blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  J 8 Suited - Opinions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: J 8 Suited - Opinions  (Read 967 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:13:25 PM »

Right folks your opinions on this hand please.

Playing a MTT loads and loads of runners we are down to last 350 money starts at 130th so no where near it yet.  We are comfortable, infact very comfortable with chips we have around 37k avergae is 21k.

We are in the cut off with and blinds are 400/800 there where 4 limpers and the blinds have still to act.  I think its worth seeing a flop with these hands sometimes, if you hit it can be profitable and u can get away from it to a raise or a dodgy flop.

Anyway,  flop comes the sb passed bb opted for a check 5 players.

Action was

check
bet 1400
call
call
pass

I crank it up to 10k -  and get a call from original bettor the turn is an

He has me covered by 2/3k  and check I bet 16k he pushes

I have about 9k back what do you do?

Don't have any notes on the fella I hadn't been at table long he had put in a few big raises and got some of smaller stacks to pass.  He did seem quite aggressive. 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:15:20 PM by GlasgowBandit » Logged

johnbhoy76

It's f***in boring after a while without the cards

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:45:35 PM »

There's about 45,000 in the pot now? (or maybe more)

5 to 1 pot odds to call

If he has a set or top two pair you have 9 outs to the flush and are 4 to 1 to hit it.

If he is chasing the nut flush then you are in front just now to various degrees depending on what cards he has.

If he has top pair then you are also in front

Always factor in a 5%-10% chance that he's a mental case and has absolutely nothing

So it's a call for me
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:47:13 PM by johnbhoy76 » Logged

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook
Yeah, yeah, yeah
AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 10:04:27 PM »

uv hit 1 of ur major cards which u would have wanted to hit pre flop and therefore u shud be willing to call this if ur putting urself in this situation pre flop....if he has set ur behind but still have outs.... if he has top 2 u still got flush and 8 draws if he got same hand then u got flush draw too....i say call as u have so many outs and so much in the pot alredy even if u r behind u can still win alot

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:21:06 AM »

Rofl!! Anyone who folds here is a muppet. 5-1 and ur winning anyway, Its unlikely raiser has a huge made hand as he would surely want to freeze out draws on the flop, especially with so many players acting after him. Im giving you the 2 8's as outs too so you have 11 on the river. Dont tell me you folded.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »

As Flushy would say I "insta-call" matey flips AK happy days!  til the 5 came on river!

MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 01:50:49 PM »

Playing a MTT loads and loads of runners we are down to last 350 money starts at 130th so no where near it yet.  We are comfortable, infact very comfortable with chips we have around 37k avergae is 21k.

With the chips that you have it is true that you have a bit of temporary breathing space. But with 350 players left there are a significant amount of chips still to play for. If you want to give yourself a shot at winning the event you can't afford to take your foot off the gas for a second.

You have made a speculative call with the J-8 and hit a really good flop.

The original bettor puts 1,400 into a 4,400 pot with plenty of bodies behind him. So I agree with Alex here in saying that his likely holding is far from strong. He could very well have a draw himself and is trying to control the price of the turn card.

You put in a significant raise and the original bettor only flat calls. With almost 20k in this sizeable pot surely an all-in would be forthcoming from a monster hand on this dangerours drawing flop. The flat-call signifies a strong draw in my eyes.

When the 8 comes your hand gets even stronger. If you do find yourself behind, which I doubt, then you will certainly not be drawing dead.

Of course you could fold here and leave yourself with 9k, but you will gambling again soon enough and probably in a situation far less favourable than this. Importantly, the time to make this decision though was before committing a further 16k on the turn. Once you make this bet you are now going all the way. And I for one fancy your chances.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:10:43 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 02:55:19 PM »

it's always a call

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 05:16:49 PM »

There was never a question for me as to whether I was calling or not.

I was interested in how others would have played the hand. 

If in my opponents position would you have played the AK in a similar fashion?

I think personally I'd have been opening for a raise and certainly betting out much more on the flop. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: