blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 10:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273126 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Deals
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deals  (Read 5345 times)
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 10:56:46 AM »

Surely they could renegotiate the prizes for 2nd and 3rd and then play on to see who gets them?

I can't see a situation where i'd want to take a deal where 1st place doesn't have to give up any money.

If you do a deal in Glasgow, you don't play on. That's the way its always been, thats the way it will always be. And this three prizes pish really pisses me off an all. In my mind, if there are 100 runners there should be 10 prizes. 30 runners, 3 prizes. In this situation they where already down to the last 3, so in my mind, NO DEAL. Take your chances, and if you don't double up, the chances are that you and your mate will split it anyway (without actually saying so, so without actually cheating).

I was in Cincinnati on Wednesday waiting for the cash game after crashing out in flames at the Riverboat, couldn't be arsed waiting any longer and left. Wish I had carried on watchin now Smiley
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 11:30:35 AM »

I was in Cincinnati on Wednesday waiting for the cash game after crashing out in flames at the Riverboat, couldn't be arsed waiting any longer and left. Wish I had carried on watchin now Smiley

Well if you see me in there come up and say hello - unfortunately I look quite like the cariacture in my avatar  Grin. We can argue who said Bevvy first, the scousers or the Scots  Grin

Re the deal, other considerations were it was 2am on a school night, (WHY can't we get earlier starts on a school night in Glasgow?). Dave was driving & Teacake was with him, so we were keeping him back (not that he'd mind, but still), and I was just relieved at making the money after being short-stack for practically the whole final table.

Re ganging up on the chip leader, Teacake & I are too competitive to help eachother (as witnessed by his slowplaying a straight to me in the early stages & causing a buy-in  Angry ). Also I agree it would be cheating & I'm pretty sure it would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »

IMO

in a deal situation you should always work out what you would be likely to win should the game pan out the way you think it will given the players left and the status and pattern of the game.  if you feel like you have the chips to press home an advantage and win the comp then do so.  if you are a low stack and feel you are a little outclassed and out muscled then a deal is probably best for you but anything can happen late in a tourney when the blinds are large so i am always reluctant to deal unless i am getting a big chunk more than the minimum. 

The best and fairest way to do a deal is just ask the card room manager to give you a rough calculation of what a chip count deal would leave you with - as this is usually the fairest way to do a deal.  Never accept a deal unless you have got it clear in your head and make sure you are happy with it. - I have seen the nicest men in the world turn in to proper horrible nasty fellas when a deal is being discussed.

If the card rooms flattened the structurs a bit more and didn't shove the blinds up so fast and so much then deals would be less popular or necessarry.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2005, 12:46:38 PM »

Which are you then? Cheesy
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 12:49:14 PM »

I'm behind you.... on the other table at that point.

Was player to the dealers right on the final table. Bald bloke in a St Pauli (Skull & Crossbones) T-shirt.

mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 01:01:10 PM »

Okay, how about this one then.

patman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 01:20:54 PM »

suspect rod is the guy standing up inymca fashion on right at back with gery tee shirt

i also suspect guy on left at bottom of stairs wearing denim is dave and the guy on the right of the stairs head down passing the lasd is teacake all posters on here
patman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 01:23:35 PM »

suspect rod is the guy standing up inymca fashion on right at back with gery tee shirt

i also suspect guy on left at bottom of stairs wearing denim is dave and the guy on the right of the stairs head down passing the lasd is teacake all posters on here

I also suspect i should learn to type.... Grin, nice pictures by the way as i have not had the chance to get in yet!
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »

Nope - that aint me... Mikky you've managed to miss me both times  Grin

Think you're right about the other 2.

Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2005, 02:27:33 PM »

Okay, how about this one then.

oh yes, that is me at the left of the stairs and Teacake at the right of the stairs, at the first break!

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2005, 02:40:15 PM »

oh yes, that is me at the left of the stairs and Teacake at the right of the stairs, at the first break!

I'll be at the bog then  Grin

ariston

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 03:00:40 PM »

I have only just read this thread (how did I miss it?) and find a couple of points quite disturbing. Firstly you should never deal without the first place man giving up some money, if you aren't confident of turning round a chip defecit the you shouldn't be playing. You are guaranteed a nice profit anyway so take your shot at a big payday. Strange things can happen at the end of tournaments- Gary Bush once lost heads up after having a 74-1 chip lead (it was a big tournament and a lot of money was involved).
The most disgusting part of the thread is the suggestion that 2 players collude to try and gang up on the player. Its amazing whats said in gents toilets?? If this suggestion was made to me anywhere I would tell the person he is a lowlife cheat and never associate with him again. Many people who play the circuit swap percentages with each other- does that mean we soft play each other? It certainly does not. Any suggestion of soft play/collusion should be dealt with immediately by the card room manager/tournament director. This year I have knocked many good friends out of competitions (probably cost myself money in some people eyes because of loss of percentages) but that is the nature of the game. If you bump heads with me in a comp I dont care wether we have traded 5% 10% 50% or whatever I will still take you out at the first opportunity and blondites will vouch for this, anything less would ammount to cheating and thats something no ammount of money would make me do.
End of rant.
Rant over.

ariston

better lucky than good
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 03:09:08 PM »

Ariston is right! - he is so committed to not colluding that he often makes moves that take himself out of comps quick as a flash  Cheesy Cheesy.

nice post russ
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2005, 03:18:28 PM »

i agree with russ on the colluding front

now for the deal part russ what you would want from this deal if you were CL and what would you want if you were 2nd or 3rd

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2005, 03:21:26 PM »

I have only just read this thread (how did I miss it?) and find a couple of points quite disturbing. Firstly you should never deal without the first place man giving up some money, if you aren't confident of turning round a chip defecit the you shouldn't be playing. You are guaranteed a nice profit anyway so take your shot at a big payday. Strange things can happen at the end of tournaments- Gary Bush once lost heads up after having a 74-1 chip lead (it was a big tournament and a lot of money was involved).
The most disgusting part of the thread is the suggestion that 2 players collude to try and gang up on the player. Its amazing whats said in gents toilets?? If this suggestion was made to me anywhere I would tell the person he is a lowlife cheat and never associate with him again. Many people who play the circuit swap percentages with each other- does that mean we soft play each other? It certainly does not. Any suggestion of soft play/collusion should be dealt with immediately by the card room manager/tournament director. This year I have knocked many good friends out of competitions (probably cost myself money in some people eyes because of loss of percentages) but that is the nature of the game. If you bump heads with me in a comp I dont care wether we have traded 5% 10% 50% or whatever I will still take you out at the first opportunity and blondites will vouch for this, anything less would ammount to cheating and thats something no ammount of money would make me do.
End of rant.
Rant over.

We'll need to write off letting the chip leader away with the full prize to experience.... Newbies & learning.

Also from my posts above :
Re ganging up on the chip leader, Teacake & I are too competitive to help eachother (as witnessed by his slowplaying a straight to me in the early stages & causing a buy-in   ). Also I agree it would be cheating & I'm pretty sure it would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

It's not something we'd a) do b) want to be party to. We actually commented earlier about being a bit worried how everyone seemed to know eachother (I was sitting next to 2 brothers) & we both were concerned about it. But they all played hard against everyone & we were delighted with that. The point of playing (for me anyway) is that I enjoy the game - cheating would take the fun out of it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: