blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 12:57:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Russell Brand vs. Jeremy Paxman
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Russell Brand vs. Jeremy Paxman  (Read 9873 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »

See we have different ideas of what an MP should be, i want the best of the best leaving the private sector entering the public and using their skill sets, they won't do this unless the pay is at least near that of the private sector. Until that is the case we will get substandard applicants for the most important jobs in the country.

but MPs don't do anything that that justifies their salaries+the rest at the moment.  They don't make policy, they don't write laws, they just vote the way they're told. 

So basically you don't know what the job of being an 'MP' entails do you?

To be fair, most people who comment on how rubbish MP's are have no idea what they do either.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »

See we have different ideas of what an MP should be, i want the best of the best leaving the private sector entering the public and using their skill sets, they won't do this unless the pay is at least near that of the private sector. Until that is the case we will get substandard applicants for the most important jobs in the country.

but MPs don't do anything that that justifies their salaries+the rest at the moment.  They don't make policy, they don't write laws, they just vote the way they're told. 

To be fair, most people who comment on how rubbish MP's are have no idea what they do either.

I could have sworn those in parliament are meant to represent the populace. Pretty sure that's not the case in practice tho.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

I could cover all the other bollocks they do (like being rude in commitees), but none of it justifies a salary any higher than a middle manager. 

If you have something they do, that you think requires a talent that is particularly scare, please enlighten me.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2013, 05:40:47 AM »

Basically, any excuse to post a Stewart Lee sketch

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »

I like Russell Brand and think he is a refreshingly witty fellow. If you identify a problem but don't really have a solution the best thing you can do is raise awareness and stimulate debate. I notice that even on a poker forum this video has been posted and numerous pages of debate have followed. Thus he is making contribution to a solution even if he doesn't know what that solution is right now.

I don't buy the concept that MPs should be paid handsomely to attract the best talent because I figure the very best public servants are stimulated by the opportunity to make a difference rather than by financial reward. If people in the media spotlight today can highlight problems and thus encourage a future generation of public spirited problem solvers then I don't see how that is a bad thing.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »

Also remove the power the City of London has over our 'democratic' parliament.

As we're quoting the New Statesman:

http://www.newstatesman.com/economy/2011/02/london-corporation-city
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:29:21 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »

I am not going to defend offshore tax havens, but that article doesn't seem to show that the city is a tax haven, or how it writes its own laws and regulations.  It is probably a good idea to approach articles in the New Statesman with the same healthy cynicism as you would an article in the Daily Mail.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »

I am not going to defend offshore tax havens, but that article doesn't seem to show that the city is a tax haven, or how it writes its own laws and regulations.  It is probably a good idea to approach articles in the New Statesman with the same healthy cynicism as you would an article in the Daily Mail.

That was just a link to highlight what the City of London Corporation is.  Most people aren't aware of it, or the massive influence it has on our 'democracy' and how the system controls wealth (and the lack of it).

A far more in-depth read is Treasure Islands, by Nick Shaxson.  You can buy it through the blonde code to give blonde a bit of a kick-back (although there's no kick-back for the HMRC)... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Islands-Havens-Stole-World/dp/0099541726/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=blondepoker-21

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

H

That was just a link to highlight what the City of London Corporation is.  Most people aren't aware of it, or the massive influence it has on our 'democracy' and how the system controls wealth (and the lack of it).

A far more in-depth read is Treasure Islands, by Nick Shaxson.  You can buy it through the blonde code to give blonde a bit of a kick-back (although there's no kick-back for the HMRC)... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Islands-Havens-Stole-World/dp/0099541726/ref=as_li_wdgt_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=blondepoker-21

But he wrote the article, which looks like dishonest gibberish.  Why would his book be different?  I am not saying Financial institutions do not have influence, but the article doesn't say that, it says the City is a tax haven, which is bollocks.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »

H

But he wrote the article, which looks like dishonest gibberish.  Why would his book be different?  I am not saying Financial institutions do not have influence, but the article doesn't say that, it says the City is a tax haven, which is bollocks.

I disagree.  Whilst it doesn't act as a physical tax haven, it's a fundamental part of the system that enables and allows the tax havens to work as they do.  It's also a highly undemocratic and very powerful entity, and isn't really accountable to anyone.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:25:52 AM by kinboshi » Logged

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »

H

I disagree.  Whilst it doesn't act as a physical tax haven, it's a fundamental part of the system that enables and allows the tax havens to work as they do.  It's also a highly undemocratic and very powerful entity, and isn't really accountable to anyone.

Are we talking The City, the City of London Corporation, some firms that work in the City, those based in Canary Wharf, those with Overseas Parents?  The Financial Sector isn't an entity, it is a whole bunch of separate companies that compete with each other.  The City doesn't tell CitiBank what to do, Prudential doesn't set European Law and KPMG doesn't work out of the Bank of England offices.  All these companies are accountable to lots of different people.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »

H

Are we talking The City, the City of London Corporation, some firms that work in the City, those based in Canary Wharf, those with Overseas Parents?  The Financial Sector isn't an entity, it is a whole bunch of separate companies that compete with each other.  The City doesn't tell CitiBank what to do, Prudential doesn't set European Law and KPMG doesn't work out of the Bank of England offices.  All these companies are accountable to lots of different people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London_Corporation

Does the role of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_remembrancer really have a place in a democratic system?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 02:01:25 PM by kinboshi » Logged

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »

Brand may be a bit of a tosser but what he says is 100% correct.  Constitututional Politics have failed these islands for hundreds of years.  Election after election not much changes for the majority.  The poor continue to be poor the rich get richer. 

I hope Scotland choses independence next year, maybe she can do something different and show the rest of these islands where we all live that there is a different way.  Sadly I believe that won't be the case becaue the same people who fail us time and again operate a campaign of negativity and fear which will win votes. 

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »

... Constitututional Politics have failed these islands for hundreds of years.  Election after election not much changes for the majority.  The poor continue to be poor the rich get richer. 

A lot of the poor have got richer - then they're counted as being part of the rich; by definition the poor continue to be poor.

If you really think that 'the government' hasn't improved the lives of 99% of the population over the last few hundred years then you don't really have a good understanding of social history.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: