blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272679 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Crossing a line with TWO WORD POKER STORY?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crossing a line with TWO WORD POKER STORY?  (Read 8775 times)
Poppet7
Little Madam!

Lucky Lady

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 11:09:59 AM »

That's true, I wasn't blushing because I knew it was just a joke, I don't get offended easily by stuff like that. Thank you Tank, you are, as Heid said, a gent. Have a nice day all xx

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »

Thanks for raising this point tank. This was what I was alluding to last night when it was pointed out that I swear too much. Swearing may not be offensive to all, and neither might that story. But others will be offended. It should be discussed by the mods anyway. I think heid says it best when she said that its always done with affection and warmth. Thats the good thing about blonde, unlike any other forum on the internet I have ever been to.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 12:01:06 PM by mikkyT » Logged
Heid
Nuuuuu Meeeeja Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 12:10:05 PM »

I think the difference is within the context.

Swearing and insulting behaviour is much more contextually offensive in most cases than mild smut. Certainly for British cultural sensibilities - hence why we enjoy carry on films so much.

I think the fact that swearing and insulting words can cause hackles to be raised in a thread much quicker than smut - as proved by the fact that the two word poker story is now over 200 pages long, whilst any thread infected by vicious and insulting behaviour is removed and dealt with - ususally at the request of a member.

As I stated in my previous post - I believe from reading this thread, Tank was acting upon incomplete information when he started this thread, as is so ften the case in non verbal and non face to face communication - we lose so much more - around 85% of thje information we normally get from a face to face conversation, in fact.

I was asked to remove this thread, but I thought that it could be calmed by a few well chosen words, and we could amicably move on. I hope this is still the case.

Heid
xx

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no bubble; there is the Final Table.
johnlarsson
Big Jzer

Off duty clown

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 12:12:44 PM »

never mind that.

Poppet i have just saw. you average 29 posts a day....!

Do you sleep eat or go out?

my profile is number 1888  ha ha ha lmao
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »

Dont think thats needed Heid, we're all good natured adult people. Well maybe apart from me. Surely the topic can be debated without the need for censorship. Although your calming soothing words are great on the eyes, I don't believe it was stormy in this thread in the first place  Cheesy.

You certainly make a great point... although I'd have to disagree with the classing of all British cultural sensibilities as equal Smiley Humourous anecdote.... When you spend a night in Glasgow where swearing is used for punctuation, and you see that people are not being offensive but polite, the world becomes a completely different place. It was a weird experience. And try as I might to persuade my wonderful other half to curb her tongue whilst we lived in Oxford, it did no good and we eventually moved back (although only due to redundancy I might add!) so as the old saying goes, "When in Rome...."

As for poppets post average, aren't they all related to Dave!?
Poppet7
Little Madam!

Lucky Lady

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 12:31:02 PM »

No I don't sleep, or very rarely, today I slept from 5.30am, til 9am then wanted to get up!
I don't go out either, I'm normally cooped up in my room all day - sad I know (although have to start going to college!)

and no MikkyT... they do not all relate to Dave!  Cheesy

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »

Okay... tank too Smiley
Poppet7
Little Madam!

Lucky Lady

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 12:34:37 PM »

You're just jealous 

Heid
Nuuuuu Meeeeja Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 12:35:39 PM »

It's a bit like when you go to a different country and they use the horn on their car for a different reason, once you translate that a beep can mean, off you go .. here I am ...mind that pot hole...be careful of the dead sheep around the corner, then your eyes and ears begin to extrapolate differently.

I swear a lot, I am sure the people that I use MSN with a lot are more than shocked at my use of the many swear words I have come to know and love over the years, but I wouldn't converse in those same terms on this forum as I do with my friends on MSN - I'd get banned Smiley

You make an interesting point about cultural and regional differences - it is part of the challenge that the internet poses, in terms of context and moderation. One man's greeting, is another man's call to arms.

I'd class this place as a quite rowdy bar where everyone was friends, and people respect each other, newcomers are welcomed, and given the chance to prove themselves. Some people choose not to talk to certain others, and occasioanlly something naughty slips out of someones mouth.

Myself, I have to be so careful not to swear like a tropper at any given oppurtunity - I even swore at a job interview lately - I got the job, but hell, that could have gone so differently!

At it's basest point - it is all about context.

Heid
xx

Trace
21/01/07 18:33:11

Mrs Fielding to be!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

I too posted on this thread, but way back pre-100 I think, and when it was fun!

I had noticed it had kind of started to run away with itself in the past few days, I didn't bother reading it, and don't think I have once since it hit 100 pages.

To be honest, I'm bored with it and sick to death of it appearing on my "show new replies to your posts", but I do just ignore it and "mark as read" when I'm finished looking at the stuff I am interested in.

It would be nice if we could have a "never show this thread" option on the forum, that people can pick and choose to use on anything they are not interested in any longer.

Trace
xx

Liberavi animam meam
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 12:38:33 PM »

How the hell did you manage to swear at a job interview 
Heid
Nuuuuu Meeeeja Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 12:42:01 PM »

How the hell did you manage to swear at a job interview 

I am very creative Smiley

Get me on a roll about something I am passionate about and I am off.. don't forget my job is to moderate moderators basically, so I have to talk about things like swear words and context and all that malarkey Smiley

Luckily it all went down very well!

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 12:45:27 PM »

ahhh I thought you meant a real worldy job interview, face to face like.
Heid
Nuuuuu Meeeeja Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 12:53:28 PM »

ahhh I thought you meant a real worldy job interview, face to face like.

Oh no it was face to face Smiley

Very real world Smiley

Proper job in fact, even!

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »

hence why we enjoy carry on films so much.

Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?

couldnt think of a worse way to spend 2 hours of my life!!! not that i have anything about sexual innuendo (fnarr fnarr) but because the films are pap (note the user friendly swear word Wink)

Personally i agree with several of the other posters on this thread - i've never taken an interest in the two word story thread and have never contributed on it, i stopped reading it a few days after it started mainly because if i hadnt signed in for a few days it took too long to catch up with it. Now if i see that its back up at the top of the list i just dont open it.

If i ever saw a thread that i thought was inappropriate then i would inform one of the mods and ask their opinion as to whether it is suitable or not - but then if you've read some of the drivel i post on here you'll realize thats not very likely. Same as if someone read a post of mine that they thought inappropriate, if the mods concurred that it was inappropriate i would have no objections to it being removed.

I think that we have the balance just about right on this forum - i used to post on others but soon stopped because of various flame wars etc etc.

As the saying goes - if it aint broke dont fix it.

sponsored by Fyffes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: