blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:01:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Router help please.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Router help please.  (Read 2322 times)
suzanne

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:49:07 AM »

My router has been playing up a bit the last couple of days and wont connect to broadband unless it feels like it so I am guessing I need a new one.

Installing the one I have was a TOTAL nightmare and took varies phonecalls to expensive helplines talking to people I could not understand....grrrr

What I was wondering was...if I bought the exact same router (BT no longer sell it but there is 1 on ebay) would I be able to just plug it in or will I need to go through the whole installation procedure again?

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:51:42 AM »

I have a netgear DG834GT

VERY easy to setup, and touch wood, no problems
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:59:02 AM »

Could also be a line fault though and a new router won't help.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:00:27 AM »

I am just hopeless at pc techy stuff so NOTHING is very easy for me LOL.

The phones were working okay so I assumed the lines were not the problem.
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:36:44 AM »

What is the make and model of the router?
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 05:03:31 AM »

What is the make and model of the router?

Thanks Nem..its BT Wireless Network 1250...since I posted yesterday my connection has been fine however I looked it up on BT and they no longer sell it (cost me near £200 when I bought it).

A chap on ebay is selling a bnib and i asked him for a buy it now price...he now has it up for £35+9 p+p which i thought to be honest was a bit expensive BUT to have a reseve plug in I would pay it.

I need to know if it would simply be a case of replacing the router (ie take 1 plug out and put this 1 in) or if i need to go through the instalation thing regardless in which case I would buy a newer model.
the-oneeye

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 09:27:32 AM »

With bt broadband suzanne ull have to get into the router and set you username and password, usually dont by putting in the address, this will be in the booklet. as far as i am aware u dont need any of the actual software. im using the same router as m3boy and it is excellant although it doesnt work at the 102mbps as is sposed to but im not that fast, still running 4 laptops of it fine though
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:51:12 AM »

As with any router, you will have to log in and enter your broadband username nad password then save it.

Wireless routers are about £40 on ebuyer, so it's not a terrible price for a router, is it wireless g or just b? Might be time to upgrade to a g if it isn't, just a bit faster and slightly longer range usually.

I've installed this modem/router for a few people recently without any proplems, it comes with a wireless USB adapter too which might be useful. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/64780
Zebediah
WSOP Champ 2008

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:29:55 AM »

As with any router, you will have to log in and enter your broadband username nad password then save it.

Wireless routers are about £40 on ebuyer, so it's not a terrible price for a router, is it wireless g or just b? Might be time to upgrade to a g if it isn't, just a bit faster and slightly longer range usually.

I've installed this modem/router for a few people recently without any proplems, it comes with a wireless USB adapter too which might be useful. http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/64780

Yeah 11M might not be fast enough for your broadband  ;-)

Suzanne, are you losing the internet or your wireless connection?
If your network link is up but you're losing the internet then it is probably the phone line or ISP.
If it is the wireless link dropping out read on:

I have a netgear (preferred my D-Link mind) and our baby monitor video thingy plays merry hell with it.
Only works on channel 11, but still causes it to drop out and sometimes the video picture on the monitor plays up.

If a neighbour has bought something similar causing you to lose your wireless connection, next time it happens try changing the channels to see if you find one that doesn't clash.

You're good kid, you're just not ready yet...hold on...you have all my chips
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:17 AM »

Yeah 11M might not be fast enough for your broadband  ;-)

Speed advantage will be mainly for the network, but you can get 16Mbit broadband now, which is faster than 11b, which is capable of 11MBits but usually scales back to 5.5, and broadband speeds aren't goin to get slower...

So yeah, 11b might not be fast enough to use your broadband at full capaity.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 03:36:47 AM »

When I first posted this thread I had 2 days of very poor/no connection...since then it has been ok but connection has been very slow, poker table keeps freezing up and several discos which I havent had before.

My pc is out of noahs ark but it does what I want..ie play poker (1 table and 2 at a push) and Tesco orders.

My sons on the other hand has a more expensive pc and he has now ordered a new tower costing over a grand which will arrive this week...is this going to kill my connection...I suspect it will.

Will I need to upgrade from the basic broadband?...will I need a new/better router? Or better still should I kick his scrawny ass out on the street so he can dump his dirty keks on someone elses bathroom floor?

Do I need a poll 

Any advice on the above appreciated.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 03:41:50 AM »

The PC itself shouldn't be any more taxing on your connection. His usage of the PC might be though, but the things that are likely to have the most effect could easily run on the old one - mainly p2p apps and torrents.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 03:43:40 AM »

Tell your son that if he doesn't give you his old PC when the new one arrives, he can wash his own keks in future.

The older I get, the better I was.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 04:20:06 AM »

The PC itself shouldn't be any more taxing on your connection. His usage of the PC might be though, but the things that are likely to have the most effect could easily run on the old one - mainly p2p apps and torrents.

His PC is on constantly downloading stuff...my leccy bills are through the roof. Will a more powerful tower use more electric?

When he got the one he has I noticed a BIG increase in my bills..might have been standard charge but i have to admit Im worried that his upgrading is going to cost me big time.
suzanne

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 04:21:22 AM »

Tell your son that if he doesn't give you his old PC when the new one arrives, he can wash his own keks in future.

Done deal and dusted ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: