blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:24:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273064 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  call or fold?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: call or fold?  (Read 1661 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:17:58 PM »

1st hand of MTT - starting chips 1500, blinds 25 and 25.

limp with UTG, 2 callers, the blinds check.  Flop  .  Checked to me, I bet out for 200, button raises all in......

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:24:16 PM »

First hand is awkward.  Is it a cheapish mtt?  If it happened in one of the $3-$5 mtt's I play, I'd probably call.  Even if he's hit the straight, you have a few outs for the full house (slim I know)  It will also set you up nicely for the tourney.  If it were one of the higher entry fee ones, I'd probably fold.

If it's a rebuy I'd call too.

edit: He can't have the straight, surely would have called with AQ.  I would say he's either hit top pair with a weak kicker or is on a draw.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:26:04 PM by Silo Graham » Logged

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:25:45 PM »

live game - £30 freeze

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »

hmm, I would have thought you were ahead.  The straight would have been a raise preflop wouldn't it?  Trip 10's maybe?

Live game, I'd have folded but would be wondering.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:29:42 PM »

Very difficult. If it's a weak field, I might be tempted to fold, but I'd probably call. He could easily have the bare Queen, a lower two pair or the flush draw, so there are more hands you have beat than are beaten by. If he has the straight, you can still outdraw him. I doubt he has trips as there was no pre-flop raise. At the same time, a double up will really set you in good stead.

I'm only really worried about K-J here.
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

given no preflop raise, i was worried he might have 9Q and have me on a flush draw.  I pondered for a while and went with Graham's option of folding and wondering.  I only get to play live once a month, so didn't really fancy only playing one hand.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:01:32 PM »

given no preflop raise, i was worried he might have 9Q and have me on a flush draw.  I pondered for a while and went with Graham's option of folding and wondering.  I only get to play live once a month, so didn't really fancy only playing one hand.

Like I said, there are so many hands you are beating compared to ones that you are losing, that I think you should call. Due to no flop raise, you should only be worried about two hands, Q-9 and K-J, and even one of them you can outdraw. On the flipside, you are beating any flush draw, J-T, bare Queen or bluff, which is a lot more than two hands.

I don't think there's a lot wrong in folding though, just not the option I would go with.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 04:28:02 PM »

call i think he has JT
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 04:39:16 PM »

One of the unfortunate quandries that comes with limping out of position with marginal hands - unless you flop a monster you are going to always have your doubts whether you are in front or not if faced with a large bet as you were in this instance.

indeed...which is why I bet the living daylights out of my King ten sooted (I love that hand)

BTW..both plays can be defended here, you don't want to go out early and therefore the fold is fine.

I would probably call as I would take oppo for an open ender or a pair with Ace kicker before I take him for the made straight.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 04:42:42 PM »

indeed...which is why I bet the living daylights out of my King ten sooted (I love that hand)

i'll take the fold preflop option as it falls into neither of my loved hands of unsooted diamonds or sooted aces

Yeah but you're a rock.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 05:36:22 PM »

Ok, honestly how many people would limp with KT/KJ from UTG on the first hand where u have no info on your opponents? 

If you have position any two can do, but without the position not many players will play those hands.

If you have  a read on the table then you can play more marginal hands as your post-flop skill should suffice, but so early in the tourney it is a good way of donating your stack to other players.

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »

I play it Cheesy

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 07:58:03 PM »

I play it Smiley

ROYAL FISH of course you would play it

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: