 20th £400 x (say) 65%  = £260
Out on bubble  £0 x 10%    =     £0
Total expected return =          £529.

If shove then if get called with just 1 caller (probably BB) I think the best estimate is you'll be out 30 % of the time, plus even if you win hand - very small chance you will still go out on bubble (say 2%), So remaining 68% divided amongst placings.

So expected return if you shove and get called may be:
1st - 3rd £2583 x 8% (remember even if you win hand you are still less than average stack) = £206
4th - 10th £700 x  (say) 20% = £140
11th - 20th £400 x (say) 40% = £160
Out on bubble       (say) 32%   = £0
Total                                  = £506

If shove and all fold I am up to 7.5 blinds and the expected return may be as follows
1st - 3rd average £2583 x (say) 7% = £181
4th - 10th £700 x (say) 25% = £175
11th - 20th £400 x (say) 60%  = £240
Out on bubble  £0 x 8%    =     £0
Total                              =  £596

So if you shove and everybody folds ( 40% chance in my opinion- see intro notes) you gain £596-£529 = £67.
If shove and called (60%) expected return reduced by £529 - £506 = £23.
Total increase in expected return for shove is (40% x £67) - (60% x £23 ) = £13.

Thanks guys. I'm pushing next time in similar position. Anybody still awake would appreciate comment

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »

Am on tilt now

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: