blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  My D-Day has arrived...advise please
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My D-Day has arrived...advise please  (Read 5196 times)
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »

suz,  i'm pretty sure you can turn off the 'best hand' thing on blonde in your options.  Don't quote me on that though coz I've not tried it!

I am a bit of a dozy git,  where is the best hand thing?   I hadn't actually noticed there was one  Cheesy
scottm

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2006, 06:19:28 PM »

Looks like I will be giving the $5 extended a miss for a while  Cheesy

Good !!!!!

.... cos I'm fed up getting      by you !!

Or Hoollied as its came to be known  Grin  Cool
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »

Playing omaha is also something that I want to try and I did think about trying it on play money but I originally learned to play hold 'em on play money and found that when I moved on to real money it was a TOTALLY different game so perhaps I will try it playing low stakes. Should I play on a site that doesn't give you your best hand as Blonde does?

Perhaps at first while you are trying to work out pot odds and percentage calculations it would be better to stick to holdem til you got the hang of it - opening another completely different can of worms at the same time may only confuse the issue.

Once you've got the hang of pot odds and the like and you feel more confident then it might be worth dipping your toe in the omaha water.

sponsored by Fyffes
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2006, 06:31:41 PM »

suzanne

my mental notes on you are to withdraw from the hand if you come out betting. i thought you were tight agressive. i think you can use this to your advantage to steal pots if you have the courage to raise with nothing.

it was interesting observing claws play at the bash. ive seen her play online a couple of times and she is quite aggressive with her raising. always seems to do well. she did not play like that live but that might have been because she didnt want to go out early....is this the case claire?

good luck and i hope you win bucket loads

mad

Patience is a virtue.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2006, 06:37:40 PM »

suzanne

my mental notes on you are to withdraw from the hand if you come out betting. i thought you were tight agressive. i think you can use this to your advantage to steal pots if you have the courage to raise with nothing.

it was interesting observing claws play at the bash. ive seen her play online a couple of times and she is quite aggressive with her raising. always seems to do well. she did not play like that live but that might have been because she didnt want to go out early....is this the case claire?

good luck and i hope you win bucket loads

mad

funny you said that Mad.  I do tend to play fairly loose aggressive in STTs and small field MTTs - in larger MTTs I tighten up a lot for the first few levels.  The reason you wouldn't have seen much aggression from me on saturday is that i never got above starting chips was getting dealt pile of crap after pile of crap until I went out in level 3/4!!!  If I'd stayed in longer you would have seen a much different style of play from me once I'd had a chance to build up a decent stack and the blinds were bigger.

oh yeah - and I was drunk!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 06:38:35 PM »

Suze, it's not that complicated really.

You need to know the odds for common situations like flush and str8 draws. Learn the odds for when there are 2 cards to come then if you need the odds for just one card simply half it.

Knowing the odds is very different from being able to use them properly. In NL they are usually only purely applicable if you or your opponent is all-in before the river. Otherwise your in the more speculative arena of 'implied odds'. Implied odds take into account money you could win if you hit your hand, but which is not yet in pot. Working out implied odds is not an exact science.

If you try to radically alter your style to become more profitable quickly then you will lose. It is far better to let your game evolve slowly. Continue to play in the games that your making in and move up the levels slowly, when you are sufficiently bankrolled. There is nothing wrong with experimenting with other games every so often, but you should know where you're making your money and stick to that as your default.

Here's a simple odds chart.

http://www.texasholdem-poker.com/odds_chart.php?chance_format=percentage&decimals=2&Display=Display

Good luck.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 09:57:03 PM »

But if you are interested in doing some poker computations check this link:

http://www.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/computations.html

Grin

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »

You stated that you have been doing well in stts but not playing mtts as you felt you were weaker heads up.
I think that if you try some more mtts you may find yourself doing better if you reach the final table. Your stt experience will come into use as you will be used to playing short handed tables now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: