blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  ISP help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ISP help  (Read 1003 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:04:09 PM »

is there any broadband ISPs that allow users with win98se ?

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:23:57 PM »

Thought i'd replied to this. If you use a router I imagine any would be ok.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »

donating an old computer to aless fortnate person that has never had a pc before if the order a cheap broadband would the modem they are supplid be be compatible?

TightPaulFolds

Not a moderator in any fashion whatsoever

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »

Most broadband modems are USB, the USB bus is supported from Win98 onwards, 95 missed it. There should be no problems.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »

Unless there are not drivers/software for the modem for win98...

TightPaulFolds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »

Unless there are not drivers/software for the modem for win98...
For sure.
I'm on Pipex via a Speedtouch usb modem, has drivers for win98->
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 03:38:43 AM »

What spec is the PC? Sticking XP on it wud be a lot better for them.

It's nice your giving them your PC, BUT
If they are getting broadband then they might as well get a new PC or at least one with XP.
Are you ready for any support issues etc, there will probably be a lot of questions and problems, moreso with it being Win98.

If they get a PC from elsewhere, you are less responsible, but can still help out.

£200 for a new PC, or maybe £100 for 2nd hand, still capable of running XP.

If this is just a taster for them to see if they take to a PC, then don't sign them up to a years broadband...
dial-up wud be a cheap taster. If your worried about call costs, fast4.net do an unlimited dial up account for about £5/month no contract.

Hope some of this is useful, don't mean to poo poo your plan.

In answer to you specific question then, all ISPs will support win98, it depends on which crappy modem they supply. You can get round that by using a modem/router as suggested. You will need a network port on the PC for that (or you can add a network card or wireless card). If they are in an area that has cable then the NTL modem (and probably other cable modems but I have no experience of them) uses an ethernet (network) interface not USB so that will work.

I recommend anyone who is using a USB modem upgrade to a router, broadband is always on not dial-up like the USB modems make it.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:41:02 AM »

What benefits do you think XP would have over 98SE in this instance?

RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 01:43:13 PM »

it's easier to use. it crashes less. porgrams are more supported (eg the latest 2 MS office wont work on win98 (3 if you include office2007 but not technically out yet). it will be the same as anyone else's PC they ask for help. drivers widely available and often automatic via windows update. system restore if they mess anything up.

usb flash drives, cameras, mobile phones via usb, external hard drives. any of those will all be recognised automatifcally. digital cameras (err and the internet) are responsible for massive uptake of PCs for previous non-PC users.

so all in all it will be a nicer and less frustrating experience for them.

and they wont have to relearn when they eventually upgrade to XP.

There is a conplete XP home PC for £213 here :
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=49N8&CategorySelectedId=11101&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11101&InMerch=1

I'm pretty sure you could get set up for XP with under £100 if you went 2nd hand even if you just strolled into a shop too (not PC world! a private / back alley PC repair shop - although they might not actually let you have a licence for XP for that price, i'm sure you could find a copy). Next port of call is ebay and you might be looking at under £50 if your selective.

Win XP minimum specification says 300MHz, 128MB RAM, now it wud be a bit slow with that but you can see, not many PCs wont actually run it, do you know the specs of you old PC ironside? I'd stick at least 256MB RAM in whatever PC and hopefully 600MHz CPU, that's still pretty modest but wud probably run fine for a beginners uses.
TightPaulFolds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »

P 1.5 Mhz 256 mb ram 20 gb hdd with authentic xp around £65 delivered, from Ebay. Now that Vista is coming out...people will be paying you to collect them.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »

None of which really makes me think it's worth spending the money though. If the bloke actually uses the computer then maybe investing the cash (£50+) would be worth it.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 06:05:20 PM »

the PC is actaully for a girl who basically wants it too look for work and keep in touch with friends via email

her last few jobs have all been part time minimium wage jobs and she cant afford a PC any other way

her broadband will be paid for by her mum

ibasically i loved win98se and found it more realible than XP and i also know how to work with 98 better

i went onto some of the major broadband site and 98se is the minimium requirement so i should be ok

i thought when my brother went online they told him he had to have winXP but i was mistaken his pc at the time was a 95 machine

thanks for your help

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: