blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:53:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Launch of the Amateur Poker Association & Tour (APAT)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 ... 68 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Launch of the Amateur Poker Association & Tour (APAT)  (Read 131367 times)
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 03, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »

Sorry, your post offends me on so many levels I really cant be arsed to respond any more.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2006, 08:11:11 PM »

...simple solution. on the registration form you should be asked for your employment details.if you are self employed you should be asked if the self employment provides a greater anual income than the poker.
if you cannot enter employment details but feel you are not a pro you should be able to write in appeal to the APAT

The example of Rob Yong was used. anyone who's played against him knows he's a very good player indeed. he's not under any finacial pressure when playing for £75 and unless you get lucky, there are plenty of people on this forum who are in big trouble against a player like him. He's definitely an amature by every criteria you can come up with but is a strong enough player that he can compete in WSOP / EPT / WPT events and have a serious shot. some people seem to be suggesting someone like him should declare their previous 12 months winnings. with respect, thats none of anyones business but him and his accountant and the idea that a potential player should be scrutinised to that extend is daft.

The only income details that have been suggested to be used are tournament winnings - and these are in the public domain.

This seems to be significantly less intrusive then asking for their employment details and whether they earn more from any self employment than poker!

The field for this event should be strong and in no way would I suggest that it should just be a shoal of fish, but as has been mentioned previously, 'A line must be drawn somewhere', so that it truly represents an opportunity for the grassroots player encouraged to enter a (for them) big tournament.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2006, 08:14:44 PM »

If you are 18 - 65, have no full time job and are signing on you can't afford to enter the tourney.   
if you are signing on and you DO have a big enough bankroll to play you are a benefit cheat and still a pro.
(this one I don't like but unfortunately it seems logical) if you are a home maker, a student or retired and are funding your

Don't talk shite.

Because you are signing on automatically means you can't afford to enter the tourney? What planet is that you are from? I just won't eat for a week. Else I'll use my megre (declared) bankroll for doing so. Or I'll tap my dad for £100.

Don't make sweeping generalisations please.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:17:43 PM by mikkyT » Logged
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »

Sorry, your post offends me on so many levels I really cant be arsed to respond any more.

Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »

Oh My Goodness, 7 pages on and were still talking about the definition of a pro.  Why not just wait for an official response?

Ginger
Queen of Purple

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »

with the student/homemaker/retired thing I started the other way round, from the basis they're amature but I thought about the financial level we're talking about. if you are a home maker or student then playing a £30 comp every now and again is fine. if you can afford a two day £75 comp with accomidation, you're probably earning enough from poker that you should be considered a pro. maybe not, ofcourse many homemakers and students have parttime jobs they could easily use the money from to pay for comps like this. so forget the student / homemaker / retired stuff OK? provide employment details on the application form?

OK smarty pants, you just described me in the above scenario (apart from the retired bit) and I am under no illusions that I am an amateur and NOT a pro!

I have no part time job as simply it would be impossible for me to have one in my situation, and I earn all my money from april/may - sept/oct from poker. This still however does NOT make me a pro! It means I get by, that's all, nothing more nothing less.

“Half a truth is often a great lie.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #546 on: August 03, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »

Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: August 03, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »

So I've been lurking without voicing my opinions so farTo be honest I dont give a flying hoot if a "Pro" joins and plays. Hell ill play 5 pros if im getting a $150 satelitte with 120 runners for a prize pool and an added EPT/WSOP/WPT seat. The beauty of Poker is anyone can beat anyone at anytime pretty much.

I really don't know where all this negativty is coming from. The founders have set it up like this none of the haters bothered to get off there arse and set up an amatuer association so who are they to complain.

I signed up within 5 minutes of the post by TightEnd ( Im hoping I get a low membership number for this) and don't really care if all I get is the chance to register for these tournies £10 for anyone who can afford to GAMBLE is pennies.

Good luck to APAT hopefully I can sneak my mouse into clicking my way into Birmingham and if I do I hope to see you all there.
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: August 03, 2006, 08:26:14 PM »

quote from adam m
"what Im saying is if you're signing on but are able to support yourself through poker money, you shouldnt be signing on. to claim job seekers allowance you have to be actively seeking full time employment. that's a different debate though".

just cos you claim jobseekers but play poker does that mean your not seeking full time employment???

a full time job is 40 hours a week but if you have not got one you must spend every waking moment seeking one? is that what your saying?

man you talk bull! Cheesy

byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 03, 2006, 08:28:55 PM »

I think I'll get into drug dealing, it gives me a legitimate job so they'll be no doubt that I'm a proper amateur AND It will give me a bankroll. W00T.

Now I just need some customers. hmm people in the entertainment industry like a bit of charlie now don't they. I've seen lots of TV stars in The News of the World getting exposed for being druggies, who do I know who's on telly...

TIKAY MY OLD MATE, CHECK YOUR PM'S PLEASE

Cool
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 03, 2006, 08:33:24 PM »

So I've been lurking without voicing my opinions so farTo be honest I dont give a flying hoot if a "Pro" joins and plays. Hell ill play 5 pros if im getting a $150 satelitte with 120 runners for a prize pool and an added EPT/WSOP/WPT seat. The beauty of Poker is anyone can beat anyone at anytime pretty much.

I really don't know where all this negativty is coming from. The founders have set it up like this none of the haters bothered to get off there arse and set up an amatuer association so who are they to complain.

I signed up within 5 minutes of the post by TightEnd ( Im hoping I get a low membership number for this) and don't really care if all I get is the chance to register for these tournies £10 for anyone who can afford to GAMBLE is pennies.

Good luck to APAT hopefully I can sneak my mouse into clicking my way into Birmingham and if I do I hope to see you all there.

..APAT is aimed squarely at the recreational player, possibly moving for the first time into a live environment...

There is nothing wrong per se with tournaments of this structure where amateurs could play against pros, but the stated aims of the APAT are to represent grass roots players. If this tour ends up being dominated by the middle tier of poker players this will force out the purely recreational player who it has been stated that it is aimed at - and this will happen if it was just left to market forces to decide.

It's not negativity it's striving for clarity in a healthy, structured debate which we hope can only aid those in the decision making process.   Cool

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 03, 2006, 08:40:38 PM »

Wow Jon, 40% of your posts on this forum are in this thread.

Is it something you feel strongly about? Cheesy

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 03, 2006, 08:42:27 PM »

Wow Jon, 40% of your total amount of posts on this forum are in this thread.

Is it something you feel strongly about? Cheesy

You picked up on that?  Cheesy

I only really registered on Blonde to see Jen's photo's on the live updates.  Cool

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
mikee_j

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 03, 2006, 08:42:46 PM »

i don't mind either, if it wasn't a tour for 'amateurs'. the point of APAT is to represent amateur players and create festival style tournaments for hobby/recreational players. By allowing pros to play goes against the point of APAT!?

betfair: -Mikee-J-  fulltilt: MrMikeeJ
pokerstars: chelsea_1994
Suited_Jock

i-reraise.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: August 03, 2006, 08:48:31 PM »

What Im trying to get at is you cannot police who is a Pro and who isnt.

If someone makes a living from poker through cash games even a comfortable living at the higher stakes does not mean they can play an MTT better than a recreational player who solely places MTT's.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 ... 68 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: