blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Opening raises in short-handed cash games.........
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opening raises in short-handed cash games.........  (Read 912 times)
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:43:33 AM »

Hi cash players, i always used to operate on a 3*BB opening bet, upping it by 1 BB for every limper when playing in solid mode. Iv recently been having some in depth chats with a mate of mine and been experimenting with slightly larger (4*BB) opening raises.

Im finding this stops players flat calling behind you with a big pair, or, even better, tempts them to make minimum re-raises gifting you impied pot odds. Also helps to define opponents hand better, very useful when oop.

Anyone else have any thoughts re. this?
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 02:02:55 AM »

Everytime i start a cash session, say 3 tabling i always open for the pot if im first to enter the pot, ie $14 in a $2-4 game, $35 in a $5-10 game $70 in a $10-20 game. However this may be adjusted once some hands go to showdown and i get information on what hands ppl are flat calling with etc....

At the start of every session im usually crazy LAG opening everything suited and slightly connected for a few different reasons. The first is i want to get a feel for the flow of the table and see how everyone is playing. You have to be fully aware of what image you are portraying, and what is the most likely response is from your opponents. Sometimes i will drop a buy in right at the start of a session on a crazy draw and then make the money back over then eventually end up in profit for the session after getting paid off on my good hands. My style doesnt suit big raises preflop as i want to take a lot of pots down postflop so increasing my preflop raise means i have to bet more after the flop % of the pot wise.

Just out of interest, why would raising 4x instead of 3x stop some1 flat calling with a big pair? Its something I do to mix it up, but dont see how that small increase of preflop raise would deter that. Its just something to be wary of at all levels from good tricky players.

Also just in case anyway says why do i play crazy LAG everytime, instead of doing it once or twice and making notes. Notes are valuable tools, but a lot of shorthanded cash play goes on the flow of the game and people reacting to situations. I want to get a feel for the game and how the players are playing in this particular game, not from my note using pokertracker telling me player A flat calls a little too much preflop!

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

Pab, how long would you play in a typical session?

are you often playing against the same foes? does your style above not become overly familiar to them?

How important is randomising/completely mixing up your play?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »

Id say my typical session is around 2 hours, playing 3 tables. 

I do play quite regualrly against the same people, and they are probably familiar with my style. I pride my cash game play on being highly unpredictable and make it very difficuly for my opponents to put me on hands. I want the to be guessing all the time, if i have it this time or not.

The statement before about playing LAG at the start and then tightening up was just a basic example of how I start most of my short handed cash game sessions. The main aim is to play lots of pots with all the players at the table, analyze the information and use it to manipulate favourable situations later in the session

Adapting to the current table, and being very aware of your image and using it to your advantage are critical to short handed cash games IMO. Mixing up your play is important, regardless of what format of poker you are playing. I consider myself a creative player in cash games, not exaclty othordox and it seems to be working out well so far. Its only in the past 6 months that ive really started concentrating on my cash game so still have a lot to learn, but seems to be working out well so far

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 02:20:36 PM »

Id say my typical session is around 2 hours, playing 3 tables. 

I do play quite regualrly against the same people, and they are probably familiar with my style. I pride my cash game play on being highly unpredictable and make it very difficuly for my opponents to put me on hands. I want the to be guessing all the time, if i have it this time or not.

The statement before about playing LAG at the start and then tightening up was just a basic example of how I start most of my short handed cash game sessions. The main aim is to play lots of pots with all the players at the table, analyze the information and use it to manipulate favourable situations later in the session
Adapting to the current table, and being very aware of your image and using it to your advantage are critical to short handed cash games IMO. Mixing up your play is important, regardless of what format of poker you are playing. I consider myself a creative player in cash games, not exaclty othordox and it seems to be working out well so far. Its only in the past 6 months that ive really started concentrating on my cash game so still have a lot to learn, but seems to be working out well so far

Quality post, esp wrt guessing games.

With respect to people flat calling behind slightly larger opening raises, im assuming players are more inclined to test your hand strength preflop when in possesion of a strong hand that doesnt like flops, QQ/JJ for example. Seems the marginally bigger raise flushes out the bigger hands preflop.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: