blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Low stakes NL HE. Overpairs postflop, releasing early. ONLINE
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low stakes NL HE. Overpairs postflop, releasing early. ONLINE  (Read 784 times)
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »

$1/$2 NL. Stack sizes range from $100 to $1200 (i know, guy was on a roll). Im on $300.
For example. Holding QQ last night, i raised preflop to $10 to play from the BB with 3 limpers. 2 players call and there are 3 of us to the flop. Flop is ugly as sin.      . I bet 20 into $30. Second player raises to $50. Third player calls. I used to keep playing this. I auto-muck now.

eg.2. I raise to $8 preflop and get 4 callers with KK. Flop comes 997. 1st player to act bets, 1 player calls. I muck now. 

Is auto-mucking overpairs to multiway flop aggression a key part of losing less? Smartmoney's response eagerly anticipated.

M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:20:55 AM »

I think it is yes.

MOST of the time you will now be behind.

At that level, let the "other" guy with the overpair pay YOU off when u hit the flop big.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »

$1/$2 NL. Stack sizes range from $100 to $1200 (i know, guy was on a roll). Im on $300.
For example. Holding QQ last night, i raised preflop to $10 to play from the BB with 3 limpers. 2 players call and there are 3 of us to the flop. Flop is ugly as sin.      . I bet 20 into $30. Second player raises to $50. Third player calls. I used to keep playing this. I auto-muck now.

eg.2. I raise to $8 preflop and get 4 callers with KK. Flop comes 997. 1st player to act bets, 1 player calls. I muck now. 

Is auto-mucking overpairs to multiway flop aggression a key part of losing less? Smartmoney's response eagerly anticipated.

I am honoured Alex. Smiley

Firstly, all my suggestions are based on full-handed games, which is all that I play. Also, because I play 12x tables at a time, I basically stick to a "formula" that pays very well, however it may not always be optimal if you were only playing one or two tables where you will obviously be in a position to study your opponents closer. Generally though, I play fairly passively with hands that aren't monsters (and AA/KK/QQ post-flop are not monsters) and very aggressively with very strong hands.

I'm never looking to win big pots with high pairs that don't improve when I am the pre-flop aggressor, and I'm happy to take the pot down pre-flop or on the flop. (If I'm slow-playing AA against a tight opponent's aggression pre-flop, then that's a little different.)

First example: Absolutely, 100% fold. The times you are behind will far outway the times you are ahead. It's also important to remember that even when you are ahead, you're unlikely to be a big favourite anyway. Add in the fact that you are out of position, and there really is no decision to be made.

Second example: This isn't an automatic fold because it depends on the size on your opponent's flop bet and the fact that you have position. I may raise here to see how they act, and then check behind on turn and then see how they act again on river. Alternatively I may just call, and min raise a turn bet if it's not too large, and then check behind on river.

In general though to answer your question: "Is auto-mucking overpairs to multiway flop aggression a key part of losing less?"

Yes!

(One exception: If your opponent is fairly short-stacked, and as long as you charged him a significant %age of his stack to call pre-flop then I rarely fold. He's already paid over the odds without receiving the necessary implied odds to hit.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 10:44:43 AM by Smart Money » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: