blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:42:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Some Dog Advice
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Dog Advice  (Read 1095 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2006, 05:50:09 PM »

Alrite folks, was wondering if any of you have advice on dogs.

I have had my dog now for 5 years almost 6.  He is a 9 year old Golden Labarador.  We have never had any problems with him.  He gets walked reguarly has a good diet and is in really good shape.

However since I returned from a weeks holiday he has been quite distressed.  It was only the 2nd time since I got him that both my mum and I had been away at the same time.  I never wanted him put into kennels when we where away particuarly because guy fawkes night was approaching I thought he'd go nuts if away from his own home.  So I got my young cousin to stay and look after him, she gets on really well with him.  She loves animals and he seems to eg and he enjoys her company.

Since we came back from portugal I haven't had a full nights sleep.  Without fail he is trying to get me and the mother ship up during the night normally around 2 or 3 in the morning and succeeds in keeping us up all night.

He is also digging constantly at the floors and shaking a helluva lot, we never had probs like this before  and I find it quite strange after 5 years.  He has totally ruined a bedroom carpet in the last week by digging it up.

Anyone any suggestions on what could be up?

On the run up to bonfire night I purchased some herbal tablets from a pet store which is supposed to relax dogs and cats, this seemed to do the trick I have even tried giving him some of these in the past few night but they ain't working he is sleeping well till early hours and then without fail back to his tricks.

Any advice much appreciated.

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:55:42 PM »

Are you doing enough to proper knacker him out during the day?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 06:05:26 PM »

There was something similar to this on Victoria Stillwells TV show once.  She said it was separation anxiety, but is seems strange he is still stressed now you are home again.  Perhaps he is stressed that you may go away again.  One of my dogs was a resue dog and he HATES it when I leave him with my Dad and also when my Dad leaves him with me, my other dog isn't bothered.  I think he is just stressed I won't return, but I see him almost every day

http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/p/anxiety_main.htm
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:12:28 PM »

He is also digging constantly at the floors and shaking a helluva lot, we never had probs like this before  and I find it quite strange after 5 years.  He has totally ruined a bedroom carpet in the last week by digging it up.

I would be taking him to the vets. Whilst it might be psychological as described above, he may have an ailment that is making him uncomfortable/distressed

RED DOG would know, but he's in Blackpool

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 06:15:11 PM »

Yea, even simple things to cure such as skin rashes can make dogs act strangely .  Vet sounds a good idea .
stallyon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »

didnt read the main post but here's my post on dogs which should help:

always stay well clear of dogs that are part of a larger pack - remember...a dog thats on her own is easier to train
always treat your dog to lots of treats - bottles of bacardi breezer or wkd blue are well received as are little treats such as packets of crisps, packets of nuts or chocolate bars
show your dog how mcuh you like them by saying nice things such as "your tits look great in that top", "wow, you sure are tight" and "thats a powerful suck youve got there"

and remember....a dogs just not for christmas - buy her a big enough diamond and you wont be able to get rid of the bitch

hope this helps Cheesy

Click to see full-size image.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »

Get an exciting pet! dogs are boring, even the kids lose interest after a while.

Get some Goldfish
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 07:18:41 PM »

Get an exciting pet! dogs are boring, even the kids lose interest after a while.

Get some Goldfish

lol,  very good mate .   I had to read each post twice, I thought you had copied and pasted them  Cheesy
iceman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »

back leaders at crayford
Heid
Nuuuuu Meeeeja Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »

Talk to the young cousin, see what they have to say about the behaviour. It does sound like the tail end of separation anxiety. The more attention you pay to the behaviour the worse it will become.

Everytime you give your dog attention either negative or positive you are rewarding them for behaviour. If your dog has missed you then they will be craving attention.

Next time your dog plays up at 2 am ignore them. No matter what they do, they will then learn that that behaviour doesn't get them attention. When they stop praise them and give them attention. Reawrd good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour.

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no bubble; there is the Final Table.
Sark79

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 10:09:59 PM »

I have heard that before.  When the fireworks are on, people are advised to ignore a trembling dog as the attention given to them is a bad thing because it cements the negative feelings they are experiencing.  I am a softy though and find it difficult to ignore them when they are afraid.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: