blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  I'll deliberately tune in to watch....Jade?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'll deliberately tune in to watch....Jade?  (Read 23910 times)
KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2007, 01:43:31 AM »

just watched it. We should leave that link as the conclusion to this thread. Im off to bed!

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2007, 01:44:53 AM »

Back to a PC after a coupla days and really interesting to read all this stuff.

There was bullying, the catalyst, I think being typical English issues with class. Many english people remain very conscious of 'class' and can easily be intimidated and daunted by it - I think this led to the kind of behaviour we saw with three very jealous chav lassies ganging up to bully the clearly more intelligent, more refined, more respected, more famous, more beautiful, more capable, more tolerant.. Shilpa who preferred not to discuss, getting trashed, losing her virginity etc etc.

It was easy to see how Shilpa could have been seen as patronising or condescending from time to time but throughout she remained very dignified and showed great mental strength. Ultimately she was able to see the character of the chavs more clearly than they can see themselves - as a result she has shown a great deal of forbearance and forgiveness of their behaviour - dare I say it - classy ! Surprised some people here have said very neagative things about her.

I didn't see any overtly racist stuff directed at Shilpa but a horrible gang and bully mentaility developed and it became clear that Shilpa could do no right. When the gang discussed Shilpa when she was not present it was very clearly racist - 'I think she should fuck off home' being one of the obvious examples. So, racism was very evident but for the most part it was a glimpse into very nasty bullying - imagine how it might have gone if Shilpa didn't have the fall back of being able to seek comfort with the more normal people in the house.

Jade is clearly a little intellectually challenged - I feel sorry for her and feel she is being made a scapegoat - when she said Shilpa Poppadom it would be like one of us referring to an Italian we didn't like and saying something like it was Antonioni Ravioli - bit childish maybe but not racist in my opinion.

When the big row happened she was vile and rude but I don't think it was racist or even bullying at that point, She just showed herself unable to debate on an adult level and resorted to a series of increasingly outlandish insults because she had lost control and was just about self aware enough to realise she couldn't win a normal argument. From that point on she was constantly on the brink of tears because, again, she was just about self aware enough to realise she had done wrong but didn't have the emotional intelligence to retrieve the situation.

I think Jade is guileless and fundamentally good hearted. Danielle and Jo were the truly nasty pieces in this play - ugly people, ugly characters who egged Jade on in an insidious way and then tried to present themselves as following Jade's lead - shockingly awful people. People whose faces, frankly, I would never tire of slapping.

I think the programme makers handled this reasonably well - I guess we don't know all the communications that go on between them and the contestants but I liked the way they appeared to resist the pressure to wade in and tell people to stop. Instead they held a mirror up to people like Danielle with open questions like 'What did you mean when you said xxxx ?' Far more effective and exposing of their hate-filled agenda.

I do think it is easy to be too PC and brand too many things as racist rather than 'differentist' but, as Flushy has alluded to many times very eloquently in this thread, it is probably better to be too PC than to let a kind of casual racism (prevalent still in the UK in my view) go unchallenged.

On a positive note, in many ways I think it is amazing how little overt racism there is in this country as opposed to how much there is. Also, it is a massively more positive environment for asian/black people here now than say 20 years ago.

Don't know why I wrote so much but I think it's because this programme has ended up stimulating a whole load of deabte about the nature of our society that it's irresistible to have ones own tuppenceworth.

xxx

sola virtus nobilitat
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2007, 01:53:08 AM »

I think Jade is guileless and fundamentally good hearted. Danielle and Jo were the truly nasty pieces in this play - ugly people, ugly characters who egged Jade on in an insidious way and then tried to present themselves as following Jade's lead - shockingly awful people. People whose faces, frankly, I would never tire of slapping.

Agreed.

good post

off to bed, Chris Rock rocks for sure:)

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2007, 02:45:45 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q8LxO4wnCQ

ok last one for tonite, he is just so great... this one is about racism;)

Watched this the other night, couldn't help wondering if it was a white person saying exactly the same routine except using the word Chav instead of Nigga and White instead of Black what the reaction would be here...
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2007, 02:56:53 AM »

You and Aki Nawaz might get on.  Smiley

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2007, 03:12:13 AM »

Watched this the other night, couldn't help wondering if it was a white person saying exactly the same routine except using the word Chav instead of Nigga and White instead of Black what the reaction would be here...

He admits it at least

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEwFhZWO_c

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
tantrum
K2o

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »

I think it's called self-irony...

Insert Quote
Quote from: byronkincaid on Today at 02:45:45 am

There is a difference; as he is commenting on a situation that exists in the states and the divide that is very prevalent within the Afro-Caribbean community.  This divide is pretty bad, and it can't be compared to the divide between the 'Chavs' and 'Whites'.

what about this though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi3DmCD5A_U&NR

would a white guy could get away with that?

'Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.'
Francis Bacon
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: