blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  AK Big Sick
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AK Big Sick  (Read 2714 times)
TightPaulFolds

Not a moderator in any fashion whatsoever

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »

Live SnG.

7 players. Blinds 50-100. Starting stack 1000. You have 1300 chips, roughly the mode.

You are on the big blind. Action folds round to the button. Medium loose aggressive chip leader on the button with 2000 chips raises to 300. LooserAggressive in small blind pushes all in for 1300. You look down at  .

What do you do?
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:16:59 PM »

call
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »

I fold

At best your against AQ/AJ and thats unlikley to warrant a push, a middle pair has it a virtual coin toss and that negates the possibility of initial raiser calling or holding one or more of your cards.  I dont see the point in risking all your stack at this point when you have no clear edge.  Id be more than happy for chip leader to call and possibly eliminate one of the competition. AK is a hand to lead out with, not call,  in my humble opinion.

King of the river check-raise
Bazzaboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »

I fold

At best your against AQ/AJ and thats unlikley to warrant a push, a middle pair has it a virtual coin toss and that negates the possibility of initial raiser calling or holding one or more of your cards.  I dont see the point in risking all your stack at this point when you have no clear edge.  Id be more than happy for chip leader to call and possibly eliminate one of the competition. AK is a hand to lead out with, not call,  in my humble opinion.

Are you serious?  Buttons range is huge. SB's range isnt much narrower and includes a whole host of hands you crush.
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »

I fold

Are you serious?  Buttons range is huge. SB's range isnt much narrower and includes a whole host of hands you crush.

Disagree. The blinds are not at a level that would induce a significant gear change from the button, although I accept maybe hes stealing (maybe im being too conservative). I still think that at this level the SB wouldnt push with much that would yield a significant edge, as previously stated. Thats the beauty of this forum I guess, we can agree to disagree.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:13:42 PM »

Folding this is evidence of certifiable insanity
Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 04:21:32 PM »

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »

all in never fold the AK in a crapshoot unless you know your against AA or KK

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
AgentChip109

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 04:28:35 PM »

yeah im pretty certain this is a call. with the structure that is mentioned i feel this is a good opportunity the win a big pot and be comfortable for a while. as mentioned the buttons hand range is huge and the SB has a pretty decent range too. im prepared for a 50/50 at eorst in this spot

Edgy811 - Party, Full Tilt, Pokerstars
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:10 PM »

Would love to "know" when im up against this with AK. In a 3-way coup, is it even possible?

I call. All day long, every day. Then button shoves and you have 2 pots to win. SB's range against aggy button is gigantic.
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »

That seems quite a weak argument to me - against all pairs AK is a dog, allbeit marginal. To just go with a hand on speculation that youll win a coin toss seems somewhat naive.

By all means lead out with AK if you so wish, as there will be fold equity to factor in, but in a calling situation id either need very tasty odds, a good level or so later, or a surefire sense that he overplays weak aces or picture hands.

I agree that there is a range the button maybe playing a wider number of hands but that is almost an irrelevance now as the SB has pushed when they potentially are only loosing the value of a SB, that- for me at least- is an aggressive move ahead of time, which indicates a smaller range of hands than I think you guys are suggesting. But hey ho im probably wrong.

dime

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »

Normally I'm not a fan of AK, it is normally a very tricky hand to play and seems to realy come into its own to battle against the forces of evil blind stealers (more often than not far more useful in the latter stages of a tournamnet than initally). owever from the situation described it sounds like the SB has half a hand and is fed up with the button's aggresive betting so is making a stand. I put him on a big enough hand range that I'm unlikley to be much less than 50-50 if the button folds, which I would expect him to.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 05:30:30 PM »

That seems quite a weak argument to me - against all pairs AK is a dog, allbeit marginal. To just go with a hand on speculation that youll win a coin toss seems somewhat naive.
By all means lead out with AK if you so wish, as there will be fold equity to factor in, but in a calling situation id either need very tasty odds, a good level or so later, or a surefire sense that he overplays weak aces or picture hands.

I agree that there is a range the button maybe playing a wider number of hands but that is almost an irrelevance now as the SB has pushed when they potentially are only loosing the value of a SB, that- for me at least- is an aggressive move ahead of time, which indicates a smaller range of hands than I think you guys are suggesting. But hey ho im probably wrong.

Ur right. I should wait for Aces in a crapshoot.
maxward

WSOP ME 2007

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »

[/quote]

Ur right. I should wait for Aces in a crapshoot.
[/quote]

thats hardly what im saying, its about pickimg your spots, im not advocating boycotting AK but just not on this ocassion.

I just disagree with Ironisde when he said that hed never fold AK in a crapshot

TightPaulFolds

Not a moderator in any fashion whatsoever

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 06:34:55 PM »

I suppose a factor is, how good you think you are compared to the field. I remember Phil Helmuth saying that if he knows he can consistently outplay someone, why should he keep running into coinflips with them and lose the edge. I was at best average against this field though.

Here, I'm putting someone on a pair, and obviously I'm not 5050 if the other guy has A or K.

Anyway, I can hear boldie and flushy coming, so I'll just go quietly...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 06:45:35 PM by TightPaulFolds » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: