blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 09:24:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The worst Premier League. Ever?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The worst Premier League. Ever?  (Read 4745 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »

Talking of which, did the case against QPR operating outside of the financial limits ever get resolved? There was talk of huge fines at one time.

£8 million fine.

I have no idea why a rich man can't spend what he likes on a football club he owns.

As long as the money isn't borrowed and he is forced to put up the value of future contracts in escrow. He should be allowed to spend what he wants.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »

Agree.  FFP should be about safeguarding clubs not limiting ambitious owners.  Platini idiocy as usual.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »

Talking of which, did the case against QPR operating outside of the financial limits ever get resolved? There was talk of huge fines at one time.

£8 million fine.

I have no idea why a rich man can't spend what he likes on a football club he owns.

As long as the money isn't borrowed and he is forced to put up the value of future contracts in escrow. He should be allowed to spend what he wants.

wage restriction as part of the FFP really is the pits

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »

Unsurprisingly I'm dead against FFP. We (City) were so lucky to get the investment when we did, before UEFA tried to slam the door shut. They just want to protect the 'big' teams, and ensure that every season its the same names qualifying for the CL.

I can understand they don't want to see another Leeds or Portsmouth, but if a guy can pass the 'right and proper' test thing, and can prove he has the funds to match his ambitions, then let him plough his money into whatever club desired.

It's such a shame that so many clubs essentially have a glass ceiling above them, all thanks to FFP. Nothing fair about it whatsoever IMO. I also thought it was fucking laughable that when City got fined the other season, along with PSG, for breaching the rules, the fine money was distributed amongst the other teams in the CL. Put it towards grass roots football? Invest it in technology? Plough it into training more refs and match day officials? Nah, lets just make the wealthiest clubs in the world that little bit wealthier. Idiots.

I also enjoy the irony that City only got taken over by someone eye watering rich because before that we had the worlds poorest billionaire in charge. He didn't have a pot to piss in. Typical City!

Best Bitter.
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 11:39:50 PM »

Think Premier League teams are about 4 times behind the rest of Europe. A winning style now seems to be defend really well and be shit hot on the counter attack. Bayern Munich began this trend when they were dominating Europe, Robben and Ribery with blistering pace on the attack. Real Madrid then carried this on with Ronaldo being the main man, bags of pace and an engine that can go for days.

Barcelona had to change their tactics. The whole "Tika taka" was no longer working. So this went with a top 3 with blistering pace and lightening movement in Saurez Neymar and Messi. And they're back to winning everything.

Now it seems the premier league big boys are all trying to play their on version of "tika taka" which works in the premier league because the defences arn't as good as other European sides. When they come up against the big boys of Europe they have no chance.

Even teams in the premier league who are having success play this counter attacking football. Namely Leicester and West Ham.

4 times behind? I'd say either 3 or 4 mate.

i meant 4 years
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 04:17:24 AM »

I reckon 5 years buzz m8
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »

been meaning to write this for weeks

Manchester city spend fortunes and are already 1/3 shots to win the title

Arsenal are inconsistent, and have real issues spending money to strengthen what they have from who is available

Man U rebuilding

Liverpool permanently rebuilding..sell suarez, spend  sell sterling, spend. spend badly, it might be said

Chelsea trouble behind the scenes?

that leaves space for the likes of Palace, Swansea etc to fill into the top 6 perhaps temporarily

at the other end there are bad teams

sunderland, newcastle, villa, west brom, three promoted teams grappling to adapt..jury out on stoke

performance in europe has been bad for 3 years, and the co-efficient that gets us 4 teams in the champions league must be in trouble

is this cyclical, an accident of so many teams with issues in the short term only?

or is it structural? overpaying average talent, a transfer of wealth from tv deals to players that means they have little incentive to perform?

City are stronger now than than at any point in the last 5 years including their 2 title winning years. Despite last night, I'd would say it is an inevitability that they will bridge the gap in the next few years to the Big 3 of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern.

Arsenal likewise IMO are stronger than they were 5 years ago.

Chelsea were the real deal just over a month ago before  the season started.

United  post Ferguson have not been great. I'd say it is inevitable they will become a major force again when the rebuild is complete. The problem now of course is they have been so dull - before the Liverpool game at the weekend they had only scored 6 times in their last 10 league games. That is unheard of for United and whilst personally I'm enjoying their struggles it is not what we are used to or good for the Premier League.

Liverpool/Spurs. Hmmm.

Looking at the teams City have played this year, we have had big battles with Everton and Palace, both very imprssive  and, to a lesser extent,  Watford.  Comfortable wins only against WBA (very poor) and Chelsea. Of the games I've seen on TV not involving City  I've also been very impressed with Swansea and, just for you, Leicester!

Sure, recent performance in Europe has not been the best. I don't think this is due to a lack of quality and it strikes me we play a completely different game. Using a poker analogy, the Premier  League 90 minutes is like a "super turbo" and many European games are "slow structures".

The risk of losing the 4th spot to Italy is real. Ironically, this is due more to poor performance by English teams in the Europa League than the Champions League.

Thought I'd bump this thread in the event of English teams performing poorly in the Champions league this week and the inevitable comments that the Premier league wasn't what it once was.

Since my post above, about 6 weeks ago, City have a mixed bag of success but I'll stick to my guns that the PL is as good and competitive as ever. Literally, I have been impressed with every team City have played since for reasonable chunks of a game even if they have ended up with a battering.

Just read this from Pedro on his experience so far: 'It’s hard. It’s very different to what I’m used to at Barcelona. Everything is different, very different to the football I'm used to. I think there are a lot of differences, very physical football, very strong. A lot of players attack and it's always complicated. All the games are competitive and very balanced.'

Yep, best league in the world...

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

i think the middle of the league is getting stronger

west ham can get payet, palace, cabaye, leicester kante and inler, stoke shaqiri etc etc

all for fees in excess of £8m plus wages more than competitive with continental leagues, which is why they come. this is the impact of burgeoning TV deals

i don't think the top of the league is stronger, and i certainly don't think the league helps the national team, but thats another debate

it is in the european games that the style of football is really shown up imo. hopefully better this week though!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: