blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:47:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272684 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  1/2 live cash game
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1/2 live cash game  (Read 2376 times)
Pyso

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »

I think the way you played the hand was fine, you just got a little unlucky. I have posted this sort of hand myself before and the responses have been about the same. Most say call, unlucky, move on etc.

Having said that, in the spot you describe, when he re-raises you the alarm bells should be going off really. At this point you need to start thinking what hand does he think you have. This is very important if you are to get away from the hand.

If this was at DTD then maybe the raise needs to be more, as does the c-bet, but as played I don't see too much wrong. It's hard to say you should pass when we weren't there at the table. For me in a live game the opponent and his live tells and mannerisms are a huge part of my decision process.

Another idea might be to occasionally limp from utg with such a big pair because raising here turns your hand pretty face up, and at a £1/2 table at most venues it would be extremely unlikely if you didn't get a raise of some sort from the later seats. I wouldn't advocate doing it every time, but it might work if you have a particularly tight image. Just a thought.
LuckyLloyd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 04:34:13 AM »

"Villain is a good player, capable of creative plays"

.....mmmm, calling from the BB with  is certainly creative.

Normally I would say that as described he is a fishy luckbox. But if a player has a reliable read that you have a big pair then (if he is deepstacked and so are you) he can pretty much call with any two cards. There are plenty of cash players who take this line.

I just wonder if he had some kind of tell on you? Did he know this was your last hand? Were you so tight that you could only be raising UTG with such a hand?

..and as someone said, this is live poker, so nothing should surprise you. Also, just because he has a big stack doesn't mean a thing. It's how he accumulated it that is relevant.

- On a general level, everyone expects everyone to play their last hand once they announce it. Unless this guy has a seeing eye, it is more likely that he believes hero is light than it is that he believes he has a big pair;
- Hero has noted Villain was unhappy at losing previous pots, making it more likely that he says "fuck it, I'll play any two out of spite seeing as it is his last hand;
- Live 1 / 2 players are fucking idiots until proven otherwise, guilty until proven innocent so to speak;
- 100BBs is NOT especially deep, and is not deep enough to make defending Q5o correct;
- If he called because he had some 'read' that hero has JJ+ and was trying to outflop - i.e. if he had as logical a thought process as you contend - then he should fall the flop, rather than calling for the five outer. Right?;

People play bad and get lucky all the time at these stakes. Though, hero should:

A) Be thinking about ways to get all the loot in 100BBs deep with an big overpair to the board rather than finding ways to justify a fold;
B) Plan ahead in a hand;

"All glory comes from daring to begin" - Eugene F. Ware.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »

Decide before you bet.

Agree with this. I would probably either check the turn or bet/snap call.

Disagree with this. Board has not got so scary we can ever check behind for pot control on turn realistically. We dont have enough history to start checking back for deception on funky boards to get additional value later (which we would some of the time on a dry board (239r). 100bb deep v a relative unknown we need to look at his overall range and figure we crush but need to protect. We dont need to balance or whatnot. We can probably only get two streets from most half decent villains. Turn is 100% bet to protect and get value (look at the zillion draws that will call turn not riv). Re-evaluate after being craised allin, but folding is probably burning money.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: