blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 10:54:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Stupid is, as stupid does
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stupid is, as stupid does  (Read 16977 times)
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »

ok, up until now I assumed that everyone was levelling itt but then I found that at least another 32, 855 people also thought the same http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-always-thought-numbers-on-the-toaster-were-a-heat-setting-and-not-minutes/113163365388652

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2011, 12:12:05 AM »

http://www.thetoasterproject.org/

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Skippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2011, 01:16:51 AM »

Someone mentioned carbon footprint.

What's all that off-setting your carbon footprint about? I don't understand how it's meant to work. Can someone explain so I can add it as my stupid thing?

my understanding of it is, someone plants a tree!

That's the thing I don't get.

I sort of get the idea that if you fly over to Vegas you feel guilty about all those bunnies you've killed with your needless pollution, so you invest some money in a wind farm somewhere that helps to reduce future carbon emissions.  That sort of nearly makes sense.

But this idea of planting a tree?  How does that help?  The tree is planted and grows, converting the carbon dioxide in the air into the stuff that makes the tree, so that removes some carbon dioxide from the atmosphere for a while.  But then when the tree dies that carbon is released as.... carbon dioxide as it decomposes or is burnt, etc.

I think the bit you are missing is probably in the "etc." bit. There is quite a lot you can do with a tree that doesn't release the carbon dioxide- if you use the wood to build a house, or turn it into paper, that carbon is locked up until your house burns down or you burn the paper. I imagine most of these offsetting plans are planting commercially useful trees.

Or, supposing you imagine a wild tree. Sure, that tree might die and decompose, but it will in general try to dump a load of seeds and make another tree on the same spot. Most of the time your carbon will be locked up in some sort of tree- either the one you plant, or its successors.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2011, 01:39:44 AM »

I found out that the numbers on a toaster are not different heat settings but that they correspond to minutes of cooking time.

I knew this, I feel smart, although I'm not convinced its minutes just a longer time.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:48:32 AM by Woodsey » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2011, 11:20:57 AM »

Someone mentioned carbon footprint.

What's all that off-setting your carbon footprint about? I don't understand how it's meant to work. Can someone explain so I can add it as my stupid thing?

my understanding of it is, someone plants a tree!

That's the thing I don't get.

I sort of get the idea that if you fly over to Vegas you feel guilty about all those bunnies you've killed with your needless pollution, so you invest some money in a wind farm somewhere that helps to reduce future carbon emissions.  That sort of nearly makes sense.

But this idea of planting a tree?  How does that help?  The tree is planted and grows, converting the carbon dioxide in the air into the stuff that makes the tree, so that removes some carbon dioxide from the atmosphere for a while.  But then when the tree dies that carbon is released as.... carbon dioxide as it decomposes or is burnt, etc.

I think the bit you are missing is probably in the "etc." bit. There is quite a lot you can do with a tree that doesn't release the carbon dioxide- if you use the wood to build a house, or turn it into paper, that carbon is locked up until your house burns down or you burn the paper. I imagine most of these offsetting plans are planting commercially useful trees.

Or, supposing you imagine a wild tree. Sure, that tree might die and decompose, but it will in general try to dump a load of seeds and make another tree on the same spot. Most of the time your carbon will be locked up in some sort of tree- either the one you plant, or its successors.

It's still only 'holding' the carbon temporarily though, be it ten, fifty or a hundred years. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for planting trees, I just don't think it offsets any carbon footprint. Offsetting by investing in wind-farms or solar technology, etc. makes sense as it helps to generate energy without burning carbon.  The tree-planting doesn't achieve this.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »

Sigh this thread has defo not gone down the direction I intended. Surely someone has done something stupid or realised something they thought was stupid recently?

Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »

If you have a 4 slice toaster (Like Boshi), and you only want to have 2 slices of toast, you would normally use the 2 slots on the left or the 2 slots on the right, then the slice of toast that is nearest to the 2 empty slots, does not get cooked to the same level of browness as the slice that is nearest the sidewall of the toaster.  It pops up with one side under-done...!!! The other side of that slice is fine.  This is because the heat that should be directed towards the bread loses some because there is no toast in the empty slots. Smiley
Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »

I used to think that Duck A L'Orange was named because of that nice little French town called "Orange"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »

Sigh this thread has defo not gone down the direction I intended. Surely someone has done something stupid or realised something they thought was stupid recently?

blonde threads are famous for their unsteerability.

The older I get, the better I was.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »

i had a Chinese on Friday that was pretty stupid

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »

When I was little, and went to bed, the sheets were cold, and my mum used to go into another room and turn a switch that would warm up my sheets for me..!!  It worked as well..!!
Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

I used to believe that Don Quixote's first name was Donkey..!!
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »

Surely someone has done something stupid or realised something they thought was stupid recently?

for starters it was pretty stupid of you to start a thread and not expect it to end as a toast convo

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »

i only recently clicked after years of watching it that nickelodeon isn't just some made up nonsense word.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »

i only recently clicked after years of watching it that nickelodeon isn't just some made up nonsense word.

I only just realised it has nothing to do with knickers.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: