blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:12:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273545 Posts in 66762 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Dem Aces, an elderly gentleman and a paired board: A short story of pain.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dem Aces, an elderly gentleman and a paired board: A short story of pain.  (Read 5666 times)
Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 01:30:16 PM »

A lot of what is being said is true.

It's just that I find it difficult to realise straight away that the random old guy who just sat down with a bag at a deep £1/2 game is only a level 1 thinker...

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »

A lot of what is being said is true.

It's just that I find it difficult to realise straight away that the random old guy who just sat down with a bag at a deep £1/2 game is only a level 1 thinker...

id pretty much always assume this.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »

I think that assuming everyone over 50 who sits at a poker table is incapable of playing the game at 'your level' whatever that may be is a mistake.

(obviously I'm not claiming to be capable of playing anywhere near that level)

Also - you play for the longterm winrate, the random old guy who sits with 'a bag' may only play occasionally. His capacity to bluff is dependent on how he sees that money and the entertainment value he derives from the game. One of the local mega-rich (yes there are some in Teesside) used to occasionally have a sit at the cash tables and would very happily spunk off £5-600 with a variety of 3rd pair calls and bad bluffs. On seeing he was beaten he just smiled and said "nice hand, well done".
The point is, that when he first appeared at the table as a random, smartly dressed middle-aged man with a stack and started getting involved the young-uns all folded lots and the regulars who already knew his style just waited and called him off.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »

I think that assuming everyone over 50 who sits at a poker table is incapable of playing the game at 'your level' whatever that may be is a mistake.

Also - you play for the longterm winrate, the random old guy who sits with 'a bag' may only play occasionally. His capacity to bluff is dependent on how he sees that money and the entertainment value he derives from the game. One of the local mega-rich (yes there are some in Teesside) used to occasionally have a sit at the cash tables and would very happily spunk off £5-600 with a variety of 3rd pair calls and bad bluffs. On seeing he was beaten he just smiled and said "nice hand, well done".
The point is, that when he first appeared at the table as a random, smartly dressed middle-aged man with a stack and started getting involved the young-uns all folded lots and the regulars who already knew his style just waited and called him off.

Good post. I think he probably was bluffing, and well done to him, he owned me. It was the first time I'd played with him before and so I just had to go with my read at the time based on not very much. A few people commented at the time good fold but Mitch who'd played a fair amount with him said he'd never fold aces there. Similar to the gentleman you mentioned I suppose.

I wasn't assuming he was bad because he was over 50, it was based on what I'd seen that night. Calling off 110 with top pair when there was 4clubs there saying "I thought you probably had a club there mate and I was giving you 110quid" and paying people off a lot, limping then calling 3bets, loads of fishy stuff going on. I never saw him get really aggressive in a hand like he did here though, so I concluded he had it and folded. Oh well.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Mitch

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 04:13:50 PM »

A few people commented at the time good fold but Mitch who'd played a fair amount with him said he'd never fold DEM aces there.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »

A few people commented at the time good fold but Mitch who'd played a fair amount with him said he'd never fold DEM aces there.

Sigh, put a pound on the tab.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2011, 06:25:54 PM »

fold flop or dont fold at all v this guy.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »

I think assuming someone is on level 1 and looking for evidence they are not is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>assuming someone is good just because he sits down with a grand.

second paragraph i agree with Smiley

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »

Never assume because that's makes an ass of u & me ...

when you say you agree with the second paragraph do you mean you don't claim to be on that level too?

I think assuming someone is on level 1 and looking for evidence they are not is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>assuming someone is good just because he sits down with a grand.

second paragraph i agree with Smiley

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »

Lol, think he meant the final paragraph.

I'd assume the same as dave too, but would get flamed for saying it on here...

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »

haha yh sorry.

Yh I think assuming people are level 1 and looking for evidence they are not is better than thinking they might be the older, british phil galfond cos they will winning to put a bag down, second paragraph I cant comment because I have never seen you play + have a dangerously over-inflated opinion of myself lol and the final paragraph I think is very good and I agree with

Tongue

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »

Regretting my title of the thread now. If it had been utg 4b calling range vs a 33/23 lagtard I think Tikay would've swerved it...

In before he claims those are his favourite type of threads on the Oldies forum.  

Correct, I would have swerved it because I don't have a clue what "utg 4b calling range vs a 33/23 lagtard" even means. Old people don't bother with that stuff, which is why we they are all crap.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »

Regretting my title of the thread now. If it had been utg 4b calling range vs a 33/23 lagtard I think Tikay would've swerved it...

In before he claims those are his favourite type of threads on the Oldies forum.  

Correct, I would have swerved it because I don't have a clue what "utg 4b calling range vs a 33/23 lagtard" even means. Old people don't bother with that stuff, which is why we they are all crap.....

I dont really know what that means.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: