blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  A Chip Leader Question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Chip Leader Question  (Read 4191 times)
Phil

AKA mrcoffee182

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2005, 06:13:25 PM »

Ok, I discussed this with Adam M earlier today but would like some more opinions on this situation that came up in my home game recently. I know its not exactly an important tournement on the poker calendar, but I think some of the points in it are important for strategies on how to play as the chip leader.

Ok, the game is NLH with 5 players in a freezout stage of the game. There are 17.5k chips in play and i'm holding about 9-10k.

I'm holding A-10 off in late position (one from the button). The guy in second chip position moves all in under the gun for around 2.5k. Player between us folds, and from pretty obvious body languae around the table, so will the other two.

I folded.

I don't know if this was the right play, but this is why I did it.

1) A-10 is by no means a monster and I could well be beated by a better A or a pair.

2) Even if I am winning I may get outdrawn.

Ok, I know no. 2 isn't the sort of thing you should ever think at a poker table, but that was my main reason for folding. I wasn't 100% sure I was winning, I was pretty sure, but not completely. If i'm wrong, or if I get outdrawn then I drop to around 6.5-7.5k and bring the second place player up to 5k, thus killing my previous huge lead.

By folding I lost nothing (as nothing of mine was in the pot) and also only let him win the blinds, therefore not really changing my strong chip lead.

Opinions? Advice?

1st. West Ham. 2nd Poker
chunkymick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 06:33:06 PM »

Absolutely no question about it you should have moved all-in.
The reasons are:-
1. Discourage anybody else from calling as they will be thinking that they will move up one position if you win the pot.
2. you could possibly be in front with your A-10.
3. If not in front you are probably not that far behind.
4. If you lose the hand you still have a decent stack in front of you.

You can only win a tournament by knocking out all of your opponents.

"Big" Micky Jones
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 06:58:38 PM »

"........absolutely no question...move all-in...." - that'd be the ol "shovel 'em all-in" move, eh Micky?

And what would tikay have done? 5 players left in the comp. I'd have waited for a spot to "move first" with.Then again, I'd have been sat there with one chip. Or, on a good night, as many as 3......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
elblondie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 11:11:10 PM »

Pass. You are correct in your analysis.

It's always best to get your chips in first with hands like A10 and hope they all pass.

If you are going to bully with a chip lead you don't do it by calling all- ins.

i'll walk a million miles for one of your goals
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 10:01:47 AM »

just to show how little I know, I would have called quickly!

P.s If I ever play against ChunkyMick, I think I know what to expect...or is it a reverse tell?!??!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Jonny D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 02:03:24 AM »

You made the correct play, your hand is totally dominated by A-face, and your a dog to any pair.

Chunky, you say in your reasoning that 'you can only win a tournement by knocking all your opponents out'. I disagree, technically you can win it by knocking out just one out! There's alot to be said for staying outta trouble as well in my opinion.

Great website/forum by the way.

Jon

The Felt
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: