blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 03:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272877 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The worst Premier League. Ever?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The worst Premier League. Ever?  (Read 4807 times)
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 06:17:40 PM »

I think people forget this 'record' EPL tv deal is equally balanced between all 20 clubs (barring additional payments for each game shown - these are marginal compared to the flat fee lump all 20 teams get).  This is what is making the middle 10 clubs so much more competitive as they have real buying power to attract champions league players wages wise who they would never have been able to attract in the past.  Palace/Stoke/Newcastle signings this summer are all evidence of this.

In turn this doesn't make the top teams relatively more competitive against the Spanish giants.  The big two in Spain mop up virtually all the tv money under their tv deal.

I think there is a new La Liga deal next season which attempts to remedy this Arb.  The question is - what is better?  All the teams to get a slice of the pie and we're a bit less competitive in Europe.  Or our top 5 clubs get all of it and win in Europe while handing out 6-0 spankings all over the shop at home.  I know what I think is better.

At the end of the day the English top clubs can outbid nearly everyone in Europe even as it stands.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »

I think people forget this 'record' EPL tv deal is equally balanced between all 20 clubs (barring additional payments for each game shown - these are marginal compared to the flat fee lump all 20 teams get).  This is what is making the middle 10 clubs so much more competitive as they have real buying power to attract champions league players wages wise who they would never have been able to attract in the past.  Palace/Stoke/Newcastle signings this summer are all evidence of this.

In turn this doesn't make the top teams relatively more competitive against the Spanish giants.  The big two in Spain mop up virtually all the tv money under their tv deal.

I think there is a new La Liga deal next season which attempts to remedy this Arb.  The question is - what is better?  All the teams to get a slice of the pie and we're a bit less competitive in Europe.  Or our top 5 clubs get all of it and win in Europe while handing out 6-0 spankings all over the shop at home.  I know what I think is better.

At the end of the day the English top clubs can outbid nearly everyone in Europe even as it stands.

I think our system is great.  It also makes the championship a much better league as well with the parachute payments nearly a third of that league receive which means they can attract players of a certain level who wouldn't have considered that league previously.  All in all football is a great export product for England.  It brings a shit load of foreign money into the country.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »

What is the highest fee paid for a player by any team which isn't Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool?

I'd guess Lukaku, but don't really know.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »

The knock on effect also of the premiership getting flatter in terms of ability is the "tough game" factor. To win the english treble now is going to be nearly impossible to battle all fronts week in week out.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:22 PM »

The knock on effect also of the premiership getting flatter in terms of ability is the "tough game" factor. To win the english treble now is going to be nearly impossible to battle all fronts week in week out.

Also means you can't rest before every champs league week like barca and madrid can because they are 1/10 at home to any one of 10 teams.  Lolapool are resting tonight in the europa league just to try to keep pace in the EPL in their attempt to finish 4th.  Add in the lack of winter break etc and there are a lot of competitive disadvantages associated with EPL champions league teams compared to other countries.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »

I think our system is great.  It also makes the championship a much better league as well with the parachute payments nearly a third of that league receive which means they can attract players of a certain level who wouldn't have considered that league previously.  All in all football is a great export product for England.  It brings a shit load of foreign money into the country.

A completely unrelated question to the thread, but how much parachute money would Blackpool FC have received when they fell out of the EPL after a brief dalliance? A separate question would be where did it go, but that's another story.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »

for blackpool it was £8-16m a year for 4 years

now parachute payments are over three years

Oyston paid himself £10.5m in the single premier league season

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 07:31:45 PM »

Ha, that's awesome.

It's becoming quite a rich businessman's income stream, the EPL, now, a few of the mid-ranking teams making a good few bob. Think Mr Ashley works the system well, too, perhaps the Coates at Stoke, too?

And presumably, Mr Oyston paid himself most of the parachute money, too.

I'd buy a used car from him. Probably.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34268761

I think the Lativan minority share holder is keen to know where all the wonga went as well.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 07:59:41 PM »

Ha, that's awesome.

It's becoming quite a rich businessman's income stream, the EPL, now, a few of the mid-ranking teams making a good few bob. Think Mr Ashley works the system well, too, perhaps the Coates at Stoke, too?

Be surprised if the Coates family take money out of Stoke City.

They put quite a lot back into the local economy and charities.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 08:01:04 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-34268761

I think the Lativan minority share holder is keen to know where all the wonga went as well.

Well yes - presumably he is - or was, as I think his boy took over, deemed to be a "fit & proper person to be a Director of a Football Club". 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »

Ha, that's awesome.

Be surprised if the Coates family take money out of Stoke City.

They put quite a lot back into the local economy and charities.

The point being, it's a profitable venture for them, whether they take the money out is another matter. It still adds to the value of the Club. I admire the family greatly, on many levels. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 08:03:44 PM »

Talking of which, did the case against QPR operating outside of the financial limits ever get resolved? There was talk of huge fines at one time.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »

Think football league bottled it and gave them a mid level fine.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »

Also means you can't rest before every champs league week like barca and madrid can because they are 1/10 at home to any one of 10 teams.  Lolapool are resting tonight in the europa league just to try to keep pace in the EPL in their attempt to finish 4th.  Add in the lack of winter break etc and there are a lot of competitive disadvantages associated with EPL champions league teams compared to other countries.

Think squad rotation here is due to the stockpiling of good but not great players. Not sure barca or madrid rest players that much. People like messi Ronaldo Neymar seem to play pretty much every game

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: