blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272644 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Team of the Year
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Team of the Year  (Read 3394 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2006, 11:12:37 AM »

I was listening to 5 Live last night and they are having nominations for the Sporting Team of they Year. 

Final three are

1. The Ryder Cup team.  I don't agree with this.   It's not like they were underdogs going into it - they were favourites and they only had one other team to over come.  Sure it's great to have won, and they did it in style, but I don't really think it's team of the year.

2. St Helens would be worthy winners.  They totally dominated Rugby League last season.  In such a physically demanding sport, I think it's an amazing achievement.

3. Sussex CCC - managed to win the county league and cup double - a great achievement in cricket.

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:18:46 AM »

Its a close one but i think "team primate" just pips "team silo" for the number one spot!!

(i'm sure you have cause to disagree though Wink)

sponsored by Fyffes
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:20:55 AM »

I was listening to 5 Live last night and they are having nominations for the Sporting Team of they Year. 

Final three are

1. The Ryder Cup team.  I don't agree with this.   It's not like they were underdogs going into it - they were favourites and they only had one other team to over come.  Sure it's great to have won, and they did it in style, but I don't really think it's team of the year.

2. St Helens would be worthy winners.  They totally dominated Rugby League last season.  In such a physically demanding sport, I think it's an amazing achievement.

3. Sussex CCC - managed to win the county league and cup double - a great achievement in cricket.

I actually disagree

the Ryder cup was won extremely convincingly against a team with Woods, Mickelson etc. I think Darren Clarke is a shoo-in for BBC Sports Personality too

St Helens? Its a minority sport that isn't really greatly competitive in the UK. Beyond the top 5 or so teams there's not a lot of depth in the super league

Sussex? Yes, but county cricket not really on the radar of the average sports fan unlike the test team for example.

The Ryder cup team will win this in a landslide

Actually, tis a sad reflection that I am struggling to think of any more candidates!!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »

Given that we Brits love to reward 'glorious failure' I'm surprised our BB3 heads up team isn't on the list!

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »

Given that we Brits love to reward 'glorious failure' I'm surprised our BB3 heads up team isn't on the list!

It would have been, except I won my game.

The judges were so befuddled that we were instantly disqualified.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:36:28 PM »

how about teasm england/itb for winning the 5 aside at bb3??/

a bunch of fat guys overcame the young fit guys from grosvenor walsall to claim the prize with the "cat" Tightend as our keeper.

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »

St Helens? Its a minority sport that isn't really greatly competitive in the UK. Beyond the top 5 or so teams there's not a lot of depth in the super league

Erm look at last years table, its more competitive than ever, saint helens were clearly the best in a hyper competive league where any team could beat another. Bottom of the table won a 1/3 of their games, unheard of.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »

Ryder Cup team did a great job, but the comment about rugby league not being competitive certainly counts for the golf too - there were only two teams in it.  Sure they had Woods, Mickleson etc, but we all knew that as a team, they didn't work.  I can't agree that a team in a two horse race that were favourites prior to the start can be team of the year. 

Not sure about Clarke being SPOTY either.  It's a highly emotional decision to give it to Darren.   There are other members of the Ryder Cup team that achieved similar in golfing terms to what Darren did but aren't being considered and other people around that have achieved more in their sports.

Team Silo don't deserve anything Sad I didn't even get to play.  We were rubbish (to coin a phrase)

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 12:51:36 PM »

Team Silo don't deserve anything Sad I didn't even get to play.  We were rubbish (to coin a phrase)

In that case its a closed book, there's only 1 winner.

1: Team Primate

with runner up spot going to......

2: Team Chorlton (due to ScottM's performance in the first APAT event)

Do you think its too late to get my nomination in to SPOTY?

sponsored by Fyffes
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »

email it quickly, you'll be ok Smiley  I'll have a word with Sue Barker for you.

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 01:01:30 PM »

email it quickly, you'll be ok Smiley  I'll have a word with Sue Barker for you.

thumbs up

cheers mate, your a star!!

sponsored by Fyffes
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 02:39:56 PM »

I'm going to vote for Queens Park Rangers FC.

Think it will be a photo finish between the R's and the Ryder Cup team. And Martin Rowlands great goal v Southend might just swing it for the Superhoops.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Mr F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 02:40:35 PM »

I caught the beginning and end of the show last night and heard Gretna mentioned, what was that about?

"Love is better than a warm trombone"

"Table Tennis Rules, they're so confusing it's not played by fools"
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »

I'm going to vote for Queens Park Rangers FC.

Think it will be a photo finish between the R's and the Ryder Cup team. And Martin Rowlands great goal v Southend might just swing it for the Superhoops.

No, this isn't a picture of what broke your back recently - its a picture of what your clutching desperately at!! Wink

sponsored by Fyffes
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »

I caught the beginning and end of the show last night and heard Gretna mentioned, what was that about?

Made the scottish cup final when they were in the Scottish 2nd division and managed to take Hearts to penalties in the final, also qualified Europe on the back of this.

An achievement that has rarely been seen since a young Mark Long (me) took various sides in the lower scottish leagues to domestic and european success in championship manager.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: