blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 05:40:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Newbie..
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie..  (Read 2626 times)
Jim-D

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 09:31:08 PM »

i would, i make big laydowns

True, Seen it with my own eyes.

Welcome 
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 09:35:51 PM »

my reply was especially for flushy, the mug

Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »

my reply was especially for flushy, the mug

You would pass AA on a board scared that might make a house!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Jonboy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48:44 PM »

Hi guys,

Been reading this forum for a while now and decided to join up. I've been playing for a while online and thought that it was time to spread my wings a little. I've noticed the good advice available here so thought i'd take a plunge - any adivce appreciated...

Cash game $2/$5  - $94.31 behind.
Six Handed
Position: UTG 

I raise $22 to go..
Folds to blinds who both flat call...

Flop  comes   

SB checks, BB bets $35 - I flat call with the intention of taking him off the hand on fourth street..SB folds

Turn brings 
BB checks i move all in he calls...
River     my pay day card...or so i thought... he reveals pocket jacks. Gutted, i had built up my bankroll with care and i lose it after i hit the out i needed.

Any advice on where i went wrong and where i can play low levels to re-build my roll - thanks in advance.

I still think this is a wind up ... but here is 50p's worth ... on what is a well thought out joke post (if I am wrong, welcome to blonde and there is plenty of help/support on this site to assist you).

1.) $94 on a $2/$5 table is a short stack on tables that normally average $500+ stack. The quote 'Gutted, I built my bankroll with care ...' is pure genius

2.) Short stacked play has its play in poker and can be used to good effect at medium/high buy-ins. If you want an extreme example look at the link in the 'entertaining blog ...' thread started by nemesis (I think?). Personally, my poker is based around deepstack play ... but I accept that some people make a decent amount with 'hit & run' tactics.

3.) 'stealing' the blinds is a more profitable pursuit for short stacked play in terms of ROI% ... but a raise from under the gun with five people yet to act with 78os is just suicide in the long term.

4.) When both blinds call you should figure you are in trouble ... but at least you have position!?

5.) The $35 bet by the BB leaves you with three options;

Fold: You should

All-in: Suicide ... this leaves you at best four outs ... the BB is v.unlikely to fold to a $35 re-raise into what becomes a $170 pot. Also the SB may have checked a monster and become involved.

Call: How you think you can call and then scare him off with a $35ish all-in on the turn I don't know.

A.) If he is drawing he has odds to call to the flush or str8

B.) if he has AK etc. and suspects he is behind ... it is a value call, only having to be right one time in approx. five to break even

The size of the bets, eventual pot size and odds for calling/drawing make this an excellently conceived wind-up ... I hope!!? Cheesy
In Form

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 11:03:46 AM »

ROI?Huh?

tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 11:19:24 AM »

ROI- return on investment- ratio of money lost or returned on investment.

If you have $100 and won $50 your ROI will be +50% if you lose $50 your ROI will be -50%

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: