blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272582 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Views on this hand please (The dreaded AA!)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Views on this hand please (The dreaded AA!)  (Read 1161 times)
Ricardov83

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2006, 05:40:40 PM »

This is the first hand history i have posted so I apologise for any amateurish errors in advance.

The table is quite loose with 3/4 people in every hand and I am playing tight for maybe 2 hours when this hand occurs.  I am interested in potential holdings of the opponent and any glaringly obvious mistakes I make.  The check on the turn was a big mistake I think.  I am 'quasirazor'.

PokerStars Game #5430411960:  Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2006/07/02 -
12:02:03 (ET)a
Table 'Aetolia' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: nutzeedog ($44.25 in chips)
Seat 2: 11 cents ($63.30 in chips)
Seat 3: mkdyer ($30 in chips)
Seat 4: RobbieV ($47.25 in chips)
Seat 5: quasirazor ($105.20 in chips)
Seat 6: xxTHEROOMxx ($47.75 in chips)
Seat 7: Sauchie ($51.70 in chips)
Seat 8: Shaz Pur ($85.25 in chips)
11 cents: posts small blind $0.25
mkdyer: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to quasirazor [ ]
RobbieV: folds
quasirazor: raises $1.50 to $2
xxTHEROOMxx: folds
Sauchie: calls $2
Shaz Pur: folds
nutzeedog: calls $2
11 cents: folds
mkdyer: folds
*** FLOP *** [ ]
quasirazor: bets $5
Sauchie: raises $5 to $10
nutzeedog: folds
quasirazor: raises $6 to $16
Sauchie: calls $6
*** TURN *** [ ] []
quasirazor: checks
Sauchie: bets $12
quasirazor said, "AA"
quasirazor: folds
Sauchie collected $36.85 from pot

Any help would be very well received with thanks!
Opponents holding will be posted after I get a few responses.
IveGotOuts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »

I like the way you re-raise on the flop but you did not re-raise enough.

$6 more into a pot of ~ $30 is giving him far too good odds to call. There isnt any possible holding that he should lay down to that raise. So because of that you dont really know what he is calling with on the flop.

Your only source of information about his hand comes from his min-raise on the flop. In my experience a lot of players min-raise on the flop with a made hand eg TJ here but so do many with top pair. I think given this you were right to check/fold the turn.

In summation, the major mistake you make though is too small a raise on the flop. A decent raise makes him fold top pair and ends the hand there and then. And if he calls a big raise you can assume you are beat and check/fold the turn.
Jinky04

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 08:31:35 PM »

and don't tell him what you packed!
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 09:57:50 PM »

Funnily enough my question read out on Pokerzone on Friday night was on the subject of pocket aces.
I had pocket aces and made a nominal raise, everyone folded and all i won was the sb and bb. I was a bit miffed that I hadn't won more and questioned whether I could have done anything different ie flat call. The answer was that i had played correctly and just be grateful that I had made the blinds.
Lated in the same tournament a player limped in with pocket aces and then went all in after the river when the board hadn't helped him at all and promptly went out. They then referred back to my earlier example that this shows what could have happened if I had limped in and anyone could beat me post flop eg getting two pairs.

As for your hand, why fold I would have seen this to the end, why assume that he has a Queen? If you are wrong you are alive with over $50.
Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:52:10 AM »

I don't like the re-raise. It is that small that it gives too much information away and it is forcing you to play a pot on the turn for more than you could. You are either well ahead (in which case let him do the betting into you) or massively behind and need to keep the pot as small as possible. As you give information away he knows that you will have AA, KK, Qx, JT. If his holding can eliminate some of these possibilities, then he will be pretty sure where he is in the pot. After the Q on the turn, i think you are usually beat, any Q, JT, Q9, 99, 88 etc. Had you not reraised, his bet on the turn would be less and you will have the option to call if you are unsure where you are and assess on the river.

I have often seen people min raising in his situation to control the pot, admittedly at higher levels. I think this is an advanced play personally. In other words he can part with a further $5 on the flop to almost ensure that you will check the turn, unless you have a monster. Whereas if he calls your raise (rather than re-raising), then your subsequent bet on the turn will be much higher than $5 and ultimately cost him more.

It is wiser to let people think you are a fool, than open open your mouth and remove all doubt.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

I echo the above. The reraise is a good play but its far too low.
Ricardov83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

Thanks for the help.  He had KK by the way.  I was crushing him.  Hence my computer ended up in the back garden along with my morale!  Good tips allcheers.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: