blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272825 Posts in 66757 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Help with my Home Game
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with my Home Game  (Read 823 times)
Triple X

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:59:11 PM »

I play a few different home games - ranging from £10 buy ins to £100.

The bigger ones are with players that take it quite seriously like me, but I also do a £10 rebuy for some of my non-poker playing mates who quite enjoy a monthly get together but dont know what pot-odds and gap concept are but still like the idea of a game.  I organise it as they are my mates but you can imagine that it isnt great poker and it drives me mad a bit.

The truth is i quite enjoy the get together and have the best record.  Problem is that in the re-buy period we have lost a couple of loose players lately and so the pot has come down to a really low level which make it a really boring game.  The last game we had 8 and there were only 3 rebuys (2 from me) so the pot ended up at c. £200 - it realy ought to be nearer £300.  Problem is some are happy to do this, but they get chipped up really early and therefore dont need to rebuy

We usually play 9 handed and rebuys for 1 hour.  You get 300 chips on 5-10 blinds and start the freezeout on 20-40.  You are allowed 3 rebuys and 1 add-ons so could do £50.

These are my thoughts to get more money in the pot - does anyone else have a better idea or some thoughts on this.  With 9 players - I really dont want the pot being less than £270.

1. A straight £25 or £30 freezeout.  No rebuys, no add-ons.  However if your Aces get cracked first hand then you are out.  Advantage is that we know what is in the pot – ie £225 - £270 for 9 players and it will finish earlier.  Disadvantage is for some, it may be a short game.
A double chance freezeout. £15 buy in.  If you lose your money at any time in the first say 1 hour, you get a second chance for £15.  Otherwise at 2. 1 hour if you never lost your chips, you can buy your additional chips then.
3. Same as before. £10 buy – and £10 rebuys but make them for more chips say – 400 or 450 instead of 300, to encourage some risk – taking in the 1st hour.
4. Same as before but instead of making the re-buys at 150 chips or less make them at 225 chips or less.

Thanks guys
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 01:06:10 PM »

my advice it dont mess about with it. as I've becom more serious about my poker over the years I've tinkered with my home game and many of my original poker buddys dont come anymore. keep a seperate game for them and seperate in your mind fron 'real' poker.
Triple X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 01:18:23 PM »

yeah - good point Adam see what u mean.

Most of the players are prepared to spend say £30 but either cant coz they have too many chips or just are not risky enough.

So it really is a way of getting around that problem.  Most of us are disappointed with the pot lately
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »

you could try having a couple of freezeouts STTs followed by cash game
say £10 STTs 1st £60 2nd £30
then 10p/20p NL cash £10 sit down / reload
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:22:04 PM by AdamM » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: