blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 12:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272966 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  uk on critical alert
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: uk on critical alert  (Read 19606 times)
Indestructable

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2006, 06:35:31 PM »

I know the DNA thing is probably a bit off the track for the start of the thread, but I agree with a DNA register. How many rapes and murders could be prevented by having this information available? I know there will be the anti freedom lovies that will be against it, but the ones that would really lose are the wrong doers.
Going back to todays events, just thankful that the incidents have been prevented. Trouble is that terrorists normally want something that they know they can't have which makes negotiation a pointless exercise.
ariston

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2006, 06:35:56 PM »

If they had your dna on file red they could issue you with another one easily enough. Why not have everybodies DNA on file? I would love to hear a realistic argument against this. Rapists, burglers etc could be identified immediately and law abiding citizens would have nothing to lose.

ariston

better lucky than good
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »

I know the DNA thing is probably a bit off the track for the start of the thread, but I agree with a DNA register. How many rapes and murders could be prevented by having this information available? I know there will be the anti freedom lovies that will be against it, but the ones that would really lose are the wrong doers.
Going back to todays events, just thankful that the incidents have been prevented. Trouble is that terrorists normally want something that they know they can't have which makes negotiation a pointless exercise.

when you are born the government cant tell if your going to be criminally minded or not so when technology allows maybe the government can implant chips in our brains at birth that track our movements, just to keep an eye on those that become criminals later on in life of course!!!! Wink
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:41:19 PM by bolt pp » Logged
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »

I would love to hear a realistic argument against this.

We start life with basic freedoms that mean WE dont have to argue against the idea, YOU  have to argue for it!!!!
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2006, 06:44:07 PM »

LOL i dont think so ...   

Seriously though imagine a database of evryones dna.... it would certainly speed up the crimes solved rate, and act as a detterent to future criminals.

ID cards are surely just around the corner, and i welcome them.

I would genuinely like to listen to anyone who is opposed to ID cards and hear their reasons why.

If I have to apply for an ID card, I'd have to use my driving license or passport to get it, meaning that that one of the latters was a perfectly good form of ID in the first place. If I already have a reliable form of ID then why do I need an ID Card? If I don't have any reliable ID then how can my ID Card be reliable?

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2006, 06:47:37 PM »

Does anyone know if you can take laptops as hand luggage, flying FROM USA TO UK?!?!

Not sure, but really do not want to put it in the normal luggage.
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2006, 06:50:43 PM »

Does anyone know if you can take laptops as hand luggage, flying FROM USA TO UK?!?!

doubt you can mate.

certainly cant the other way at the moment

thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »

LOL i dont think so ...   

Seriously though imagine a database of evryones dna.... it would certainly speed up the crimes solved rate, and act as a detterent to future criminals.

I would genuinely like to listen to anyone who is opposed to ID cards and hear their reasons why.

Wow Kev, I didn't think anybody would run with my tongue and cheek comment. Let's just say the car journey to BB3 might be interesting if we get onto this subject  Shocked. Personally I'd prefer to talk about pokergirlie  Grin

Why don't we hold details of our medical history on the proposed ID cards. Do we then present these upon request to a future employer for them to determine if you are suitable for employment based on your medical history. Maybe the future employer will make a decision based on your families medical history.

ID cards operate in Spain but didn't stop the Mardid bombings. Are illegals going to carry such cards, will the underworld not just learn to forge them. The benefits being claimed by the government are questionable at best and many have been shown to be false, that's one reason why the introduction of ID cards are being put on hold even by our totalitarian new labour government. Guess they are wanting for the public's fears to increase so they can then crowbar them into public domain, roll on another 9/11 or 7/7 or even a government created state of fear such as the planned Cuban ship bombing.  

ID cards work out to be nothing more than yet another stealth tax. For starters many people can't afford the true cost of the proposed card which some have suggested could be as much as £100 per person. Thats potentially £400 for the average family. Let's force people into the povety trap or maybe imprision them for falling to purchase a card. Some may be able to afford them but many can't. Anyway any quick cost to benefit analysis shows these proposed ID cards to be of little or no value.

Will ID help protect us is questionable, will they impose on our civil liberties, most defintetly. Fear factor is not good enough reason for me for the introduction of yet another government control tool.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2006, 06:53:57 PM »

LOL i dont think so ...   

If I have to apply for an ID card, I'd have to use my driving license or passport to get it, meaning that that one of the latters was a perfectly good form of ID in the first place. If I already have a reliable form of ID then why do I need an ID Card? If I don't have any reliable ID then how can my ID Card be reliable?

It is also shown that the biometric identification won't work effectively (I think the figure was about 60% accuracy at best). And that every organisation involved in the areas which the ID card is meant to help with all agree that the ID card won't make any difference, (immigration, terrorism, organised crime etc.)

My fundamental objection to the ID cards is that I am a British Citizen - just because I am - I don't think the government has the right to say you effectively have to pay to become a citizen. The Roman Empire had a distinction between a citizen and a non-citizen, I would hope we've moved on a bit since then.

On a practical level some figures have been suggested that it might cost individuals up to a couple of hundred pounds to get one, I can't really afford to spend a couple of hundred pounds on something which isn't a necessity - and for the reasons I've put above, I don't think ID cards are a neccesity.

Good post Diceman, just read as I posted this.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2006, 06:56:27 PM »

its not a goverment control tool, its a joke.

How you gonna MAKE someone get an i.d card, put them in prison till they agree, then how you gonna make sure they carry them about their person, even then what difference will it make.

BTW you have to PAY for it aswell LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »

Are we not in danger in creating a state were you are no longer innocent until proven guilty but guilty until you prove your innocent. The problem is if you assume the worst from a society it is easier for the members of that society to live to those expections. Do we not already see this in the downfall of many young adolescent males who elect to rebel against society and live up to it's negative preconceptions. Naturally most of us grow out of this but it looks like people what to tarnish others for life for the most minor of crimes.

If this is the case the future looks bleak.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:13:15 PM by thediceman » Logged

The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2006, 07:03:13 PM »

Paul, from what I saw on the news about what's going on in US airports you are better off putting it in your normal luggage.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »

but it looks like people what to tarnish others for life for the most minor of crimes.

If this is the cause the future looks bleak.

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »

Pay $4 and get your case wrapped in plastic so the contents are less likely to get nicked.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2006, 07:16:37 PM »

Tx everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: