blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 06:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272881 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Limit Omaha Discussion
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Limit Omaha Discussion  (Read 1388 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »

Is it possible to get a player off any sort of drawing hand in limit Omaha?

I've just been playing a small tourney and without going into any detail in all the hands I seemed to get outdrawn on every hand I played for either the whole pot or for half when some players where catching with muck.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:45:29 PM »

no
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 10:02:46 PM »

interesting discussion, some good cases built by all sides, more of this stuff please.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 10:05:26 PM »

interesting discussion, some good cases built by all sides, more of this stuff please.

especially thought provoking contributions like the one quoted, very insightful indeed.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

Well sorry but sometimes the truth hurts
ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 10:21:22 PM »

I've just been playing a small tourney and without going into any detail in all the hands I seemed to get outdrawn on every hand I played for either the whole pot or for half when some players where catching with muck.

Only when the blinds get larger and the field smaller, as the field gets smaller the better the players left in and the easier to push people off draws.
Usually check raising is best on a flop rather than letting them see the turn for a single bet.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Enzyme_

Poker Face >.<

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:09:42 PM »

Only when the blinds get larger and the field smaller, as the field gets smaller the better the players left in and the easier to push people off draws.
Usually check raising is best on a flop rather than letting them see the turn for a single bet.

Id need to agree plus you find alot of your limit Omaha games are Hi/Lo so it can be awful for the beginning stage tho as the field thins out you see some people fold their draws!

Try playing cash games of it!

2 Fins off a Fish!
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:14:16 PM »

Its hard to spot but he's referring to Omaha Hi/Lo (there's a reference to playing for half the pot).

Limit Omaha Hi Only is about as futile a game as there is ever likely to be.  If you see a flop then you are probably getting odds to see the river!  Thankfully, its never caught on in this format.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
ifm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »

Its hard to spot but he's referring to Omaha Hi/Lo (there's a reference to playing for half the pot).

I did think that initially but then discounted it because you slplit pots in hi, and no mention of quartered pots Cheesy

Of course not.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 03:44:23 PM »

Yes, but if they're 'catching with muck' and splitting pots with him then he must be playing similar muck to them!

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Enzyme_

Poker Face >.<

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 04:07:48 PM »

Yes, but if they're 'catching with muck' and splitting pots with him then he must be playing similar muck to them!

Sounds like bandit!

2 Fins off a Fish!
totalise

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 07:15:11 AM »

one of the problems with limit poker in general is that your equity will come from preflop decisions, because post flop your oppo;s wont be making much (if any) of a mistake to call you down, and naturally if thats the case, you frequently wont reap the rewards of your brilliance in the short term. Its why they say limit has more variance. Just keep ensuring they make the big mistakes preflop, and then punish the smaler mistakes post flop. You will be ok in the long run.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »

one of the problems with limit poker in general is that your equity will come from preflop decisions, because post flop your oppo;s wont be making much (if any) of a mistake to call you down, and naturally if thats the case, you frequently wont reap the rewards of your brilliance in the short term. Its why they say limit has more variance. Just keep ensuring they make the big mistakes preflop, and then punish the smaler mistakes post flop. You will be ok in the long run.

In limit HE tournaments the most powerful move is 3 betting pre-flop.  If you are lucky enough to have a LAG player on your right 3 bet liberally.  Conversely raising limpers with medium pairs and big aces isn't a great move in limit tournaments because the blinds will call along with the limpers creating a big pot that will give everyone the odds to chase if you hit and oblige you to put further valuable tournament chips into the pot when you miss.   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: