blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 02:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272920 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Playing for yourself vs getting staked
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Playing for yourself vs getting staked  (Read 3860 times)
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »

None taken, no probs.

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »

so, simon,i got a 100k wsop schedule, in?

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »

Prett y sure I answered you in a previous post Alex Wink

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »

I'll take it.

Simon, you got a spare 1er knocking about, I'm good for it.

pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »

Thread did help a lot, thanks simon especially for good reply.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »

Incidentals 30k
XS 25k
OG 25k
Pure 10k
Cut 5k
Sushi Samba 5k

Breakdown for transparency

Somewhere close?

dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »

I think it depends on the person in question, I know that I tend to have a lot more discipline when staked regular, and it was prob the worst decision I made to play for myself, as I tilt too easily and jump into higher games.

If your level headed and able to control your emotions, then I would say, playing for yourself is a much better option.

GL
LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:27 PM »

Reason I got staked is because a ~400 abi swing would be v significant and i'd have to drop majors and buy ins to prevent it becoming unmanageable. I don't know if it would effect my play playing on my own money but being backed I can say being through multiple 200 bi swings (thankfully haven't been anywhere close to the limits with my avg field size) that it doesn't effect my play, and the incentive to clear MU is a good one.

Another major reason for me getting backed was the doors it opened/inevitable improvement in my game. At any one time in Skype chat there are multiple HS regs talking/giving advice on hands. As it's a large stable consisting 75% of midstakes regs there are always people going over hand histories/talking strat, and the 'banter' can be a break from grinding alone. - Fun to rail others and be railed when on final tables and short of tables yourself, instant advice on hands/share notes on players at the table.

I also like being a part of a group and having "limits" as to what I can play, stops me from tilt regging the sunday 5 or playing games I'm -ev in. Being surrounded by players so much better than yourself just shows you how much you can and need to improve.

For me at the moment it doesn't make sense to play on my own as I still have huge amounts of room to improve with all of the free coaching available. It would cost $300 to get a hand history reviewed by anyone of the guys working in the stable and more if I wanted to discuss it over a skype call.

I think that's where some people go wrong as a stakee - if your backer is providing you with funds and a 50/50 MU deal and nothing else you should be looking for a better deal, because if you are +EV in the games you play you'll be able to get one.

/life story over

Depends on what you want/need from the backing, if you can afford to weather the swings and can play your A game going through them then play on your own.

See if you can get a staking deal for Sunday MTTs and play cash the rest of the week. Or play the Sunday MTTs off of your own roll whilst selling % would seem like a good idea
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 09:55:24 PM »

Thanks for all advice in the thread. I think there are CDC good reasons for both being backed and I think that if you are backed it should be with somebody that you know or know of quite well and when backing you should get multiple vouches on potential horses.

I sent a few messages out for mtt backing with the intention of a lot of coaching involved and plugging any leaks I may have.

Was very undecided if that was the way I wanted to go forward so once again thanks for advice itt.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »

Incidentals 30k
XS 25k
OG 25k
Pure 10k
Cut 5k
Sushi Samba 5k

Somewhere close?

Surely going to go to xs more than once?

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

Incidentals 30k
XS 25k
OG 25k
Pure 10k
Cut 5k
Sushi Samba 5k

Somewhere close?

Surely going to go to xs more than once?

Yh and who's he chopping the sushi samba bill with?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: